DVD Talk
Million More March this weekend [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Million More March this weekend

nemein
10-13-05, 07:26 AM
http://www.millionsmoremovement.com/

Farrakhan is on CSPAN right now promoting it. As usual he has a very one sided POV and is quick dismiss anyone who disagrees w/ him (not uncommon for political figures at his level though ;)). Since there hasn't been a thread started about this yet I thought I would see if anyone was interested/following this.

Also one of his statements was about systemic racism, mainly in the context of the response to Katrina and how the FedGov didn't do enough (even though he skirted over responsibility at the state/local level) and that it was because of "systemic racism". So I thought a poll would be fun too.

<i>MOD NOTE: I realize this topic could quickly get out of control so please be on your best behavior...</i>

BTW IMHO nemein loses respect for people who refer to themselves in the third person (which he has done frequently this morning) ;)

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/1-10092005-552798.html
Hurricane Katrina thrust racial disparities onto the nation's political agenda and top civil rights leaders, fueled by outrage over the disaster, are heading to Washington. The occasion is the 10th anniversary of Louis Farrakhan's Million Man March, a long-planned event that now is shaping up as a stage for black America to respond to the devastation in New Orleans.

"Because Katrina put it out there, no one can play the pretend game any more that there isn't poverty and inequality in this country," said Marc Morial, president of the National Urban League. "The Millions More Movement - Katrina gives it added significance."

Though Farrakhan has long stirred controversy - and lately he has speculated that New Orleans' levees were bombed to destroy black neighborhoods - his event will unite a wide array of prominent social justice advocates. The guest list for Saturday's event includes members of Congress, hip-hop artists, civil rights activists, media pundits, academics and business leaders. Muslim and Christian religious figures will also participate.

"The need to save our people - it's so much bigger than the personality or the baggage that has been heaped on Louis Farrakhan or others," Farrakhan said. "Katrina has focused this agenda."

At the 1995 rally, Farrakhan was "a facilitator," said Ronald Walters, a political scientist at the University of Maryland. Most people had "a range of other reasons why they came, and I would venture to say that's pretty much his role this time around."

The daylong gathering is scheduled to begin at dawn with a public memorial service for those who died in the hurricane, followed by music, prayer, dancing and dozens of speeches.

Event spokeswoman Linda Boyd said the goal is to build on the themes of 1995, which focused on urging black men to take responsibility for improving their families and communities, creating a movement that gets people to act for change locally and nationally.

Many who advocate for disadvantaged groups said the rally at the National Mall comes at a pivotal time.

Images of chaos and death as Katrina's flood waters engulfed black neighborhoods shocked many Americans: poor New Orleans residents, many black, begging for rescue; corpses on the street; looting. Prominent opinion-makers from the president on down suddenly talked about poverty and racial inequality.

Dianne Pinderhughes, a political scientist who focuses on race issues at the University of Illinois, said that in recent years the nation's generally conservative political climate has sidelined many of those discussions.

"This is very much an opportunity to change the tendency that has been the case in the last 20 years to dismiss issues of economic standing, equality, all of those things that suddenly became very prominent in the wake of Katrina," Pinderhughes said.

Civil rights leader Jesse Jackson agreed. "The poor and the working poor have been locked out of the nation's consciousness, even by the media and by many ministers," he said. "Katrina washed away the debris that was covering the locked out and left behind."

Days after the hurricane hit, Morial testified before Congress, urging officials to set up a victims' compensation fund similar to that created after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Bruce Gordon, president of the NAACP, toured affected areas and his group has collected more than $1.2 million to respond to Katrina and future natural disasters.

Officials with the National Council of La Raza, a Hispanic civil rights group, are battling the deportation of some undocumented hurricane survivors and they - along with the Asian American Justice Center - are pushing disaster relief organizations to create permanent bilingual resources.

The hurricane "is changing the way we're going to be doing business for quite some time," said Lisa Navarrete, a La Raza vice president. As of last week, no one from La Raza had been invited to Farrakhan's event, Navarrete said, but Millions More organizers have said all ethnic and religious groups - as well as women - are welcome, unlike at the 1995 event which was for black men.

Still, not everyone is supportive. For months, the Anti-Defamation League has been urging black leaders to boycott, calling Farrakhan and another organizer, Malik Zulu Shabazz, "unrepentant racists and anti-Semites."

Despite anti-gay statements made by Farrakhan, some black gay and lesbian leaders have requested time to speak at the event to no avail. Instead, gay advocates will stage a "We Are Family United Weekend," a parallel gathering near the Mall, said Ray Daniels of the National Black Justice Coalition.

In recent weeks, Farrakhan has raised eyebrows by speculating that New Orleans' levees did not collapse beneath the rising waters of Lake Pontchartrain, but that they were bombed.

"Is this a means of getting rid of the poor? The black?" Farrakhan asked in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "Is this a means of ensuring that in the elections there will never again be a black or Creole mayor of that city?"

