Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

TVTalk Draft Game…Voting Round 2…Come one, come all!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-10-05, 12:49 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Welcome to round two of the TVTalk Draft Tournament! In this thread, the players drafted a virtual “lineup” of seven seasons from actual television shows. Now, it is up to you, the TVTalk community, to vote on which “Network Executive” has drafted the best lineup.

We are now in round 2 of this single-elimination tournament. In order to vote, you need to reply to this post telling me who you think has the best lineup. Your vote will not count unless you vote on every pair! Please do not vote if you cannot observe this simple rule.

Players in the game are also allowed to vote. Optionally, they are also allowed to post to this thread telling everybody why they think you should vote for their lineup.

So, let the voting begin! The polls close on Tuesday, October 11, exactly 24 hours after the exact time of the timestamp of this post. Match-ups will be listed in the first reply to this post.

Good luck to all the participants!
Old 10-10-05, 12:50 PM

This Round’s Match-Ups

1. das Monkey vs. B.A.
das Monkey’s Lineup:
Sunday: Babylon 5 - Season 3 ("Messages From Earth", "Point of No Return", "Severed Dreams", "War Without End I & II", "Z'ha'dum")
Monday: Sports Night, Season 1 ("Eli's Coming", "Dear Louise", "Napoleon's Battle Plan", "What Kind of Day Has it Been", "SHOE MONEY TONIGHT!")
Tuesday: Firefly, Complete Series
Wednesday: Homicide: Life on the Street, Season 1 ("Three Men and Adena", "Gone for Goode", "Ghost of a Chance")
Thursday: The Wonder Years, Season 4 (Winnie moves, attends a new school, and meets someone else; Kevin's final year in Junior High; Winnie's car accident and "I Love You")
Friday: Joe Schmo 2: Last Chance for Love (Ingrid, Bryce, Montecore, "Porked & Beans", "Mockingbird!")
Saturday: The A-Team, Season 2 (Colonel Decker replaces Colonel Lynch, Hannibal has a plan, B.A. refuses to fly, Murdock breaks out of a mental hospital, Faceman charms some women)
B.A.’s Lineup:
Sunday: Scrubs, Season 3 (guest appearances by Michael J. Fox, Brendan Frasier, Tom Cavanaugh)
Monday: Nip/Tuck, Season 1 ("Pilot", "Escobar Gallardo")
Tuesday: Keen Eddie, The Complete Series
Wednesday: NYPD Blue, Season #1 (David Caruso, Dennis Franz, Amy Brenneman, Gail O'Grady)
Thursday: HOUSE, Season 1 ("DNR", "Role Model", "Babies & Bathwater", "Love Hurts", "Three Stories", "The Honeymoon")
Friday: Ed, Season 1 ("Just Friends", "Pretty Girls & Waffles", "Something Old, Something New", "Your Life is Now", "Losing Streak", "Hook, Line & Sinker", "Loyalties", "Live Deliberately", "Exceptions", "Prom Night")
Saturday: Miami Vice, Season One ("Brother's Keeper (1 & 2)", "The Hit List (1)", "Calderone's Demise (2)", "Glades", "Little Prince", "Milk Run", "Smuggler's Blues", "The Home Invaders", "Evan", "Lombard")
2. cleaver vs. mdc3000
cleaver’s Lineup:
Sunday: The Simpsons, Season 5 (Homer's Barbershop Quartet, Cape Feare, The Last Temptation of Homer, $pringfield, Homer the Vigilante, Bart Gets Famous, Homer and Apu, Deep Space Homer)
Monday: Cheers, Season 8 (Sam cheats at chess, Kelly goes to Europe, Tecumseh missing, Sam gets the bar back, Cliff on Jeopardy)
Tuesday: Saturday Night Live, Season 3 (King Tut, Medieval Barber, Wild and Crazy Guys, Coneheads Family Feud, Samurai Night Fever/Dry Cleaner/TV Repair)
Wednesday: The Shield, Season 4 (Glenn Close, Anthony Anderson, Micheal Pena)
Thursday: Battlestar Galactica (2004), Season 1 ((Hand of God, 33, Water, Kobol's Last Gleaming)
Friday: Transformers, Season 1 (More than Meets the Eye; Jetfire, Dinobots, Insecticons, Devestator)
Saturday: Lost, Season 2 (Down the hatch)
mdc3000’s Lineup:
Sunday: Arrested Development, Season 2
Monday: Rescue Me - Season 1
Tuesday: Tuesday: Alias - Season 2 (Lena Olin, Mother-Daughter-Father-Rambaldi conflict, REBOOT)
Wednesday: Angel, Season 5 (Spike joins , Fred becomes Illyria, Smile Time Puppet Angel, and Finale)
