Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Help needed. Choosing between DirecTV and DISH.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-05, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, I need your help. I'm about to move into my new home and I've decided to make the jump to satellite as my local company (COX) sucks. Not getting NBC for the past 10 months and COX not making any plans whatsoever to bring HD programming to our town has pushed me over the edge. Now I've got a decision to make. Both DISH and DirecTV are offering similar packages with extremely similar prices for my viewing dollars. Both packages include a HD-DVR and two standard receivers. Up front costs for DISH are signicicantly higher, about $200, with DirecTV costing me about $4 a month more.

I'm at a stand still as to which one I should get. Who do you guys recommend I use and why?
Old 10-09-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you care about possibly getting the NFL Sunday Ticket package, you have to go DirecTV.

Otherwise, it seems to me it is a matter of cost. It seems to me that DirecTV is the better deal there because your time to breakeven is over four years.

I have never had either service, btw.
Old 10-09-05, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I would go with DirecTV. I have had them since 98 and have great service. Also the tivo option is great.
Old 10-09-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am super-happy with DirecTv with Tivo.
Old 10-09-05, 07:21 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
I am super-happy with DirecTv with Tivo.
Though as I'm sure you know they won't be selling DTivos anymore, they'll have their own branded units. No real word on how good they are yet.
Old 10-09-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had DirecTV from 98-00, and I liked it a great deal. After that, I moved to an apartment that didn't have the proper view, so getting rid of it wasn't based on the quality of the service.

When we moved into our house in July, we got DISH Network. I like it very much, as well. We went with DISH because it was a better deal at the time. We got the DISH PVR, and it works great.

Honestly, I'd probably go with DirecTV in your situation. There aren't a whole lot of differences between the two, in my opinion.
Old 10-09-05, 07:29 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
But they are still selling them NOW, which is the important thing.

Not to mention that there's plenty on the secondary market as well.
Old 10-09-05, 07:34 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
But they are still selling them NOW, which is the important thing.

Not to mention that there's plenty on the secondary market as well.
Very true. If you want one, make sure to do it soon - BB has the new ones on their site, though they aren't available yet. And DTV will be supporting them, just not putting any money into them in the future.
Old 10-09-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
Though as I'm sure you know they won't be selling DTivos anymore, they'll have their own branded units. No real word on how good they are yet.
Not until next year. So if he orders now he'll get a Tivo.
Old 10-09-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i would go with Direct Tv and try to get a tivo
Old 10-09-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I feel your pain when it comes to Cox. If ever there was a company that was aptly named, they are it. I switched to Directv from them years ago and can't imagine using any other service. And like someone mentioned earlier, if your a football fan, then NFL Sunday Ticket is reason enough.
Old 10-10-05, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A pretty major sticking point with me and Dish is that the HD-DVR only has a single OTA tuner (IIRC) with dual satellite tuners. The HD DirecTiVo has two of each and each of the OTA tuners get more of a workout than the satellite ones do.
Old 10-10-05, 08:17 AM

A friend of mine just tried using a standalone TiVo with Dish Network, and it worked like complete shit. Dish's software makes it so that the standalone wouldn't change channels correctly, and TiVo pretty much admitted that they hadn't been keeping up with Dish's updates.

Needless to say, he dropped Dish after 1 week with their alternative DVR and went with DirecTV and a TiVo.
Old 10-10-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Morf
A friend of mine just tried using a standalone TiVo with Dish Network, and it worked like complete shit. Dish's software makes it so that the standalone wouldn't change channels correctly, and TiVo pretty much admitted that they hadn't been keeping up with Dish's updates.

Needless to say, he dropped Dish after 1 week with their alternative DVR and went with DirecTV and a TiVo.
So...your friend punished the company working to provide him better service and rewarded the one that had just given up?
Old 10-10-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My fiance's mother uses a standalone ReplayTV unit with her DISH Network, and it works perfectly. Don't know why TiVO couldn't do the same.
Old 10-10-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDan
Honestly, I'd probably go with DirecTV in your situation. There aren't a whole lot of differences between the two, in my opinion.
Isn't there a BIG difference in cost for the HD-tivo with DirecTV vs. the HD-DVR with Dish? Or did DirecTV get off their $1000 high horse to be competitive?
Old 10-10-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Or did DirecTV get off their $1000 high horse to be competitive?
Yeah, Dish costs $699 and DirecTV could be had for $199*.