Russell Simmons, chairman of the Hip Hop Action Summit, who has helped pull in a long list of entertainers to participate, said he doesn't know what happened to the levees.

"I don't agree with every single thing anybody says," he said, "but what he (Farrakhan) says about poor people and spiritual practice and being responsible for your family ... that speaks to me."

grundle
10-13-05, 07:52 AM
Event spokeswoman Linda Boyd said the goal is to build on the themes of 1995, which focused on urging black men to take responsibility for improving their families and communities, creating a movement that gets people to act for change locally and nationally.

I applaud this goal.

But that was 10 years ago. Today the black illegitimacy rate is 70%. It doesn't look like the march from 10 years ago has accomplished anything.

Th0r S1mpson
10-13-05, 08:01 AM
What do we have... 1 more generation before these arguments become annoying to the entire population? Okay, I can wait.

Farrakhan is all about race, not poverty issues. Did Katrina "reveal" poverty? I guess to some... to me it revealed more about nature than anything racial. I didn't realize it was some big secret that there are large black communities in America or that there were large poor areas in America. What equality are we suposed to strive for in this? Economic equality of all citizens? A higher minimum standard of living? Or is his goal to have black people and poor people from these communities spread out into "white" communities where they can be equally protected from future disasters? Well, Katrina took care of that. Maybe he should encourage people not to move back. Making Katrina into a racial issue is, in my opinion, a very bad idea. It only emphasises division. Statements such as "Is this a means of ensuring that in the elections there will never again be a black or Creole mayor of that city?" shows his true line of thinking. It's not about poverty. It's about the white man keeping the black man down, even through mass murder. Such statements only bring a divisive reaction from both races.

He has said so many stupid things over the years, I would have a hard time associating myself with any event he even showed up at.

Tracer Bullet
10-13-05, 08:51 AM
Jim Crow was "systemic racism". Whatever racism we have now is not supported by the government, so I have to say Farrakhan is an idiot.

kvrdave
10-13-05, 10:31 AM
Black leaders keep power by keeping blacks angry about stuff.

B.A.
10-13-05, 10:50 AM
I'm a minority* and I think it does not exist.

Red Dog
10-13-05, 10:54 AM
I'm kind of off-white and don't think it exists, except for minority racial preferences of course.

Myster X
10-13-05, 10:54 AM
sigh... another racist march
Spike Lee better be there.

DVD Polizei
10-13-05, 11:36 AM
This guy makes Kanye seem legitimate. :whofart:

Red Dog
10-13-05, 02:27 PM
I hope the rain continues here in DC into the weekend.

RoyalTea
10-14-05, 11:14 AM
WASHINGTON -- Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan said it's up to the government to prove that a levee wasn't bombed to flood poor black people out of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

Farrakhan said he's heard that military explosives may have been used to blow a hole in the levee, resulting in what he said would amount to "mass murder."

Quoting the Bible and the Quran, The Rev. Farrakhan said he suspects there was a government conspiracy behind the New Orleans flooding, but is confident that God will reveal the truth.

Farrakhan spoke at a Washington news conference in advance of Saturday's Millions More March on the National Mall. It comes 10 years after the "Million Man March." http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/5098327/detail.html

Red Dog
10-14-05, 11:22 AM
That's right Louis, make 'em prove a negative. Smart strategy - you can keep on trying to justify your nonsense then. :lol:

Numanoid
10-14-05, 11:24 AM
Black leaders keep power by keeping blacks angry about stuff.The same way white leaders keep power by keeping white people afraid?

bhk
10-14-05, 11:24 AM
I hope the head more on does the "numbers" speech again. That was fantastic.

classicman2
10-14-05, 11:29 AM
The same way white leaders keep power by keeping white people afraid?

Oh, come on!!

Numanoid
10-14-05, 12:08 PM
Come on what?

nemein
10-14-05, 02:25 PM
There's some sort of "warm up" meeting going on on CSPAN right now and I just can't believe some of the things these people are saying... Maybe it's just me and maybe I don't get out enough but would you agree w/ the following statement:

"We are lead to believe white is superior and black and inferior":confused:

Obviously there are still people out there who teach this sort of thing, but to listen to the people talking at this meeting they are making it sound like that's the accepted norm. Have things really not improved in the past 40 years?

nemein
10-14-05, 02:30 PM
Come on what?

I think what he's trying to say is for the most part the leaders of the "white community" (which I'm not sure there is even such a thing when compared to the black community) are not into fear mongering/finger pointing as a means of keeping power. Sure there are some sectors that may practice this (some will give the Bush admin/Reps as an example -ptth-) but in total there isn't a sense of a white community, as there is a sense of a black community, and therefore no real white leaders to monger fear ;) That's JMO I'm sure others will disagree.

