Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Boxoffice Numbers for Oct 8 weekend

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-08-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Estimates for

Friday, October, 7, 2005

1. WALLACE & GROMIT MOVIE: CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT, THE 4.2 4.2
2. FLIGHTPLAN 3.1 53.7
3. IN HER SHOES 3.0 3.0
4. TWO FOR THE MONEY 3.0 3.0
5. GOSPEL, THE 2.6 2.6
6. WAITING 2.1 2.1
7. CORPSE BRIDE, THE 1.7 37.6
8. SERENITY 1.6 14.3
9. INTO THE BLUE 1.5 10.7
10. HISTORY OF VIOLENCE, A 1.5 12.8

It appears WALLACE & GROMIT will end up making about $15 million for the weekend, somewhat less than I expected, but still decent.

Yikes, looks like word of mouth that SERENITY was a stinker spread pretty fast and the film took one of the biggest weekend to weekend drops I've seen in years. It almost dropped past INTO THE BLUE!!! Joss Whedon needs to learn that all the overblown advertising in the world won't help your movie if your movie is crap. Right, folks?
Old 10-08-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Glad to see Wallace and Gromit leading! I'm not sure i'll get the chance to catch the film in theaters, but I'm a huge fan of the previous shorts as well as Chicken Run.

Surprised Serenity tanked in it's second week. I thought the word of mouth was pretty good, even for non-fans. *shrug*
Old 10-08-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Serenity is a stinker?
I beg to differ.
Old 10-08-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Always nice to start a thread with a thread crap.. hell I didn't really like Serenity much and the OP is still going out of her way.

the film took one of the biggest weekend to weekend drops I've seen in years.
Out of curiosity.. what are you talking about? Serenity dropped 60% compared to last Friday. Both Roll Bounce and Corpse Bride took 60% hits in their second weekend's friday, and that was what.. a week ago?
Old 10-08-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Wallace & Gromit is only going to wind up making about $5 million more this weekend than Serenity did last weekend; and Two For the Money - an f'ing Al Pacino flick is going to make LESS than Serenity did. People just aren't going to movies this month, folks.
Old 10-08-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, it really isn't a matter of flopping, just a matter of expandable income I suppose. Gas to get to the theatre and general prices (oh yeah, that's the best excuse) Simply put.... there's no real big hits this time of year.
Old 10-08-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Yikes, looks like word of mouth that SERENITY was a stinker spread pretty fast and the film took one of the biggest weekend to weekend drops I've seen in years. It almost dropped past INTO THE BLUE!!! Joss Whedon needs to learn that all the overblown advertising in the world won't help your movie if your movie is crap. Right, folks?

Wow, nice knowing you, dude.
Old 10-08-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm glad we have people like this making such valuable contributions to the forum.

das
Old 10-08-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, nice to see a threadcrapper kick off a box office thread. Serenity a stinker? Yeah, tell that to the:

- 108 (out of 134) film critics who gave the film a positive review.
- The film critics who are giving this film generally favorable reviews.
- The 13,000+ users on IMDb who have pushed the flick into the Top 125.
- Theater audiences across the country who gave the flick an "A."

You threadcrapping son of a....

Anyway, onto the box office thread itself. Shannon is right, people just aren't going to the movies this month. While you don't have the greatest choices in the world to pick from, there are a few winners out there (Wallace & Gromit, Serenity, The Corpse Bride, and A History of Violence) that aren't getting that much exposure. So thus a reason for low box office.
Old 10-08-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
Bummer about Serenity. Great movie, horrible time to release it. I'd imagine that this makes a sequel less likely, unfortunately. Good sales of the DVD might cause Universal to give it some more consideration, though.

We'll see...
Old 10-08-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serenity is a great film but boxofficewise it is a flop - sad to say. Success is all about expectations and Serenity was expected to do much better than this.

Hulk made 132 mil at the boxoffice and is considered a bomb even to this day. Why? Because it was expected to do much, much better. Expectations were pretty modest for Serenity and the film is doing much worse than even the modest predictions. It won't make back it's production costs much less marketing. Yes, it will break even on DVD but I believe this is the last we will see of Firefly which is a shame, IMO.

Last edited by moocher; 10-08-05 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-08-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Wow, nice to see a threadcrapper kick off a box office thread.

You threadcrapping son of a....
Is it really threadcrapping if he started the thread?

Just askin'.
Old 10-08-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't confuse hopes with expectations, and don't confuse us Internet geeks with the general populace. We all hoped for greatness, but I doubt anyone at Universal seriously expected much more than this. If they did, they're incredibly foolish, because this was an obvious gamble with a small chance of success. I just can't see how a niche movie with no stars from a cancelled tv show unknown to almost everyone that will likely break even by the end of its cycle can be considered a flop by anything but the most unrealistic of standards. We probably won't get the sequels, but if it simply breaks even, it will be a solid accomplishment no matter how disappointed the diehards are. This isn't a binary situation where the only options are "flop" and "megahit".

