Rome - "Caesarion" - 10/16

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-05, 01:06 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Rome - "Caesarion" - 10/16

Spoiler:
Having pursued Pompey into Egypt, Caesar arrives in Alexandria and meets the boy king Ptolemy XIII, who offers the general a surprise gift. Vorenus and Pullo play liberators again, freeing Ptolemy's incarcerated sister, Cleopatra. Caesar seeks payment from Egypt for past debts, and ends up forging a strategic union to ensure his legacy.

Last new episode until the 30th
Old 10-16-05, 05:34 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
Last new episode until the 30th
You make it sound like they take some huge break .
Old 10-16-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once again Pullo delivers! "Hello ladies"
Old 10-16-05, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
For you 'gentle' fellows

Lots of boobage, but one baby penis.

Did you shut it off?

I would pay good money to go to the theatres and see THE ADVENTURES OF VORENUS AND PULLO...they rock

My one problem with the show so far had been that we didnt see enough of the other cultures, but this episode delivered.
Old 10-16-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Yeah, a 2-week wait is nothing compared to some of those "Sopranos" hiatuses. They're really moving things along time-wise -- it looks like we're out of Egypt, covering about 2 years in 1 episode. Probably aiming to finish the season at (don't know how you guys feel about historical spoilers)
Spoiler:
the assassination of Caesar -- though really, if anyone doesn't know that you deserve to get spoiled. Something tells me Pullo will find a way to be in the room when that happens too.
Interesting portrayal of Cleopatra, and probably a lot more historically accurate than most we've seen, though doubtless some will be disappointed she wasn't some typical Hollywood bombshell.
Old 10-17-05, 08:54 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Solid episode last night. Loved Vorenus' glare at Pullo when Caesar walks out with the baby.
Old 10-17-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Pullo and Caesar make the show worth it.
Old 10-17-05, 09:59 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
In history world, did Cleopatra have caesar's kid?

This was one of the slower eps for sure, but still good....
Old 10-17-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I loved when Vorenus gives Pullo an "order" to go into Cleopatra's tent.

Next you see him push her up against the wall and in the background we hear those guys are outside chanting!!
Old 10-17-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
Loved Vorenus' glare at Pullo when Caesar walks out with the baby.
That look was priceless.

As stated earlier by brainee, I liked the series portrayal of Cleopatra. Does anybody know who was the actress playing her? I know it wasn't her but she reminds me of Rachel Weistz (sp.) from the Mummy movies.
Old 10-17-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
I would pay good money to go to the theatres and see THE ADVENTURES OF VORENUS AND PULLO...they rock

Best 'buddie' duo since Redford and Newman in Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid.
Old 10-17-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
As stated earlier by brainee, I liked the series portrayal of Cleopatra. Does anybody know who was the actress playing her?
Her name is Lyndsey Marshal. Looks like she's done mostly British tv and theater up to now (though she does have a credit in "The Hours").
Old 10-17-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
In history world, did Cleopatra have caesar's kid?

This was one of the slower eps for sure, but still good....
This show seems to following history quite closely so far. Yes, Cleopatra did have Caesar's kid while he was in Egypt. And the fate of the kid (according to history) will be:
Spoiler:
to be murdered by Augustus Caesar (now Octavian in the show). As Julius Caesar's newphew, Octavian makes a power-play to be the ruler of Rome. However, he fears the true son of Julius Caesar might present a problem to him down the road, so he orders him killed and Cleopatra imprisoned. Grief-struck, Cleopatra commits suicide (according to the story, with a poisoned asp). So you can see how Octavian's cold, ruthless logic (displayed with the adulteror) will serve him well later in his political career.

Wow, you know "Rome" is a fast-paced show when they cover the entire story of Julius Caesar and Cleopatra in Egypt (with the retaliations against Pompey's murderers, the alliance with Cleopatra, the love affair, the war with Ptolemy, and the birth of Caesar's son) and some call it a "slow ep". There could easily be an entire season of material right there.
Old 10-17-05, 03:18 PM

Solid episode in general but I did have a major gripe with how they handled the Caesar/Cleopatra bit. I understand that Caesar certainly wanted a son but there was virtually no chemistry between the two characters. I'm not blaming the actor's b/c it seemed that the writing didn't seem to call for any sort of amorous interaction (outside of the sex). Given Cleopatra's aim to seduce him I would've expected more out of it in terms of her being well "seductive" and Caesar falling hard for her. Instead they talked for a bit and then just fucked.

Or am I looking for something that isn't there (i.e. was it really just about Caesar finally getting an heir?).
Old 10-17-05, 05:13 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Next you see him push her up against the wall and in the background we hear those guys are outside chanting!!
I think the chanting was the other women that were in the tent with them

I liked this episode a lot.

Caesar yelling at Ptolemy and the kid running and hiding was hilarious. They really flew through history tonight.
Old 10-17-05, 08:53 PM

Is octavian going to be replaced by another actor in the next episodes? Several years have passed since we last saw him in the show.

Is this a mini-series or is it a full multi-season show? It seams they are going over a lot of history too quick.
Old 10-17-05, 10:03 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Someone mentioned HBO had a second season ordered already.
Old 10-17-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mayfieldbrian
Is octavian going to be replaced by another actor in the next episodes? Several years have passed since we last saw him in the show.

Is this a mini-series or is it a full multi-season show? It seams they are going over a lot of history too quick.
It depends on how far they want to go. Just going through Nero's death (I Claudius ended at the beginning of his reign) gives them 120 years to play with. I doubt they want to go that long but there is certainly no shortage of material. The real Rome lasted a long time and was endlessly fascinating.
Old 10-18-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brainee
Wow, you know "Rome" is a fast-paced show when they cover the entire story of Julius Caesar and Cleopatra in Egypt (with the retaliations against Pompey's murderers, the alliance with Cleopatra, the love affair, the war with Ptolemy, and the birth of Caesar's son) and some call it a "slow ep". There could easily be an entire season of material right there.
It's going too fast for me. I feel like we're missing significant bits. What they are showing is interesting and entertaining, but I want more detail.
Old 10-18-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
was the mother/daughter lesbo love also a historical fact?
Old 10-18-05, 12:32 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by al_bundy
was the mother/daughter lesbo love also a historical fact?

I thought it was Servilia (Brutus' mother) and Octavia (Atia's daughter).
Old 10-18-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes it is. It's not mother/daughter lesbo action.

although that would be ok with me too
Old 10-18-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Fokker's Feint
I understand that Caesar certainly wanted a son but there was virtually no chemistry between the two characters. I'm not blaming the actor's b/c it seemed that the writing didn't seem to call for any sort of amorous interaction (outside of the sex).
I didn't expect any. It was purely political for Caesar.
Old 10-18-05, 01:11 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I didn't expect any. It was purely political for Caesar.
It was political for Cleopatra too (as in, her and Caesar do the nasty, and she gets to live and probably rule Egypt.)
Old 10-18-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phil L.
Yes it is. It's not mother/daughter lesbo action.

although that would be ok with me too
my bad, i'll have to catch this on DVD then to get all the details that I missed the first time around

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.