BassDude
10-14-05, 02:44 PM
Hmmm.. I was trying to get some guys together to go this march since i missed the last one, but maybe my not going is a good thing. I know racism exists, and I appreciate some of what Minister Farakahn says, but if you are gonna say the levees were bombed, ya gotta give some evidence to back that up. May have just crippled this latest march. :(

Th0r S1mpson
10-15-05, 10:05 PM
Update

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/15/millions.more.ap/index.html<B>Crowds gather for Millions More Movement
Farrakhan: 'We charge America with criminal neglect'</B>

Saturday, October 15, 2005; Posted: 7:45 p.m. EDT (23:45 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Railing against the delayed relief for victims of Hurricane Katrina, Nation of Islam leader <B>Louis Farrakhan said Saturday that the federal government should be charged with "criminal neglect of the people of New Orleans."</B>

<b>"For five days, the government did not act. Lives were lost," Farrakhan said at the 10th anniversary of the Million Man March. "We charge America with criminal neglect."</B>

A crowd of thousands cheered as dozens of prominent speakers -- <b>academics, activists, artists and media pundits -- spoke, recited poetry and sang songs </B>in the 12-hour program on the National Mall.

Pointing to the broad spectrum of participants, Farrakhan said the march included an "unprecedented" array of black leaders of organizations "coming together to speak to America and the world with one voice."

<b>"This tells us that a new day is dawning in America," he said.</B>

<B>Ten years ago, Farrakhan urged black men to improve their families and communities -- women, whites and other minorities had not been invited. On Saturday, all were welcome at the Millions More Movement</B>, which organizers said would build on the principles of 1995 and push people to build a movement for change locally and nationally.

Neither <b>Farrakhan, who spoke for 75 minutes</B>, nor police would not offer a crowd estimate.

<b>Associated Press photos showed the gathering was significantly smaller than that of 1995</B>, when Boston University researchers estimated between 600,000 and 1 million participants. The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority said subway ridership by 7 p.m. was 367,000, compared with a Saturday average of 275,000 to 300,000.

On the day of the march 10 years ago -- a weekday, when regular commuters drove up overall ridership -- that number was just over 804,000, the third-highest ever recorded.

Still, participants said they were inspired by the gathering.

<B>Farrakhan "is the only one who can pull this magnitude of people together," </B>said Michael Warren, 41, a Washington resident who attended for about five hours with three youths that he mentors. <b>"No other leader since Martin and Malcolm have done this."</B>

Many said the day held echoes of earlier gatherings.

Kelly Callahan, 65, of Newark said he had attended the 1995 march and Martin Luther King Jr.'s 1963 March on Washington. The movement, he said, is "more universal now."

Mouchettee Muhummad, 38, drove through the night from Detroit with four companions. "We have to show that the spirit from 10 years ago did not die -- it's still alive," he said. "We have to show that we didn't forget and we're actually carrying out what we pledged" a decade ago.

He added that Farrakhan "is asking us to organize beyond political boundaries, religious differences, cultural differences."

Some speakers paid tribute to victims of the hurricanes in prayers and pledges of support, and many participants said the storm helped inspire them to come.

Katrina "brought the issues to the surface to some who were asleep," said Jason 2X, a Nation of Islam member who attended the march with several family members from Chicago.

During his speech, <b>Farrakhan announced a Millions More Movement disaster relief fund, urging participants to give one dollar each week for victims.

He did not repeat his speculations in recent weeks that someone bombed New Orleans' protective levees, deliberately flooding black neighborhoods after Katrina struck.</B>

"We want to know what happened to the levees," Farrakhan said Saturday. <b>"We don't want to guess about it and we don't want to be guilty of following rumors."</B>

Earlier, Jesse Jackson, the president of the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition, urged people to channel their frustration about Katrina toward change in their communities. He also told the crowd that "a barge in the canal hit the levee and the waters came rushing in," but he did not elaborate on whether he believed this may have been deliberate.

Other prominent speakers included former presidential candidate Al Sharpton, hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons, singer Erykah Badu and Congressional Black Caucus chairman Rep. Mel Watts, D-N.C.

Farrakhan's appears to be broadening his message beyond those of concern specifically to black Americans and the poor. <b>He denounced President Bush, the war in Iraq and Muslims who kill "innocent life for political purposes." He also called for unity with Africa, reparations for slavery, inclusion of undocumented immigrants and a government apology to American Indians.</B>

Danny Bakewell, publisher of the Los Angeles Sentinel, a black newspaper, said the gathering was <b>"a glaring symbol of the possibilities that are in front of black people. This is not the end, it's a beginning."</B>

I'd like to hear more about the speakers other than Jackson and Farrakhan.

Nazgul
10-15-05, 11:22 PM
That's right Louis, make 'em prove a negative.

He must have learned that tactic here. Now he just needs to make his 'diagnosis'. :)

DVD Polizei
10-15-05, 11:24 PM
If he would add lower iPod prices to his list of ills, I'd support the bastard.

Th0r S1mpson
10-16-05, 09:51 AM
Wow, lots of good info here about the whole Farrakhan alient abduction thing here:

http://www.timboucher.com/journal/2005/07/07/the-nation-of-islams-ufo-myth/

I didn't know about any of this before these threads...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0