Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Billy Joel Box Set (With Unreleased Tracks)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-03-05, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

This taken from Music Tap:

Billy Joel and his huge new box called My Lives will feature all of his hits as well as his classical works in one retrospective of a brilliant career. The 4CD (with 23 unreleased tracks) and 1 previously unreleased DVD will be warmly received by Joel completists. Expect this one on November 15 and retailing for $59.98, cheaper if you look well.

There's no info about it on Amazon, and Billy Joel's 2002 Tony is the third "news" story on his website, so that gives you an idea of how up to date that is.

My thoughts are this : I'm not thrilled with having to buy another hits collection. This biggest hits I already have on their original CDs, on the "Hits" box set and on SACD. I don't want 'em again. But if there is significantly good stuff with the unreleased tracks, I might be tempted. I'm also curious to see what that DVD is, since the only live Billy Joel DVD (Yankee Stadium) is almost unwatchable. For a man who hasn't put out a new song in over a dozen years, I'm interested in scraps. (I might wait for the collection to hit yourmusic.con, though).
Old 10-03-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
I'm satisfied with the current box.
Old 10-03-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
My thoughts are this : I'm not thrilled with having to buy another hits collection. This biggest hits I already have on their original CDs, on the "Hits" box set and on SACD. I don't want 'em again. But if there is significantly good stuff with the unreleased tracks, I might be tempted. I'm also curious to see what that DVD is, since the only live Billy Joel DVD (Yankee Stadium) is almost unwatchable. For a man who hasn't put out a new song in over a dozen years, I'm interested in scraps. (I might wait for the collection to hit yourmusic.con, though).
I agree. The selling point is the 23 Unreleased Tracks though. That is going to be the closest thing fans can get to a new album. I will have to wait and see though, I'm not a fan of demo's, studio fiddling, partial songs, and non-sense scraps. I want actual tracks, full songs/ b-sides that never made it onto an album. If it is nothing more than scraps, I'll pass.
Old 10-03-05, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happened to the Live from Russia concert? He's got a ton of concert films out there, no? Why not just release those??
Old 10-03-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
*sigh* Count me in as waiting to see what the unreleased stuff is, as I too have far too many incarnations of his greatest hits already (between all I've got, I've technically got his Vols. 1 & 2 GH like five times over!).
Old 10-03-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's hoping the DVD is the awesome "Live from Long Island" concert.
Old 10-04-05, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Here's hoping the DVD is the awesome "Live from Long Island" concert.
Indeed!!
That was a fantastic show, my VHS copy of it turned to dust years ago.
Old 10-12-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Billy Joel boxed set boasts plenty of rarities

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Billy Joel's upcoming five-disc boxed set, "My Lives," features 23 never-before-heard songs as well as a previously unreleased live DVD shot in Frankfurt during the River of Dreams tour.

The set, due December 6 via Columbia/Legacy, begins with rare cuts from Joel's mid-1960s bands the Lost Souls and the Hassles and moves into material recorded by his hard rock act Attila, which released its only album in 1970. Disc one also features demos of "Only a Man," "Oyster Bay" and "Piano Man," plus early versions of "New Mexico" (which became "Worse Comes to Worst") and "These Rhinestone Days" (which became "I Loved These Days").

The second disc sports early versions of "For the Longest Time" and " Elvis Presley Blvd.," a live take on "Captain Jack" from a July 1981 show at Sparks Saloon in Huntington, Long Island, an alternate version of "Getting Closer" with Steve Winwood and a live cover of Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are a Changin"' recorded in 1987 on a Russian TV show.

Disc three is dominated by live and studio covers of such tracks as the Isley Brothers' "Shout," Elvis Presley's "All Shook Up" and "Heartbreak Hotel," the Beatles' "A Hard Day's Night," Leonard Cohen's "Light as the Breeze" and the Carole King/Gerry Goffin oldie "Hey Girl."

The final audio disc features a 1994 live duet with Elton John on "You May Be Right," audio clips of recordings first issued on Joel's "Essential Video Collection" and a series of his recent classical compositions.

The live DVD rounds up 14 selections from throughout Joel's career, including "Pressure," "Allentown," "We Didn't Start the Fire," "Big Shot" and "Goodnight Saigon."

Fans can also utilize Umixit technology encoded onto the disc to make their own remixes of Joel's "Zanzibar" and a live version of "I Go to Extremes."

