Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone remember "Groovy Goolies"? (70's-80's cartoon)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-05, 05:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

I remember this kids/cartoon show and I have always wanted to see it again. Anyone know if this is on DVD, anywhere in the world? Oh how I wish I could relive this child memory...
Old 10-08-05, 05:44 PM

no one??
Old 10-08-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I know I used to watch it, but don't have any strong memories of it. Limited animation, laugh track, & didn't the credits spin around in a circle at the end?

Did you check imdb? They have links to a couple of different theme songs & a page with some small pics you can click. It looks like the show was repackaged several times. I must've seen one of the syndicated versions. I seem to remember it being on early in the morning before school.
Old 10-08-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember watching it in the late 70's after school. I recall it being a part of a syndicated half hour along with Archie and The Riverdale Gang. I'm surprised it hasn't been released on dvd since so many cartoons are being put out these days.
Old 10-08-05, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dubya
I remember watching it in the late 70's after school. I recall it being a part of a syndicated half hour along with Archie and The Riverdale Gang. I'm surprised it hasn't been released on dvd since so many cartoons are being put out these days.
yeah, yeah...it wasn't on like everyday and ran in conjunction with something else and I would wait and see if it was on and eagerly anticipate if it wasn't. i would love the original serial.
Old 10-08-05, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That show was great. I remember it being on FOX here, in the early 80's. I remember other cartoons being involved with the show as well, there was also a goulie named Bone-apart.
Old 10-09-05, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Groovy Ghoulies started out on saturday mornings around 1970. It was spun off from Sabrina the Teenage Witch cartoon, which was spun off from The Archies cartoon. If you didn't know it Sabrina is an Archie caracter who goes to high school with Archie, Jughead and the gang. It's been a long time but I think there may have been something like a Sabrina and The Groovy Ghoulies Hour waaay back then.
Old 10-09-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts
sabrina was related to one of the groovie goolies , cousin or something
Old 10-09-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old timer here, I watched the show when it first came out. It was one of my favorites; there was a whole monster-horror fad from the late fifties to the early seventies with Famous Monsters of Filmland, toys, records, and tv shows featuring take-offs on the classic monsters (The Munsters, The Addams Family). I remember the songs being pretty good as well. The whole show had a Laugh-In type feel, with lots of rapid fire jokes (lots of them repeated from week to week).

There was even a record album released; I haven't listened to it in ages, but I think it had the same quality of pop-bubblegum songs as the Archies and Lancelot Link: (The cover rather oddly augments the cartoon images of the monsters with actors in makeup for some reason, perhaps to make them seem as if they're a REAL band that might be playing your town???)

I don't know who owns the show now, but if it's not Universal I wonder if there's a problem with clearances for the images of the monsters, which are pretty clearly modeled after the (copyrighted) Frankenstein monster, Dracula, and Wolfman characterizations from the Universal films.

Last edited by obscurelabel; 10-09-05 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-09-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Looked it up at IMDB. Sabrina and the Groovy Ghoulies was a 60 min show on CBS saturday mornings(1970-71). The show is a Mark Hudson-Bill Todman(?) production in association with CBS and Columbia Pictures. Distributed by WB in syndication. The song Chick-a Boom(Don'tcha Just Love It) was first heard on the show. Later a hit by Dewey Dewdrop.
Old 10-09-05, 12:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
One of the most bizarre crossover cartoons was a one-hour special (from ABC's Saturday SuperStar Movie) "Daffy Duck and Porky Pig Meet the Groovie Goolies" (currently unavailable in any format), which included the Goolies in a brief live-action segment. Read about it here, at Jerry Beck's Cartoon Research.

http://www.cartoonresearch.com/faqx.html

UPDATE: April 2007: The cartoons were released on DVD back in the fall of 2006. Here's an unenthusiastic review. (I could've sworn the show did have stories. Ahhh, hazy childhood memories)

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read....=25025&___rd=1

Last edited by digidoh; 04-21-07 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Mentioned video availability of Goolies cartoons