Thursday: Scrubs, Season 4 (guest stars: Heather Graham, Julianna Marguiles, Colin Farrell, Matthew Perry, Tom Cavanaugh, JD moves out)
Friday: Prison Break, Season 1
Saturday: Strangers With Candy, Season 1 (Who Wants Cake?, Boogie Nights, Let Freedom Ring, Trip Back)
3. Lokimok vs. scott27
Lokimok’s Lineup:
Sunday: The Twilight Zone (Original), Season 3 (To Serve Man, It's A Good Life, A Game of Pool, The Dummy, Lee Marvin, Buster Keaton, Robert Redford)
Monday: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Season 3 (restaurant season - Krayzee-Eyez Killa, Club Soda & Salt, Benadryl Brownie, Chet's Shirt)
Tuesday: Gilmore Girls, Season 1
Wednesday: Northern Exposure, Season 3 (Cicely, first full length season)
Thursday: Batman: The Animated Series, Season 1 (Heart Of Ice, Two-Face, Beware The Gray Ghost, Almost Got 'Im, On Leather Wings)
Friday: Dick Van Dyke Show, Season 2 (It May Look Like A Walnut; My Husband Is Not A Drunk; Gesundheit, Darling)
Saturday: Late Night with David Letterman, Season 5 (85-86, Cher calls Dave an a__hole; GE Corporate Handshake; 1st Top Ten; MonkeyCam; Fugitive Guy; Japanese, Lip-Synced, & "Too Tired To Do A Show" shows )
scott27’s Lineup:
Sunday: The Simpsons, Season 4 (Monorail, Mr. Plow, the Itchy & Scratchy Movie, and Kamp Krusty)
Monday: All in the Family, Season 2 (Maude's debut, Archie gets stuck in an elevator with a pregnant Puerto Rican, and Archie's kiss with Sammy Davis Jr.)
Tuesday: Twilight Zone (original), Season 1 (Time Enough at Last, Elegy, the Monsters are Due on Maple Street)
Wednesday: Mr. Show, Season 3
Thursday: South Park, Season 4 (Cartman Joins NAMBLA, Trapper Keeper, Do the Handicapped go to Hell?)
Friday: I Love Lucy, Season 4 (the end of their trip to California, including going to Grauman's and meeting John Wayne; Lucy stomps grapes)
Saturday: Married...With Children, Season 3 (Al sweats Elvis, the originally unaired episode, Al & Peggy's high school reunion, the Bundys get a computer)
4. Triple S vs. apeyard
Triple S’s Lineup:
Sunday: Chappelle's Show, Season 2 (Rick James, Wayne Brady)
Monday: Newsradio, Season 3 (Matthew obsesses about Dilbert, Dave dresses as a woman for halloween, Bob Costas guest stars, Daydream, and COMPLAINT BOX.)
Tuesday: The Office (UK), Season 1 (Quiz Night, training session, downsizing storyline)
Wednesday: Sifl & Olly, Season 1 (This is Precious Roy, I'm stuck at a gas station!)
Thursday: The Joe Schmo Show, Season 1 (The Hutch, What is going on????)
Friday: The Tick (Animated): Season 1 (Tick vs Tick, Tick vs Uncommon Cold)
Saturday: WWF Raw is War: Season 6 (98-99 season, This is Your Life Rock, Rock n Sock, D-Generation X)
apeyard’s Lineup:
Sunday: Freaks and Geeks, Complete Series
Monday: West Wing, Season 2(Two Cathedrals - Bartlett decides to run again after Mrs. Landingham's death, The aftermath of the assassination attempt, Big Block of Cheese Day)
Tuesday: Sopranos, Season 2 - (BigPussy talks with the FBI, Funhouse)
Wednesday: Entourage, Season 2 (Playboy Mansion, Pauly Shore and Ralph Macchio, Sundance, Ari pulls a Jerry Maguire, James Cameron)
Thursday: ER, Season 2 (Hell and High Water - Doug saves the kids in the storm drain, Carter becomes a doctor)
Friday: American Dreams, Season 1 (Season ends with the riots in Philly)
Saturday: Pardon the Interruption, Season 3 (Tony's "Vacation", bear on the trampoline, Time-Time-Tony)
5. nny vs. Chew
nny’s Lineup:
Sunday: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 5 (The Body)
Monday: Six Feet Under, Season 3 (“Perfect Circles”)
Tuesday: Police Squad, Complete series
Wednesday: Ben Stiller Show, Complete Series
Thursday: Justice League, Season 2 (last season before JLU)
Friday: Big Brother (US), Season 2 (Dr. Will)
Saturday: thirtysomething, Season 3 (Michael's defining season)
Chew’s Lineup:
Sunday: Star Trek (The Original Series), Season 1 ("City on the Edge of Forever", "Space Seed", "Balance of Terror")
Monday: Monty Python's Flying Circus Season 2 (Dinsdale, Ministry of Silly Walks, Spam, The Spanish Inquisition, Throatwarbler-Mangrove)
Tuesday: The Prisoner, Complete Series
Wednesday: I Love Lucy, Season 2 ("Job Switching" (The chocolate factory), "The Camping Trip" and Lucy is pregnant “expecting”.)