Reuters/Billboard
Old 10-12-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DISC 1
1. My Journey's End - (with The Lost Souls)
2. Time And Again - (with The Lost Souls)
3. Every Step I Take (Every Move I Make) - (with The Hassles)
4. You've Got Me Hummin' - (with The Hassles)
5. Amplifier Fire - (with Atilla)
6. Only A Man - (demo)
7. She's Got A Way
8. Oyster Bay - (demo)
9. Piano Man - (demo)
10. New Mexico (demo - became "Worse Comes To Worse")
11. Cross To Bear - (demo)
12. Miami 2017 - (demo)
13. These Rhinestone Days (demo - became "I Love These Days")
14. Everybody Has A Dream
15. Only The Good Die Young - (alternate version)
16. Until The Night
17. Zanzibar - (demo)
18. It's Still Rock And Roll To Me
DISC 2
1. Captain Jack - (live)
2. End Of The World, The (demo - became "Elvis Presley Blvd")
3. Prime Of Your Life, The (demo - became "For The Longest Time")
4. She's Right On
5. Elvis Presley Boulevard
6. Nobody Knows But Me
7. An Innocent Man - (demo)
8. Christie Lee - (demo)
9. Easy Money
10. And So It Goes - (demo)
11. Untitled Demo
12. I'll Cry Instead - (live)
13. Keeping The Faith - (12" dance remix)
14. Modern Woman
15. Baby Grand - (featuring Ray Charles)
16. Getting Closer - (alternate version, featuring Steve Winwood)
17. Times They Are A Changin', The - (live)
DISC 3
1. House Of Blue Light
2. Money Or Love - (demo)
3. Downeaster "Alexa", The
4. I Go To Extremes - (live)
5. Shout
6. All Shook Up
7. Heartbreak Hotel
8. When You Wish Upon A Star
9. In A Sentimental Mood
10. Motorcycle Song (demo - became "All About Soul")
11. You Picked A Real Bad Time
12. River Of Dreams - (alternate version)
13. Hard Days Night - (live)
14. Light As A Breeze
15. To Make You Feel My Love - (alternate version)
16. Why Should I Worry
17. Where Were You On Our Wedding
18. Highway 61Revisited - (demo)
DISC 4
1. Movin' Out
2. You May Be Right - (live, featuring Elton John)
3. Big Shot
4. Don't Worry Baby
5. Goodnight Saigon - (live, Vets version)
6. Los Angelenos
7. New York State Of Mind
8. Opus 1. Soliloquy (On A Seperation)
9. Opus 8. Suite For A Piano (Star Crossed): I. Innamorato / II. Sorbetto / III. Delusion
10. Elegy: The Great Peconic - (with London Symphony Orchestra)

Don't know what's on DVD yet.
Old 10-12-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

demos and early versions

cd of cover songs

one duet with Elton? where are the rest? They've done about 4 tours together and do a few songs together at each performance. You can't tell me they've done the same 3-4 songs over the course of multiple tours in 10 years?

I have their 98 tour on CD. I haven't listened to it in a while, I will have to pull it out and see what they performed together.
Old 10-12-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anything without All for Leyna is crap.
Old 10-13-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn, damn, damn! Of course I'll be picking this up after seeing all the rarities on there, but on the other hand, there are so many tracks on this that I picked up compilations and movie soundtracks for just his stuff already! Thankfully I haven't picked up the "Oliver & Company" soundtrack yet! The Hassles stuff they picked is great.. it'd be better if they put the live version of "You Got Me Hummin'" from his 12"er of "Tell Her About It" though. I could be wrong, but I think "Money or Love" became "No Man's Land", but then they didn't say so there where they did for others.. Glad to see "Shout" on here too (2nd time it's on cd). I just thought it was cool with Liberty taking a verse (assuming it's from Yankee Stadium too).

And I agree with Michael Corvin.. it's about time that they get around to putting out some Face to Face stuff!! This'll make the second official song released I believe. There's a box set from Austrailia that has Billy doing "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" on it from one of their shows.

Edited after thought: The more I think about it, I think the song I was thinking of is "Lawyers & Divorces" that became "No Man's Land". Lawyers/divorces, money/love.. same difference.

