Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Motorola 6400 DVR cutting off recorded shows?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 10-11-05, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I set my Motorola 6400HD DVR to record King of Queens on CBS last night. I then went to watch it, and it starts recording about 4 minutes early. Then, at the end, it cut off the very end of the show. Is there a way to tell the DVR to go over by a few minutes so I don't miss the show? Also, the program guide seems to switch early too. Let's say it's 7:55pm, the program guide will already be defaulting to 8pm. I wonder if it's related? The clock on the DVR is also set automatically by the cable company, so it's not like I can change the time manually so it will start recording later.
Old 10-11-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tivo has this option, as does Replay. Ultimate did it automatically, sorta. Not sure about the 64xx series from Mot. This is one of the banes of DVR users. Even with Tivo, where it is simple to do this, you have to KNOW to do it in advance. Otherwise you can still miss the last/first minutes of the show. If a show is ALWAYS ending late, you can solve it, but not for a one-time issue.

It's a problem that ought to be solved by the guide people and the provider, getting the guide correct and the clock correct. Oh, and the actual networks, starting shows at the correct time. There is no way for a DVR to do this automatically with current technology.
Old 10-11-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The guide switching to the new time-frame with 5 minutes to go...

I'm gonna call that unrelated, as my DirecTiVo does this as well. This is done under the assumption that 99% of the time, anyone using the guide with just a couple minutes to go before the hour/half-hour probably wants to see what is coming on next.