Thursday: Farscape Season 4 ("Kansas", "Terra Firma", "We're So Screwed" 1-3, "Bad Timing")
Friday: The Muppet Show, Season 2 (Elton John, Peter Sellers, John Cleese, Steve Martin, George Burns, Bob Hope)
Saturday: Frasier, Season 1 ("The Good Son", "Frasier Crane's Day Off", "My Coffee With Niles", "The Show Where Lilith Comes Back")
6. Suprmallet vs. lordwow
Suprmallet’s Lineup:
Sunday: Twin Peaks, Season 1
Monday: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Season 2 (The Doll, The Car Salesman, The Shrimp Incident, The Acupuncturist)
Tuesday: Cowboy Bebop, Complete Series
Wednesday: The Kids In The Hall, Season 1 (The Pear Dream, Anatomy of Comedy, Boring Aliens, Citizen Kane, Businessman Followed Me Home, Bruce McCulloh Causes Cancer, Star-Crossed Lovers, Crushing Your Head)
Thursday: Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Season 3 (Repression, Wrath, Stolen, Rooftop, Tangled, Redemption, Inheritance, Ridicule, Monogamy, Counterfeit, Popular, Guilt, Greed, Denial, Competence)
Friday: Reno 911!, Season 2 (Dangle's Promotion, Dangle's Ex Visits, Religion in Reno, Firefighters are Jerks, Not Without My Moustache, Security for Kenny Rogers, Raineesha X, Accidental Marriage, Milkshake Man's Death)
Saturday: Tiny Toon Adventures, Season 1
lordwow’s Lineup:
Sunday: Family Guy, Season 3 (Volume 2 of DVD)
Monday: Survivor, Season 1 (Richard, Kelly, Sue, and Rudy)
Tuesday: M*A*S*H, Season 5
Wednesday: Stargate SG-1, Season 3 (Learning Curve, Point of View, Forever In A Day, Nemesis)
Thursday: Quantum Leap, Season 4 (The Leap Back, Raped, Temptation Eyes, A Leap For Lisa)
Friday: Boomtown, Season 1 (Reelin' In The Years, The David McNorris Show, Execution, Lost Child)
Saturday: The OC, Season 1 ("Welcome to the OC, Bitch.")
7. TracerBullet vs. Jericho
TracerBullet’s Lineup:
Sunday: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 2 (Angel loses it)
Monday: Gilmore Girls- season 3 (Harvard/Yale? Rory graduates from Chilton, Rory/Jess)
Tuesday: Cracker (UK), Season 1 ("The Mad Woman in the Attic", "To Say I Love You", "One Day a Lemming Will Fly")
Wednesday: Angel, Season 3 (Connor, Wesley's betrayal)
Thursday: Quantum Leap, Season 2 ("What Price Gloria", "So Help Me God", "M.I.A.")
Friday: As Time Goes By, Season 3 (Lionel moves in, Rocky and Madge get married, miniseries trip to Los Angeles)
Saturday: Fawlty Towers, Season 1 ("The Builders", "The Wedding Party", "The Germans")
Jericho’s Lineup:
Sunday: Sopranos, Season 1 (Tony clashes with his mother, visits Dr. Melfi)
Monday: 24, Season 1 (Plan to assassinate Senator Palmer)
Tuesday: The Shield, Season 1
Wednesday: Deadwood, Season 2
Thursday: Depserate Housewives, Season 1 (The mysterious suicide of Mary Alice Young)
Friday: Babylon 5, Season 4 (No Surrender, No Retreat, War against the Shadows, Sheridan wants to overthrow Earth's government)
Saturday: Rome, Season 1
8. auto vs. darkhawk
auto’s Lineup:
Sunday: Arrested Development, Season 1
Monday: The Wire, Season 1
Tuesday: Mr. Show, Season 1 (“Ronnie Dobbs”, “Senator Tankerbell”, “Pit-Pat”, Imminent Death Syndrome”, “National Entitlitus Foundation”, “Renouncing ho-mo-sin-uality”)
Wednesday: Homicide: Life on the Street, Season 3 ("Crosetti", "Every Mother's Son", "The City That Bleeds/Dead End/End Game" w/ Steve Buschemi, "Colors" w/ Bruce Campbell & "The Gas Man" w/ Bruno Kirby)
Thursday: Twin Peaks, Season 2 (Laura’s killer revealed/BOB/Windom Earle/The Black Lodge)
Friday: The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., Complete Series (Bruce Campbell’s Sci-Fi Western)
Saturday: Carnivàle, Season 2 (From Los Moscos to New Canaan / Some questions are answered; others are raised)
darkhawk’s Lineup:
Sunday: Three’s Company, Season 2
Monday: Greatest American Hero, Season 1 (Aliens give him the suit)
Tuesday: The Larry Sanders Show, Season 1
Wednesday: Monk, Season 1
Thursday: Monk & Mindy, Season 1
Friday: Law & Order Season 3 (Chris Noth gets new partner Jerry Orbach)
Saturday: Night Court, Season 2 (Pick a Number, The Gypsy, Nuts About Harry, The Blizzard, Take My Wife, Please, Walk, Don't Wheel)