Last edited by reverie; 10-13-05 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-13-05, 10:10 AM

There's enough interesting stuff there to convince me to buy it. I wonder if the few hits that are there are studio versions or not. For example, that "New York State of Mind on Disc 4 is from the "Concert For New York" post-9/11, not the studio version. Since the press release describes this as a companion to the Greatest Hits, I'll assume all are different versions.
I assume the "Times They Are A' Changin" is the same one on KOHUEPT (with Joel flubbing an important lyric, that always bugged me). I have some of the covers on other tribute albums and stuff, but it's nice to have it all in one place.
Hope I can find it for a good price.

BTW : Has anyone seen the cover? It was painted by his daughter Alexa at age 7. And you thought the River Of Dreams cover was creepy. This should be the ultimate arguement against nepotism in album covers. Too bad I can't find it anywhere...
Old 10-13-05, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by bigjim25
Don't know what's on DVD yet.
Here you go:

DVD:
"No Man's Land"
"Pressure"
"Ballad of Billy the Kid"
"Leningrad"
"Allentown"
"My Life"
"I Go to Extremes"
"Shades of Grey"
"The River of Dreams"
"Goodnight Saigon"
"We Didn't Start the Fire"
"Hard Days Night"
"Big Shot"
"Piano Man"

And as far as deals, I can't find anything yet, but Costco is selling the new(ish) four-disc Johnny Cash set from Epic/Legends for $27.99. I think it's certainly possible they'll do the same with the Billy Joel set (as they did last year with the Michael Jackson set released in December).

Last edited by Decker; 10-13-05 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-19-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW : Has anyone seen the cover?
Here's the cover for you. Thanks for DVD info!
Old 10-20-05, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 11-10-05, 09:11 AM

As noted in the Garth Brooks thread, Billy Joel will have a solo tour in early 2006 with tickets capping out at $75. Good news, indeed. Article here
Also the article mentions that the box set has been moved up to 11/22. They must want the full Christmas shopping season with that box on the shelves. Makes sense to me.
Old 11-10-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great news on the tour.. hope I'll be able to go! That picture was pretty darn scary at the bottom of the article.. Billy's turning into a munchkin! He looks much better thinner and with hair.
Old 11-10-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

He got married again? He definitely needs to hit the treadmill, as well as the recording studio.

I saw him in 94 for the River of Dreams tour and twice with Elton. I will probably sit this one out.
Old 11-10-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's the cover for you. Thanks for DVD info!
Looks similar to Dylan's painting of his Planet Waves cover...

Old 11-20-05, 02:08 AM

Can't cut & paste, but there's a good article about Joel in the new EW. Sounds like his wife has helped him clean up his act (though his explanation that stability at home makes him not want to drink is a little simplistic -- I wish he'd come to terms with alcoholism as a disease). He's pretty adamant about not wanting to ever cut a record again (he says he lacks the desire to be competitive in the rock & roll world). But then at the end of the piece, Sony Music chief Don Ienner reviles that Joel called him to ask about booking some studio time to work on a new pop song, so you never know....

BTW : Got my tickets this morning for the Vegas show 4/8/06!
Old 11-21-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He's pretty adamant about not wanting to ever cut a record again (he says he lacks the desire to be competitive in the rock & roll world). But then at the end of the piece, Sony Music chief Don Ienner reviles that Joel called him to ask about booking some studio time to work on a new pop song, so you never know....

I could understand the lack of desire to write or play, but if all he's worried about is competition, that's the sorriest excuse I've ever heard.

I do hope he does come back to the pop/rock world. It feels emptier without his music (just my feelings, as he was the first person I really got into musically).
Old 11-21-05, 11:19 AM

I don't think it's the competition he's worried about, but just the lack of desire -- the drive to succeed. His quote was in respone to Elton John saying that he hoped that Joel would regain the confidence to record another pop album. Joel said that he doesn't lack confidence, just the desire to be on top of the pop world. I can respect that decision and his wanting to "go out on top" like some of his sports heros. Still, if Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney and The Rolling Stones can produce meaningful albums in their sixties, I'm sure Joel has some more left in his tank if he ever really tried again. Here's hoping the new wife nags him and inspires him enough.
Old 11-24-05, 01:19 AM

So anyone get this yet? I've gotta wait til Christmas. Also did anyone pick it up at Best Buy? They have some sort of "Umixit" disc that could be fun for a few minutes, I suppose.
Old 11-27-05, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

which greatest hit or compalation CD contains the 45 version of SOMETIMES A FANTASY, as it is actually longer than the LP version (instead of fading, it ends with Joel screaming and the guitar screeching)?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.