*that was pretty much for existing customers and it's over now. $499 with $100 MIR is the new "deal".
Old 10-10-05, 03:50 PM

Guess I'm going with DirecTV then. Thanks for all the info guys!
Old 10-10-05, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I feel your pain when it comes to Cox. If ever there was a company that was aptly named, they are it. I switched to Directv from them years ago and can't imagine using any other service. And like someone mentioned earlier, if your a football fan, then NFL Sunday Ticket is reason enough.
True that. Right across the river, Shreveport is getting wonderful Time Warner. They have very fast internet, VoIP coming, and HD content right now. Cox barely delivers their digital programming. Their digital set-top boxes have more of a lossy connection to the office than a satellite does. It sucks when all the channels above 75 can't be accessed. You just get that nice message saying, accessing content.

Oh, and football is a RELIGION at my household now and will continue to be one in me and my spouse's house, much to her dismay. NFL Sunday Ticket here I come. No more Cowboys and Texans games for this Indy and Chicago fan.
Old 10-10-05, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
So...your friend punished the company working to provide him better service and rewarded the one that had just given up?
It's all in how you look at it. Personally, I found what Dish was doing to be hightly anticompetitive and not "working hard to provide him better service." My friend wanted a TiVo and DirecTV could give him one, today. So he dumped Dish, the company which refused to play nicely, and went with DirecTV.

As soon as Dish plays well with a TiVo brand DVR, I'll re-evaluate the situation. Until then, they can piss off.
Old 10-10-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had dishnetwork from '97 to about '02, then directv ever since (my dishnetwork remote was going bad, was cheaper to switch to directv than to buy a new remote).

Overall, I still like dish network better. Much more foreign language options and their packages are a little cheaper than on directv. Also, directv has the sports packages, which is why their other package prices are a little more expensive (it's not cheap to get exclusive rights to sports packages).

Personally, I have a mixed English / Spanish language package and I like directv's lineup better than that on dishnetwork (directv's package has more english channels), that's why I'm still with directv. The one thing I really liked on dish network was that it would give a ranking of movies (1 to 5 stars, if I remember right), and their ranking was usually dead on with how I would rank the movie, so it was a good way to screen movies before deciding whether to watch it or not.

Having said all that, either one will be much better than Cox.
Old 10-10-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Had Dish for many years, and went to Directv out of boredom. I prefer Dish. Both are great, though, so you can't go wrong. Tivo is over-rated, imo. Any DVR is fine (and necessary). Unless you need the NFL package, go with the best deal. I think Dish was slightly better for HD, but neither (or any) is great.
Old 10-10-05, 10:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I would go with DirecTV...

...For this reason: they will be offering far more HDTV programming than Dish Network in the future.
Old 10-11-05, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RayChuang
...For this reason: they will be offering far more HDTV programming than Dish Network in the future.
Although I have DirecTV and don't plan on switching: they've been promising that for a long time now and have only added ESPN2 in the last, what, year? I know the MPEG4 switch will result in a lot more HD programming, but that certainly seems to get pushed back and back.
Old 10-11-05, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by RayChuang
Well what they keep promoting those 600 HD channels or whatever number it is, but all it is, is local channels across the country. Big whooped-di-fucking-do. They won't get into other HD avenues until that is done. I think I read 2007 is the goal for new stuff.

On the flip side Dish picked up all the original Voom HD channels and are available right now. 10 HD movie channels(including a Horror channel & a western channel), 1 HD Music channel, 1 HD Extreme sports channel, an HD animation channel and some others.

So unless you need the NFL ticket, I wouldn't put all your eggs in DirecTVs basket just yet if you are interested in HD programming.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.