Last edited by Groucho; 10-10-05 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-10-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.das Monkey
2.cleaver
3.Lokimok
4.Triple S
5.Chew
6.Suprmallet
7.TracerBullet
8.auto

There seems to be a Tanman/apeyard mismatch problem, btw.
Old 10-10-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1. das Monkey
2. cleaver
3. Lokimok
4. apeyard
5. nny
6. Suprmallet
7. Jericho
8. auto
Old 10-10-05, 01:07 PM

Thanks, JJ. Fixed it.
Old 10-10-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) das
2) mdc3000
3) Lokimok
4) apeyard
5) Chew
6) Suprmallet
7) Jericho
8) auto
Old 10-10-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
1) das Monkey
2) cleaver
3) Lokimok
4) Triple S
5) nny
6) Suprmallet
7) Jericho
8) auto
Old 10-10-05, 01:29 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. das - Heh, the only 2 winners I didn't vote for last time. Even though I'm not too familiar with half of das' list, he seems to have gone more for great tv whereas B.A. seems to have just good tv.
2. mdc3000
3. Lokimok - similar lineups, but my anti-sitcom bias puts Lokimok on top
4. Triple S
5. nny
6. Suprmallet
7. Tracerbullet
8. auto
Old 10-10-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1. das Monkey
2. cleaver
3. Lokimok
4. Triple S
5. Chew
6. lordwow
7. TracerBullet
8. auto
Old 10-10-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. das Monkey
2. mdc3000
3. scott27
4. Triple S
5. Chew
6. Suprmallet
7. Jericho
8. auto
Old 10-10-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Accepting once more that we must vote for every one:

1. das Monkey
2. Premature Lost vs. premature Prison Break? I guess I'll go with mdc3000 on the strength of Arrested Development's 2nd season and Angel's final one, but it's a toss-up. No touching!
3. "Trapper Keeper" + "Monorail" = scott27
4. Too easy. apeyard. Although, much love for "Free Love on the Free Love Freeway"
5. OK, this is really tough. Some of the best episodes in the history of television here and good programming variety. nny has the better headliners, but Chew has better depth. Both excel in creativity. It's unfair one has to go this early. It pains me to go aginst 2 of the top 10 hours of television in the last 5 years, but Chew is slightly stronger across the full 7 days. Now I feel dirty.
6. Another very tough one. I'll take lordwow by a nose with David McNorris at the buzzer.
7. Ugh ... it doesn't get any easier. Buffy's best and good variety vs. a slate of all kinds of kickass. Still too much drama, but for now Lorien extends Jericho's life by one round.
8. Freebie. auto

das
Old 10-10-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1- B.A. - I still can't believe he beat me, but his opponent this round has a show I never heard of (Joe Schmo) and two I would never watch (Firefly and Babylon). Lesser of the two evils wins.
2- Cleaver - fuck Scrubs. And Arrested Development is good, but wildly overrated.
3- Scott27 - not even close. great collection.
4- apeyard - Triple S has the two best shows remaning in the ENTRIRE competition (Office UK and Chapelle) but the rest of his collection falters.
5- ny - sorry, not a Python or a Trekkie fan
6- Supermallet -jeez, do I hate, hate, hate Mash.
7-Jericho - one of the few collections on here that doesnt blow.
8- auto

This is going to come down to Cleaver, Scott27, and Jerhico.
Old 10-10-05, 02:01 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

das, would you have voted for me if I got JS2 instead of BB2? Bastard.

