Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Love for Wallace and Gromit? There's lots here!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

With a Rotten Tomatoes rating sitting at 97% with 99 reviews in right now, I'm surprised noone has started a thread about Curse of the Were-Rabbit!

I saw it today at an early evening matinee. Wow! Funny and exciting, and more horror film homages than you can shake a stick at, including a blink-and-you'll-miss-it direct reference to American Werewolf in London! Wallace and Gromit have never been better. This is the first movie I've seen in a theater since War of the Worlds. A must buy when the DVD comes out.
Old 10-08-05, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw this tonight with some friends, and REALLY enjoyed it. Very clever, very funny. I need to pick up the newer W&G DVD now that has the 10 short shorts on it. I have the green copy that came out awhile back, but it's just the 3 original shows. I also picked up Creature Comforts the other day and I've watched some of that. Hope to see a lot more from Ardman and Nick Park.

One thing though. Some of the humor seemed very adult for a G rated feature. Granted, it probably would go way over the head of someone too young to know about that stuff, but it surprised me a bit.

The "Madagascar" short they had before the show was also pretty funny. I've never seen Madagascar, but I am planning on checking it out now.

Last edited by bdshort; 10-08-05 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-08-05, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was planning on seeing "The Curse of the Were-Rabbit" this weekend, but I got roped into going on a less-than thrilling roadtrip to a pumpkin festival. The wait is killing me!
Originally Posted by bdshort
I need to pick up the newer W&G DVD now that has the 10 short shorts on it. I have the green copy that came out awhile back, but it's just the 3 original shows.
I'm in the same boat you are. I think I'll keep the original W&G DVD, because some of the music cues have been altered on the new DreamWorks release (you'd think DreamWorks is making enough money off W&G to spend the money for the music licensing). I do think I'll get the new rlease for the 10 shorts, though.
Old 10-08-05, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
My wife and I saw this today. Seemed like we were the only ones in the theater without kids. The theater wasn't very full to begin with which disappointed me. This certainly lived up to my expectations as a W&G fan. I also really laughed out loud at the brief Watership Down reference (the song Bright Eyes plays on the radio briefly in W&G's van).

However, apparently we were the only ones who laughed at any of the more subtle jokes. The only laughter we heard were at the more obvious jokes (the 'nuts' joke towards the end for instance).

So this is my third film of the year to see in theaters and three more to go: harry potter, kong, and narnia....wanted to see corpse bride but it was just too short to get me into the theater.

Michael
Old 10-10-05, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still not quite sure of my review of this movie, I'll have to see it again. To me, the shorts feel like a full 90 minute movie condensed into 30 minutes. This movie felt like a full 90 minute movie......in a 90 minute movie. It had about as many laughs in it's entire run as their shorts and the story felt that stretched out too. I still thought it was a good movie, I just think these guys are better suited to the short form.
Old 10-10-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
And now for some very sad Wallace & Gromit news...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movi...ire/index.html

Old 10-10-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Saw it this weekend with the kids.

First movie my 5-year-old sat through without getting fidgety. Hallelujah! Hopefully, this is a sign of things to come and not just an exception to the rule.

Loved all the little visual sight gags...esp. the tumbleweed. The whole audience must have thought I was nuts when I laughed out loud at that.
Old 10-10-05, 05:14 PM

That's terrible about Aardman's archives burning down. Still, I'm glad it didn't happen while the W&G film was still in production.

As for the film, I saw it at the Helsinki International Film Festival a couple of weeks ago and loved it. The pacing was excellent -- I wish half of today's live-action films had such rhythm! And Aardman can always be relied on to mount an amazing finale.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks those bunnies from the end credits would make a fantastic screensaver?
Old 10-11-05, 08:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by N2DVD
With a Rotten Tomatoes rating sitting at 97% with 99 reviews in right now, I'm surprised noone has started a thread about Curse of the Were-Rabbit!

for shame - tsk tsk tsk...

and yes the film is great.

I was talking with some colleagues of mine -who have kids and they were completely clueless as to who Wallace and Gromit - oh boy!

Come on people - let's buck the CGI animated film trend and show them that old school clay animation can bring in the film crowds.
Old 10-11-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm concerned that Wallace and Gromit's box office take is going to turn into the animation equivalent of what Serenity is for sci-fi. With only a little over 300 views in this thread, there appears to be zero interest in an entertaining movie that required a painstaking amount of time and patience to create.