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 10-08-05 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-08-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Is it really threadcrapping if he started the thread?

Just askin'.
He crapped on his own thread!

Nice....
Old 10-08-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Don't confuse hopes with expectations, and don't confuse us Internet geeks with the general populace. We all hoped for greatness, but I doubt anyone at Universal seriously expected much more than this. If they did, they're incredibly foolish, because this was an obvious gamble with a small chance of success. I just can't see how a niche movie with no stars from a cancelled tv show unknown to almost everyone that will likely break even by the end of its cycle can be considered a flop by anything but the most unrealistic of standards. We probably won't get the sequels, but if it simply breaks even, it will be a remarkable accomplishment no matter how disappointed the diehards are.

das
By conventional wisdom and logic Serenity should never have been made in the first place. It was indeed remarkable that Joss was able to get it made - and it woulnd't have happened if not for the loyalty of the Firefly fan base.

It did beat out a couple higher profile movies in it's first week, which was another significant accomplishment.

The fact that the movie is so well regarded by most critics and most people who have seen it is just icing on the cake.
Old 10-08-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
2 stop-motion movies in the top 10
Old 10-08-05, 04:23 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Wallace & Gromit is only going to wind up making about $5 million more this weekend than Serenity did last weekend; and Two For the Money - an f'ing Al Pacino flick is going to make LESS than Serenity did. People just aren't going to movies this month, folks.
"Starring Al Pacino" doesn't exactly scream hit movie these days.

As for WALLACE, wait for the Saturday numbers, as with any family film. Don't write it off just yet. CHICKEN RUN started off mild too.

I'm thinking (hoping) it will have long legs. It's a real charmer of a film.
Old 10-08-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
By conventional wisdom and logic Serenity should never have been made in the first place. It was indeed remarkable that Joss was able to get it made - and it woulnd't have happened if not for the loyalty of the Firefly fan base.

It did beat out a couple higher profile movies in it's first week, which was another significant accomplishment.

The fact that the movie is so well regarded by most critics and most people who have seen it is just icing on the cake.
This is true. The film was a crapshoot all along, and I don't think any release date was necessarily going to be an easy sell for this film. Its previous April release date might've been better...hard to say.

But this is starless, based on a tv show most people haven't seen scifi. Not the formula for box office success necessarily. It's underperforming expectations for sure. Though I don't think it has anything to do with word of mouth...word of mouth is good for this niche audience. Heck word of mouth on Star Trek First Contact was good, but these fan scifi properties have never really been known to have good legs. And Serenity didn't have the larger fanbase of a Star Trek movie either.

As for W&G...I imagine it will have some good legs...though it seems like everything seems to be underperforming expectations the last couple weeks. Heck, the whole year.
Old 10-08-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Yeah this has been a slow fall, the biggest hits (flightplan and emily rose) will wind up with 75-80mill. Usually there's been something that hits 100.

I have to admit I got a laugh out of Perk's post.
Old 10-08-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

whats up with the box office? Serenity dropping to ninth place. Suprised Into the Blue didnt do better either, cause I thought the movie was pretty good.

I cant see Serenity making enough to warrent sequels.
Old 10-08-05, 06:53 PM

#1 Your first statement contains a falsehood (that word-of-mouth on Serenity is bad) and an exaggeration (the drop percentage).

#2 Your third statement is full of ignorance ("overblown advertising?") and hate (I'm sure you've seen the movie so you can justifiably call it "crap").

#3 "Right folks?" You are so very wrong.
Old 10-08-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree it wasnt bad word of mouth and the drop wasnt huge at all
Old 10-08-05, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You saw the drop, but did you bother to see the movie before telling us that it's 'crap'? I think any Firefly fan who has seen the movie will at least be somewhat pleased with the result, and some (like me) will be more than happy with what they saw on the big screen.
Old 10-08-05, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Flightplan is showing some decent legs.

What counts the most is the BOX OFFICE.
Old 10-08-05, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I'm wondering if this isn't a direct result of current events and projected ones, what with gas prices high and energy prices being forewarned as going to be high to boot. Could be people are tightening their belts early on in expectations of the coming DVD rentals that they know are coming for the holiday season, as well as saving their bucks for the season on the whole.

Shannon is right, people aren't going to the movies this month, and with the itinerary of films on the way I wonder what movie will change that before Harry Potter 4 hits in November, then King Kong in December. There are some decent prospects this month and next- Elizabethtown, The Fog remake, Saw II, The Legend Of Zorro, Walk The Line, possibly Chicken Little......but on a week by week basis I think the BO is gonna go back in the tank.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.