Last edited by nny; 10-10-05 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-10-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts
1. das
2. cleaver
3. scott27
4. apeyard
5. Chew
6. lordwow
7. Jericho
8. darkhawk

All very easy decisions.
Old 10-10-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
1. B.A.
2. cleaver
3. scott27
4. apeyard
5. Chew
6. Suprmallet
7. Jericho
8. auto
Old 10-10-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ryuryu2949
Arrested Development is good, but wildly overrated

You mean it doesn't even deserve the 4 million viewers it gets? I don't think I could think of a show that better defines underrated. Overrated? Hell fuck no.
Old 10-10-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

1) das Monkey
2) mdc3000
3) Lokimok
4) Triple S
5) Chew
6) Suprmallet
7) TracerBullet
8) darkhawk
Old 10-10-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Well, I wanted to give a little plug for why I choose what I choose, but I doubt people really care and I'll save it for my eulogy speech when I get eliminated. I'll say this though, I went for four basic themes: violence, nudity, profanity, and quality. All the things that are bringing down America are on my channel. I think the FCC would just ban my entire network. Running with that theme, I went heavy on the drama, but so be it. On to my choices for this Sweet Sixteen round:

1) das monkey - he's crushing dreams everywhere
2) mdc3000 - I like pretty much everything in both line-ups, so this is pretty much a coin flip. I do like Lena' Olin's turn on Alias and I tend to like dramas, so I give the dge to the network with more dramas
3) scott27 - good stuff one both sides, but my higher highs are with scott27. Plus MWC
4) apeyard - love the beginning of this line-up
5) Chew - like Python and I like the sci-fi. And the Prisoner.
6) Suprmallet - on the strength of Twin Peaks
7) Jericho - if I wasn't late to the first round, I would have taken Buffy season 2 myself and probably a whole different line-up. So I hate to go up against it, but so be it.
8) auto - still like Arrested Development and Mr. Show for comedy, although the one Night Court choice is nice to see
Old 10-10-05, 02:40 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Morf

You mean it doesn't even deserve the 4 million viewers it gets? I don't think I could think of a show that better defines underrated. Overrated? Hell fuck no.
IMO, overrated doesn't mean that every idiot out there likes it. It's more about how it's looked at by the people that really care about the particular medium like critics and tv geeks. The typical person doesn't care enough about CSI to rave on and on about it, yet you'd be hard-pressed to find a messageboard that doesn't have a person ranting about how AD is going to be cancelled.

So yes, AD is a great show, but it's by far the most overrated show on TV. Plus, it won the highest award it could possibly ever win. That automatically disqualifies it as being underrated.
Old 10-10-05, 02:42 PM

1. das Monkey
2. mdc3000
3. scott27
4. apeyard
5. nny
6. Suprmallet
7. TracerBullet
8. auto
Old 10-10-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

nny

das, would you have voted for me if I got JS2 instead of BB2? Bastard.
That probably would have been enough to sway me. Take comfort that I'm in tears over here for having to vote against your first two picks.

das
Old 10-10-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ryuryu2949

1- B.A. - I still can't believe he beat me, but his opponent this round has a show I never heard of (Joe Schmo) and two I would never watch (Firefly and Babylon). Lesser of the two evils wins.
Wow. You're really missing out on some great TV.

das
Old 10-10-05, 03:20 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
That probably would have been enough to sway me. Take comfort that I'm in tears over here for having to vote against your first two picks.

das
Consider me comforted. I'm not sure if I understand the better depth thing though. My 7th pick is better than anything on Chew's list.

One thing I noticed about my lineup today is the lack of comedy. Since so many of my favorite shows are comedies I was worried that I might end up putting too much comedy on my lineup. So I was sure to grab Buffy and SFU early so I could make sure to get my favorite drama seasons that I also knew were popular. Plus, my 2 comedies are shows that many people may never have heard of, much less seen. Of course I knew Simpsons and Seinfeld would go really fast and I kept considering South Park, Family Guy, Scrubs, GG, Mr. Show, UCB, or maybe a talk show, but I guess I wanted to make my lineup a little more personal to me.

I knew my lineup wouldn't do too good, but it's going to piss me off if I lose to Frasier. I knew my hatred of Frasier would come back to haunt me some day.
Old 10-10-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. das Monkey
2. mdc3000
3. scott27
4. Triple S
5. Chew
6. Suprmallet
7. TracerBullet
8. auto
Old 10-10-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1.das Monkey
2.mdc3000
3.Lokimok
4.apeyard
5.nny
6.Suprmallet
7.Jericho
8.auto

MATT

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.