DVD Talk
Teen who hit pregnant girlfriend with bat sentenced to work at pregnancy center [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Teen who hit pregnant girlfriend with bat sentenced to work at pregnancy center

Jadzia
09-30-05, 05:21 PM
This sounds like a bad idea:

http://www.freep.com/news/locmac/bat30e_20050930.htm

Sentence in fetus death questioned

Teen has to work at pregnancy center
September 30, 2005

BY NATE TRELA
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

A 17-year-old Richmond Township boy who tried to end his girlfriend's pregnancy by beating her with a miniature baseball bat will have to work at a crisis pregnancy center, despite objections from his attorney and concerns from his court-ordered counselor.

The boy, who pleaded no contest to the assault Aug. 31 in front of Macomb County Circuit Judge Matthew S. Switalski, will be on probation until he is 19 under the terms of his disposition hearing, the juvenile court equivalent of sentencing. Because he is charged as a juvenile, the Free Press is not using his name.

Switalski said the prosecutor's office "creatively, but correctly" charged the boy in January after autopsy results came back on the 26-week-old fetus found in November buried on the farm the boy's family lives on. The boy and his then-girlfriend, a now 17-year-old Armada Township resident, told police that she wanted to end the pregnancy but did not want to tell their parents about it. They decided that he would beat her in the abdomen with a mini-bat, and the pregnancy ended in October.

The boy was charged with intentional conduct against a pregnant individual resulting in miscarriage or stillbirth, a rarely used 15-year felony charge. The girl was never charged, and sat among the boy's relatives and supporters in court Thursday.

"It does not have to define you," Switalski told the boy, who said almost nothing during the hearing.

His attorney, Miranda Massie, had no objection to most of the terms of probation, but questioned the constitutionality and appropriateness of having the boy perform 200 hours of community service at Clinton Township-based Compassion Pregnancy Center. She said the center is overtly anti-abortion, works religious themes into its counseling and gives questionable information to people seeking help. She is looking into whether that portion of the sentence can be appealed.

The boy would not counsel or interview teens or women facing an unwanted pregnancy, but Massie said it was still an inappropriate place to require him to volunteer. His counselor sent Switalski a letter saying working at the center could make it difficult for the boy to deal with the guilt and grief he feels over what happened, and Massie noted that a similar center gave the boy and his then-girlfriend inaccurate advice about whether they could get an abortion without parental consent.

"It's what led them into taking the actions they took," Massie said.

Switalski said the sentence is proper.

"If the message is 'What can we do to help save the pregnancy?' I'm not going to take issue with that message," he said.

I think this kid should stay away from pregnant girls!

kvrdave
09-30-05, 05:51 PM
Man, they are really coming down hard on these things. The guys life is ruined.

JumpCutz
09-30-05, 05:59 PM
He probably won't do it again. Plus he used a 'miniature bat'.
Cut him some slack.

Mordred
09-30-05, 06:12 PM
I was skimming the article and I thought the prosecuter was saying the boy "creatively, but correctly" aborted the fetus... which seemed a bit odd.

DVD Polizei
09-30-05, 07:02 PM
Wow. Tough sentence.

FYI: Why not send him to prison and have him work in the laundry room for a year.

grundle
10-01-05, 08:57 AM
The boy and his then-girlfriend, a now 17-year-old Armada Township resident, told police that she wanted to end the pregnancy but did not want to tell their parents about it. They decided that he would beat her in the abdomen with a mini-bat, and the pregnancy ended in October.

Since she consented to the act, and abortion is legal, I don't see why he should be punished.

In fact, this conviction is a threat to abortion rights.

tasha99
10-01-05, 03:22 PM
Since she consented to the act, and abortion is legal, I don't see why he should be punished.

I was thinking the same thing. What he did is appalling, but he basically performed a creative "home abortion" where the mother was a willing participant.

I guess he's guilty of practicing medicine without a license.

Rockmjd23
10-01-05, 03:49 PM
Less barbaric than most abortion procedures.

kvrdave
10-01-05, 11:10 PM

I am guessing for the same reason they don't let me do breast exams. Even though I am creative about it, I still don't really know what the hell I'm doing other than using my tongue.

It isn't legal for just anyone to perform an abortion. This kid is trying to horn in on the wrong crowd.

DVD Polizei
10-02-05, 12:21 AM
Less barbaric than most abortion procedures.

Yes, I've seen doctors and nurses strike the mother's womb with baseball bats all the time. At first I thought, "Huh. This is odd." But then when I read your post, I totally understand how this must be a routine procedure in abortion clinics.

lordwow
10-02-05, 01:36 AM
I am guessing for the same reason they don't let me do breast exams. Even though I am creative about it, I still don't really know what the hell I'm doing other than using my tongue.

:lol:

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0