Old 10-10-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 910 Likes on 553 Posts
Thanks!

[puts on wife's Christmas list]
Old 10-10-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the great info. I've been waiting forever. Good work Sony for releasing it cause I was getting worried that Season 2 would never come.
Old 10-10-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I read in another thread about PO5 sometime ago, that Scott Wolf had said they did commentaries for this a long time ago.

So are they just finally dumping the already completed 2nd season on us or is this a signal that they're committed to releasing them all-in a timely manner?

I will wait on this and read what other people hear. I want this show, but not if it will be 2 years for season 3.

If they don't release any other seasons, I don't want to own the first 2. If the company who has the rights indicates we'll be getting all the seasons, then I will buy.
Old 10-10-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy crap! this is great news.
Old 10-10-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
That's when JLH joined the show, right? Cuz that's when it got good, IMHO.
Old 10-11-05, 03:16 AM
Banned

I thought Party of Five was selling pretty good? Guess I am wrong, I hope alot of people buys Party of Five Season 2 so they can continue the rest of the seasons out...
Old 10-11-05, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by DVDFreaker
I thought Party of Five was selling pretty good? Guess I am wrong, I hope alot of people buys Party of Five Season 2 so they can continue the rest of the seasons out...
Sorry Freaker, you're wrong. The second season was pulled after poor sales of season 1. It was supposed to come out on Nov 16, 2004.

Gord
Old 10-11-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gord Lacey
Sorry Freaker, you're wrong. The second season was pulled after poor sales of season 1. It was supposed to come out on Nov 16, 2004.

Gord
The thing is, I do think they still had this done and ready to go and, I guess, because of poor sales, they sat on it for a year.

But if they've done no work on season 3 and the poor sales continue (while I don't have any idea what they consider poor sales to be), wouldn't they have even LESS of a reason to release seasons 3 and so on?

This one had to be dropped on us eventually, since they had put money and work into getting it ready. Now, they build up a lot of excitement because people have been waiting for so long and that will, at least, maximize sales of season 2.

But, after that, why not just call it a day? I love the show, but I don't want 2 seasons or to wait 2 years for online petitions or some other thing to possibly get another season released.

Who is responsible for these releases? Anyone have contact info, because I will get ahold of them within a week and see if they'll comment on an commitment to the rest of the seasons being released or not? If anyone can provide a number or e-mail, I'll do all the work.

Season 1 was very nice, but my daughter was still an infant when it came out and they could easily stop after season 2, since they have no more money invested in the dvds (that we know of). That would suck.
Old 10-11-05, 04:46 PM

The best advice is to always vote with your money. Buying it only helps them make more seasons, extra editions, etc. The fans of Army of Darkness, Evil Dead, Star Wars, Terminator 2, etc. buy and buy and buy future releases, even with problems or omissions. Then other editions are made based upon high sales.
I totally understand the collector mentality, or wanting all of the seasons, but with any non-A-list TV catalog show, you aren't going to get a guarantee of every season being released. And if you do, it still doesn't really mean anything. They can change their mind at any time.
If you want any chance of more seasons, you buy Season 2 upon release. They know that hardcore fans will buy it (people buy syndicated cuts of Alf), so if you pass then that just feeds into their "no demand" argument. Vote with the pocketbook. That is all the finance people listen to.
Old 10-11-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by johnglad
The best advice is to always vote with your money. Buying it only helps them make more seasons, extra editions, etc. The fans of Army of Darkness, Evil Dead, Star Wars, Terminator 2, etc. buy and buy and buy future releases, even with problems or omissions. Then other editions are made based upon high sales.
I totally understand the collector mentality, or wanting all of the seasons, but with any non-A-list TV catalog show, you aren't going to get a guarantee of every season being released. And if you do, it still doesn't really mean anything. They can change their mind at any time.
If you want any chance of more seasons, you buy Season 2 upon release. They know that hardcore fans will buy it (people buy syndicated cuts of Alf), so if you pass then that just feeds into their "no demand" argument. Vote with the pocketbook. That is all the finance people listen to.
I bought season 1 and my vote didn't seem to mean anything.

I saw this with Married with Children Season 4. People, including myself, were considering not buying because of all the problems, but some people would say if you don't buy, then you don't get anything...so enjoy it and buy it, no matter how craptacular their release is.

At a certain point, it gets beyond my control and voting with my pocketbook becomes impossible with all the other reasonable choices.

I got rid of season 1 of PO5 because I didn't think 2 was ever gonna get released. And if MWC season 5 comes out any worse than season 4, I'm selling my other sets and making other choices.

I, honestly, never knew that how many copies of Party of Five that were sold would hold them up from releasing the others. But it's not worth revisiting the show if I'm gonna have to be happy with 2 seasons or 3 seasons. Plenty of crap is out there from TV and they keep it coming. If a studio makes the decision to sell them the TV show season 1, they should already have made an internal commitment to make sure they all come out.

And it's not about being a completist or a collector. But a tv show is about what happens during the course of the entire run of the series. It's not like I can pretend that Charlie doesn't get cancer (the good kind ) or Julia didn't get married. It happened. Stopping at the end of season 2 is worse than not having released them at all...in my opinion.
Old 10-11-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh man, someone pinch me! I always believed in my heart of hearts that this would come out eventually but just never expected it until mid to late 2006 at the very earliest. Fantastic news. Can't wait!
Old 10-11-05, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Who is responsible for these releases? Anyone have contact info, because I will get ahold of them within a week and see if they'll comment on an commitment to the rest of the seasons being released or not? If anyone can provide a number or e-mail, I'll do all the work.
Sony puts out the releases, but you're not going to find anyone that will commit to releasing the entire season. They weren't sitting on the set; they had some bonus material that was done, but that's all.

Gord
Old 10-12-05, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just don't get how people can feel "GREAT" about this.

I don't mean to be a downer, but why would season 2 sell anymore than season 1 did?

Are there more fans now? Did season 1 finally sell enough units from sitting on shelves for over a year to motivate Sony? What motivated them to release this if it wasn't because they had already invested in it?

Neve won't be involved in the future sets and Matthew is way too busy now.

The first season was very well done, but I'd still rather have the shows with very little extras (or none at all) than having Sony spend more to make the sets flashy. If they save on the extras maybe they don't have to sell as many units.

Every 2 years or no more after this one is not anything for me to be excited about. But I guess I hope, magically, this one sells enough to get season 3 in the typical 6 month range.
Old 10-12-05, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll take whatever I can get...whenever they can get them out.
Old 10-12-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Neve won't be involved in the future sets and Matthew is way too busy now.
Ever consider that they're putting them out to capitalize on the popularity of the show that is keeping Matthew so busy?
Old 10-12-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Now we if can get "Dawson's Creek Season 6" things will be good...
Old 10-12-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Colleen
Ever consider that they're putting them out to capitalize on the popularity of the show that is keeping Matthew so busy?
Yes and then quickly dismissed the idea as ludicrous.
Old 10-13-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm relieved that the second season is coming because that [hopefully] means they will continue. It's that horrible lag between the first and second that seems like the kiss of death, i.e., Once and Again.

If only we could get thirtysomething on dvd, my television wish list will be fulfilled. And of course, the second season of Twin Peaks.
Old 10-13-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd quite like the Party of Five spin off, Time of Your Life, as I'm curious to see what it was like, but I won't hold my breath.
Old 08-30-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Have anyone heard anything about future seasons?
Old 08-31-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by critterdvd
Have anyone heard anything about future seasons?
Count me in as someone who would like to know...
Old 12-12-06, 09:09 AM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bumping this topic, because I would also like to know about Season 3.