DVD Talk
See if you can balance the budget and erase the deficit! [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : See if you can balance the budget and erase the deficit!

Chaos
09-30-05, 09:38 PM
http://www.nathannewman.org/nbs/whytax.shtml

there's a short version and long version on the top right

I reduced the deficit by $102 bill - mostly by doubling military spending, increasing tax cuts and eliminating most social welfare programs and farm subsidies.

kvrdave
09-30-05, 10:13 PM
Budget Totals
Old budget was $3747.36 billion
($2672.527 billion in spending, $1074.833 billion in tax expenditures and cuts).
New budget is $3352.45 billion
($2997.49 billion in spending, $354.96 billion in tax expenditures and cuts).

You have cut the deficit by $394.91 billion.
Your new deficit is $6.09 billion.

I did it with love. :)

X
09-30-05, 10:17 PM
I cut the budget by $850 billion mostly by reducing taxes and tax breaks. Ended up with a huge surplus.

grundle
10-01-05, 08:47 AM
This is what I got:

Oops!

You've cut so much that the federal budget now contains a substantial surplus. Many economists warn that this budget may help induce or prolong a recession, and ordinary citizens demand a refund. You might want to cut taxes or raise spending.

classicman2
10-01-05, 09:10 AM
Deficits - surpluses

They are all phony as long as you use the current process that is used - The Unified Budget.

Dose of realism for the posters in this thread. ;)

VinVega
10-01-05, 09:13 AM
Well, I killed the Bush tax cuts and cut Defense and Iraq spending by 20%. I cut General government administration by 30%. I cut corporate tax brakes by 10%.

I increased Veterans spending and Education by 10%.

Wound up with a deficit of $1.41 billion. Cut the deficit by $399.59 billion.

:banana:

al_bundy
10-01-05, 09:47 AM
i eliminated everything, cut taxes and came out with a nice surplus

classicman2
10-01-05, 09:47 AM
I cut a lot more than 10% from the defense budget.

I removed all corporate tax breaks.

I increased veterans spending by 50%.

Jason
10-01-05, 10:03 AM
I cut a meager 10% from military and quagmire spending, cut 10% from personal business and investment benefits, and eliminated the tax cuts for the rich, corporate tax breaks and international affairs. I was able to raise veterans benefits by a whopping 30% and still have a $15 billion surplus.

Jason
10-01-05, 10:08 AM
I went back and increased military, veterans benefits, and administration of justice by 100%. I reduced the rest by 70% and eliminated education, social security and international affairs. I also increased all tax benefits by 100%.

I now have a $1.3 trillion dollar deficit.

Red Dog
10-01-05, 10:46 AM
To no surprise, I got the same comment as grundle.

Th0r S1mpson
10-01-05, 10:51 AM
I reduced all military spending by <b>70%</B>, increased welfare and environmental spending by 100%, ended up with a deficit, and blamed Bush.

mosquitobite
10-01-05, 01:12 PM
I reduced all military spending by <b>70%</B>, increased welfare and environmental spending by 100%, ended up with a deficit, and blamed Bush.

rotfl

Breakfast with Girls
10-01-05, 02:31 PM
Cut Social Security, Medicare, corporate tax breaks, and military spending by roughly 20-30% each. Increased veterans' benefits and space research spending. Doubled tax benefits for those under $150,000. Eliminated farm subsidies. Cut unemployment and welfare, increased adoption and housing funds. Ended up with a very nice surplus which would be used to pay down the national debt.

classicman2
10-01-05, 02:54 PM
Yeah, that's really smart. Cut Social Security & Medicare 20-30% and seniors will return to the poverty they had a few decades ago. :rolleyes:

Why is everyone concerned about the deficit? I taunt the Repubs about it, because they once claimed ot be deficit hawks. What is the percentage of the deficit to the GDP?

Among the top ten ranked problems facing the U. S., the deficit ranks about 100th.

A far greater problem confronting this country is the trade deficit.

NCMojo
10-01-05, 07:32 PM
Why is everyone concerned about the deficit? I taunt the Repubs about it, because they once claimed ot be deficit hawks. What is the percentage of the deficit to the GDP?

Among the top ten ranked problems facing the U. S., the deficit ranks about 100th.
Well, 172 members of the National Association of Business Economics certainly disagree (http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/survey/2005-03-21-deficit-threat-nabe_x.htm?POE=NEWISVA) with you.

Not to belittle the trade deficit, which is a major concern... especially when coupled with our overall debt level.

wmansir
10-01-05, 08:01 PM
In my "screw C-man" budget I elminated SS, Medicare and Vet Benies, then doubled the tax cuts for the top 20% and ended up with $400B surplus.

I googled C-SPAN to see which department I should elminate, but it turns out it is a private service from the cable TV industry. :mad:

X
10-01-05, 08:04 PM
Why is everyone concerned about the deficit? I taunt the Repubs about it, because they once claimed ot be deficit hawks. What is the percentage of the deficit to the GDP?Exactly.

