Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Why Tuesday?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-05, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Tuesday?

Why are new releases on Tuesday?

It seems like Sunday would be better because that is when the ads come out.
Old 10-05-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stores have limited hours on Sundays. If they made it on Monday, stores might not have their shipments in time, due to carriers not delivering over the weekend. Tuesday allows stores to receive their shipments and get them ready in time for a full sale day.

DJ
Old 10-05-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
That seems a bit too logical. I'm thinking it has more to do with Monday being a sacred day for pagans, and the stores have to do their ritual sacrificing then.
Old 10-05-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Not sure but the fact it gives the average buyer a few more days to pick up a dvd on sale probably helps.
Old 10-05-05, 01:06 AM

I would say that Tuesday is the least busy day of the week. If a new release is out on Tuesday, then Tuesday becomes much, much busier.
Old 10-05-05, 01:15 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Because it just is.
Old 10-05-05, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Because it is after the weekend, yet before the weekend to give people time to pick up a movie... When VHS's first started it was only for major movies and grochery stores... and people would be doing their weekly shooping and see a movie at checkout and like "this would be fun for the weekend" and buy it
Old 10-05-05, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But here in the UK we get new DVDs + CDs on a monday. We can do it with no problem.
Old 10-05-05, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
It's been this way since at least the early seventies. CDs are released on tuesdays too and I can remember going to get new album releases(vinyl) after school or work on tuesdays back as far as '73.

I don't know if this was nationwide, but as a kid in the sixties new movies opened at the theaters on wednesday.
Old 10-05-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jdslater1
But here in the UK we get new DVDs + CDs on a monday. We can do it with no problem.
Yes, but this is the U.S. We can't do anything efficiently.
Old 10-05-05, 08:48 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a smaller country...shipping times aren't as much of an issue...

Old 10-05-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is slighly off-topic, but why aren't video games released only on Tuesday? They get released on different days at different stores.
Old 10-05-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I personally would like to see dvds released on Fridays:

-people get paid that day
-now you can watch them; buying on tuesdays, I really don't watch them til the w/e anyway
-and well, Fridays make more sense.

Oh well, gives me something to do on Tuesdays.
Old 10-05-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In America, store sell DVD even after day it comes out!
Old 10-05-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Wasn't it Thursdays years ago? I don't know when it changed, but I remember back in the 80's they would come out on Thursdays.

Oh, about Mondays: that wouldn't work as well, because occasionally you have those holidays that just have to be on a Monday, so they would end up not getting it on the shelves until the next day.

Last edited by Drexl; 10-05-05 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-05-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking

-now you can watch them; buying on tuesdays, I really don't watch them til the w/e anyway

This is exactly why I buy my DVD's from a small shop that always has their stuff out on the preceding Friday to release day. Yes, it is breaking street date, but they are small and no one bothers them. Plus it's nice to support a local store with people who actually know something about movies than the local Suck-Mart, even if it does costme a little more $.

Plus they never stock any foolscreen versions.
Old 10-05-05, 11:41 AM

It seems like Sunday would be better because that is when the ads come out.
Hell no. After working a 60 hour week I am not going out on a Sunday....for anything. Sunday is for healing my body....not fighting through the already rested weekend-warriors on the roads or in a store.

They need to keep the new titles released on Super Tuesday. On Monday....I'm too busy getting my work week started. Fridays? Hell no there too. I've already done 50 hours by then and after work is insane.

Super Tuesday is perfect. On Monday I compile my list....Tuesday I buy them....and then I have all week and weekend to plan my viddey schedule.

Of course, I buy most of my titles on-line so it really does not matter when I get them. As long as they are dropped right at my door.
Old 10-05-05, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking

I remember hearing that the studios don't want DVDs released on weekend days because those are big movie going days and they don't want DVD releases eating into the theatrical box office.
Old 10-05-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If they were released on Monday, it would give me a reason to get up.
Old 10-05-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, most American consumers spend the bulk of Monday morning whitening, brushing and flossing their teeth after their morning trips to McDonald's.
Old 10-05-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
This is slighly off-topic, but why aren't video games released only on Tuesday? They get released on different days at different stores.
Video games generally don't have hard street dates to adhere to. Stores can release them as soon as they get them.
Old 10-05-05, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by critterdvd
Because it is after the weekend, yet before the weekend to give people time to pick up a movie... When VHS's first started it was only for major movies and grochery stores... and people would be doing their weekly shooping and see a movie at checkout and like "this would be fun for the weekend" and buy it
IIRC, big VHS movies came out on Friday. I want to say I got Batman (1989) on a Friday.
Old 10-05-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Shipping times. That way all the stores an get them and have a fair chance to put it out on the same day.
Old 10-05-05, 01:40 PM
Banned

Video games generally don't have hard street dates to adhere to. Stores can release them as soon as they get them.
Yeah, this is true. With the exception of high-profile stuff like "Halo 2" where a launch date is part of the advertising campaign, any retailer can just put the video games out when they get them.
Old 10-05-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by gutwrencher
Hell no. After working a 60 hour week I am not going out on a Sunday....for anything. Sunday is for healing my body....not fighting through the already rested weekend-warriors on the roads or in a store.

I missed the rule that said you HAD to go on release day.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.