It deserves better, and should not be dismissed simply because someone didn't sit in front of a computer to make it. I guess I'm surprised as well that no one really knows who Wallace and Gromit are, since prior to this weekend I thought everyone did.
Old 10-11-05, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by rennervision
I'm concerned that Wallace and Gromit's box office take is going to turn into the animation equivalent of what Serenity is for sci-fi. With only a little over 300 views in this thread, there appears to be zero interest in an entertaining movie that required a painstaking amount of time and patience to create.

It deserves better, and should not be dismissed simply because someone didn't sit in front of a computer to make it. I guess I'm surprised as well that no one really knows who Wallace and Gromit are, since prior to this weekend I thought everyone did.

and yet people flock to see 'Waiting'
Old 10-11-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to wonder if it's not only the stop-motion holding this back, but the fact it's "british humor"?

How long has it been since a "G" rated family film?
Old 10-11-05, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Chew
I have to wonder if it's not only the stop-motion holding this back, but the fact it's "british humor"?

How long has it been since a "G" rated family film?

'March of the Penguins'

actually it was great to see that Wallace and Gromit was number one over the weekend with a gross of 16mill

Last edited by Giles; 10-11-05 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-11-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My kids think they're getting to old for this stuff. (12 and 10) but we went over the three day weekend. It was great ta see "Claymation" on the big screen. Seeing the finger prints appear and disappear, lil dent from a leg move then gone in a split second. Made ya realize what it must have taken to make this film.

Fun stuff. Good lil references/homages. A good midday, matinee film.

I agree that the British humor/accents may put off some. Don't know why, but I see friends and such really put off by it. Even had a couple loans of Shaun of the Dead come back only partially watched saying "ya didn't tell me it was British comedy." Sigh.
Old 10-11-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
'March of the Penguins'
Forgot about that one.
Old 10-11-05, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by BassDude
My kids think they're getting to old for this stuff. (12 and 10) but we went over the three day weekend. It was great ta see "Claymation" on the big screen. Seeing the finger prints appear and disappear, lil dent from a leg move then gone in a split second. Made ya realize what it must have taken to make this film.

Fun stuff. Good lil references/homages. A good midday, matinee film.

I agree that the British humor/accents may put off some. Don't know why, but I see friends and such really put off by it. Even had a couple loans of Shaun of the Dead come back only partially watched saying "ya didn't tell me it was British comedy." Sigh.
but what did your kids think of it?

and yet people flock to see 'Waiting'

(oh I could say something very anti-American but... nah).
Old 10-11-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by rennervision
And now for some very sad Wallace & Gromit news...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movi...ire/index.html

Wow, that's really sad. I'm glad no one was hurt or killed, though.
Old 10-11-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

but what did your kids think of it?
Funny thing was...my oldest liked it the most. Wants the DVD. Youngest thought it was just okay.
Old 10-12-05, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
As a guy who likes his cheese as well, I'll be hitting this up in the next few days with the girlfriend. She had never heard of W&G either, so I helped educate her in all things Aardman.

Chicken Run is still one of my favorite movies.
Old 10-18-05, 08:59 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Finally saw this on Saturday and thought it was hilarious. We're big fans of W&G anyway, so this was a great treat. The rabbit that ended up talking like Wallace really cracked me up. Good stuff all around. Will be buying the DVD.

And the penguin short convinced me to go rent Madagascar too.
Old 10-18-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i saw this a few days back as well....loved it. Good story, some funny lines. good times.
Old 10-19-05, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
We finally saw this as well. The Wallace-rabbit was great. We both laughed quite a bit, as did the crowd. I'll pick this up when it comes out on dvd.
Old 10-19-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Movie was lots of fun but it sagged a bit in the middle to me. But then it's hard for a feature-length film to measure up minute-for-minute to the brilliant The Wrong Trousers.
Old 10-19-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Let me chime in and say I think "Wallace & Gromit" was one of the best films I've seen all year long. Probably the best animated film I've seen since The Incredibles (although that's a different type of animation).

As for that Madagascar short, though...I thought it was unfunny and dull.
Old 10-19-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
As for that Madagascar short, though...I thought it was unfunny and dull.
I agree. I can't exactly explain why, but it just seemed so... uninspired.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.