As many times as I've asked, nobody has been able to point to concrete historical negative ramifications of having a deficit in the range we're dealing with. They can only speculate as to sky-is-falling possibilities that weren't observed in previous times of relatively high deficit.

http://www.nationalpriorities.org/images/stories/chartspage/ontotdefpergdp.gif

lordwow
10-01-05, 08:32 PM
I'm not concerned with the deficit. In fact, I like the deficit. It's fun.

That being said... I reduced it AND increased tax breaks. Go Me.

Old budget was $3747.36 billion
($2672.527 billion in spending, $1074.833 billion in tax expenditures and cuts).

New budget is $3438.71 billion
($2334.42 billion in spending, $1104.29 billion in tax expenditures and cuts).
You have cut the deficit by $308.65 billion.
Your new deficit is $92.35 billion.

Where did I save my money?

Welfare, Transportation, Commerce Loans, and Govement Administration (there were a few smaller decreases)

I also increased Education, Science and Tech, Vetrans, and Medicare spending.

I'd be happy with my budget.

classicman2
10-01-05, 09:06 PM
The argument for decades against deficits was that they caused interest rates for business and consumers.

Since that argument has been thoroughly debunked - what next?

Negative effect on economic growth? Where is the evidence of that?

Red Dog
10-01-05, 09:43 PM
In my "screw C-man" budget I elminated SS, Medicare and Vet Benies, then doubled the tax cuts for the top 20% and ended up with $400B surplus.

Good strategy. Need to find the combination that will force c-man to sell his computer and get him outta here. ;)

10-02-05, 04:58 AM
Get everyone into the military! Pacemakers, oxygen tanks, wheelchairs, take everyone, then they can eliminate all the civilian spending. End of problem.

10-02-05, 05:04 AM
Exactly.

As many times as I've asked, nobody has been able to point to concrete historical negative ramifications of having a deficit in the range we're dealing with. They can only speculate as to sky-is-falling possibilities that weren't observed in previous times of relatively high deficit.

http://www.nationalpriorities.org/images/stories/chartspage/ontotdefpergdp.gif

Love the chart! Looks like we are free and clear to run deficit up to a third of the economy, then wave a magic wand and then get a 5% surplus like in 1949. I'm sure if we can accomplish as much in the future as we did in WWII, no deficit is insurmountable

X
10-02-05, 10:33 AM
Love the chart! Looks like we are free and clear to run deficit up to a third of the economy, then wave a magic wand and then get a 5% surplus like in 1949. I'm sure if we can accomplish as much in the future as we did in WWII, no deficit is insurmountablePeople seem to forget the doom and gloom about the deficit in the '80's and how quickly it turned into a surplus in the '90s. Many people consider that situation to be an example of cause and effect.

wendersfan
10-02-05, 12:34 PM
I googled C-SPAN to see which department I should elminate, but it turns out it is a private service from the cable TV industry. :mad:What the hell's your beef with C-SPAN?

In an attempt to make Red Dog <i>and</i> c-man happy, I cut taxes, increased veteran's benefits, medicare, and SS, and cut everything else except defense. I ended up with a surplus.

Pharoh
10-02-05, 01:01 PM
Didn't try since I don't want a surplus.

Breakfast with Girls
10-02-05, 01:27 PM
Yeah, that's really smart. Cut Social Security & Medicare 20-30% and seniors will return to the poverty they had a few decades ago. :rolleyes:Well, <i>yeah</i>, since I hate old people.

classicman2
10-02-05, 05:40 PM
What the hell's your beef with C-SPAN?

In an attempt to make Red Dog <i>and</i> c-man happy, I cut taxes, increased veteran's benefits, medicare, and SS, and cut everything else except defense. I ended up with a surplus.

You failed to make me happy, because you didn't ask for a tax increase on you know who. ;)

DarkestPhoenix
10-02-05, 11:26 PM
By eliminating social security, I've managed a 503 Billion Dollar surplus.

As a matter of fact, doing nothing but cutting social security will give you a 143 Billion Dollar surplus.

As such, I demand that's what we now do. That shit program never shoulda got started. Fucking communism.

Pistol Pete
10-03-05, 04:48 PM
Heh. I screw the old, the poor, farmers, teachers, college students, and the traditional family.

Eliminate social security, education, agriculture, medicare and non medicare health, aid to low income families, and general family support.

Double the tax cuts.

-> 225.92 billion surplus.

Use the surplus to eliminate the estate tax and reduce the top income tax to 25%.

VinVega
10-04-05, 06:59 AM
Didn't try since I don't want a surplus.
Yes, increasing the deficit is great. It's wonderful that we have to hope China keeps paying for our deficit for us. I just hope that international countries don't stop buying dollars.

classicman2
10-04-05, 07:23 AM
The deficit - ranks 100 of my one hundred things to be concerned about. ;)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0