Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Saw UR and Elektra DC Out Early at Best Buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Saw UR and Elektra DC Out Early at Best Buy

I was at my local Wal-Mart last night and noticed that they had a spot for Elektra Director's Cut stating it came out today. So I went back today and saw no copies. I went to another Wal-Mart and they had the regular version in those places. So I gave up and decided to go to Best Buy just for the hell of it. I get there and on the table for the new releases was Saw: Unrated, a shitload of them too. So I looked at it, it's nice plastic case, with blood flowing around inside of it. I then went over to the action section and saw that they had put out Elektra too. So I picked that up for $19.99, saw was priced at $21.99
Old 10-11-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last Tuesday I was at Circuit City and they had a whole bunch of copies of High Tension. I giddily brought it up to the checkout, but was disappointed to find that the clerk couldn't sell it to me. "Oh shit," he said. "This doesn't come out till next week. I can't sell this to you." I cried a little and left the store.

Hopefully Best Buy is better at honoring release date mistakes than CC is.

What location is yours anyway?
Old 10-11-05, 03:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have given up on BB for prices practically. And will just wait until next week to see what the sale prices are.

The fact that they had High Tension this week for $20,while CC has it on sale for $14. Of course I went to CC

BB has been not so 'best buy' lately when it comes to pricing. Sometimes they have good deals,but not as many as they used to.
Old 10-11-05, 03:30 PM

I just always bring CC's ad with me and price match so I can get my RewardZone points. Got High Tension and Unleashed for 14.99 each. BB's low price for Unleashed is 22.95! They hate me at customer service.
Old 10-11-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
D'oh! Just picked up Saw used a BBV a couple weeks back for $5. Didn't know about this one. Just watched it for the first time the other day. Great flick. Is there a big difference in the actual film? Or are we talking seconds of footage?
Old 10-11-05, 03:52 PM

^^^^

The lastest review here listed a playtime shorter than the orginal release... have not checked it out , but saw UR and elektra came in early at our store too. We will not be stocking it til the 18th ...
Old 10-11-05, 04:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by The Monkees
I was at my local Wal-Mart last night and noticed that they had a spot for Elektra Director's Cut stating it came out today. So I went back today and saw no copies. I went to another Wal-Mart and they had the regular version in those places. So I gave up and decided to go to Best Buy just for the hell of it. I get there and on the table for the new releases was Saw: Unrated, a shitload of them too. So I looked at it, it's nice plastic case, with blood flowing around inside of it. I then went over to the action section and saw that they had put out Elektra too. So I picked that up for $19.99, saw was priced at $21.99
so you paid a higher price for DVD's that will legitimately be sold on sale next week...score!
Old 10-11-05, 04:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowpc
^^^^

The lastest review here listed a playtime shorter than the orginal release... have not checked it out , but saw UR and elektra came in early at our store too. We will not be stocking it til the 18th ...
I'm sure the reviews player was acting up. Since my R rated dvd of the film clocks in at exactly 103 minutes and 3 seconds before going back to the dvd menu.

The unrated version is literallly no longer than about 10 extra seconds at best. But the audio and visual quality of the film should be different as well. Since those were altered in order to get an R rating also.

I'm definitely picking up the unrated version though. And keeping my R rated dvd for the excellent trailers and tv spots which won't be carried over.

If you paid only $5 for the R version,that's not a bad price. And if you want to get the unrated version,go ahead. But you're not 'forced' to do so. So only get it if you really feel it is worth it!
Old 10-11-05, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
so you paid a higher price for DVD's that will legitimately be sold on sale next week...score!
Well, first of all I DIDN'T buy Saw...and I don't really care about paying a little bit more for Elektra because it probably won't be on sale or it will be like $3 cheaper, got mine 7 days early
Old 10-11-05, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Well, first of all I DIDN'T buy Saw...and I don't really care about paying a little bit more for Elektra because it probably won't be on sale or it will be like $3 cheaper, got mine 7 days early
my bad...you just got one of the worst reviewed movies of the past year "7 days early"...priceless!
Old 10-11-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my bad...you just got one of the worst reviewed movies of the past year "7 days early"...priceless!

Nice

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235044

Edit to add: I may get Elektra DC. Garner

Last edited by island007; 10-11-05 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-11-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get over yourself. You have nothing better to do than come here and make fun of the movies that other people enjoy? Actually, you probably don't.
Old 10-11-05, 07:35 PM

I don't care what people think, I'm all over Elektra DC being a long time Rob Bowman fan from back in his Star Trek: TNG and The X-Files days! Plus I hear the lead actress is not too hard on the eyes.
Old 10-11-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric D.
I don't care what people think, I'm all over Elektra DC being a long time Rob Bowman fan from back in his Star Trek: TNG and The X-Files days! Plus I hear the lead actress is not too hard on the eyes.
You said hard on.
Old 10-11-05, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Seantn
Get over yourself. You have nothing better to do than come here and make fun of the movies that other people enjoy? Actually, you probably don't.
i wasn't making fun in the least (i was stating fact...RATING: ROTTEN READING: 7% (FRESH = 60% or Greater) Reviews counted: 132
Fresh: 9 Rotten: 123 Average Rating: 3.6/10), but i was really just being sarcastic about his boasting about getting the DVD early. most i think got the gist...you obviously did not. it really wasn't meant for anything other than sardonicism .

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-11-05 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-11-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
i wasn't making fun in the least (i was stating fact...RATING: ROTTEN READING: 7% (FRESH = 60% or Greater) Reviews counted: 132
Fresh: 9 Rotten: 123 Average Rating: 3.6/10), but i was really just being sarcastic about his boasting about getting the DVD early. most i think got the gist...you obviously did not. it really wasn't meant for anything other than sardonicism .
You made a snotty remark about the user possibly paying a couple bucks more, and then again about the choice of his films. His first post wasn't really boasting either, just being informative.
Old 10-11-05, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
You said hard on.
You sir have a dirty mind!
Old 10-11-05, 10:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hank1215
I just always bring CC's ad with me and price match so I can get my RewardZone points. Got High Tension and Unleashed for 14.99 each. BB's low price for Unleashed is 22.95! They hate me at customer service.
Ouch. Where's that? It's $16.95 in Minneapolis.
Old 10-12-05, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I'm sure the reviews player was acting up. Since my R rated dvd of the film clocks in at exactly 103 minutes and 3 seconds before going back to the dvd menu.
Luckily, none of the studios ever change the begin and end credits for these extended cuts, so total length is always a true indicator of run time.

Old 10-12-05, 01:43 AM

I'm sorry, I enjoyed the film

And I'm also sorry that you listen to reviewers. That has been something I feel very strongly against. Why listen to reviewers? It's one person's feeling towards something. Why don't you see the film for yourself. Now I'm not directing this solely on you. I never understood why people listen to reviewers...

Anyway off topic sorry.

I bought the movie and that's that!
Old 10-12-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I also saw the Elektra DC yesterday, but at a K-Mart for $22. I got confused for a minute and thought it may have actually been out. A trip to Best Buy set me straight. I'll probably land up getting it also..