Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Black music culture is turning back the clock on progress

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-05, 04:33 AM
art
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am appalled by the constant barrage of misogynistic and homophobic rap/hip-hop artists coming out of some of the labels in America. Once it was the case that black music artists changed the world for the better but now it's a case of wallowing in inane, hateful lyrics and dumb wails. I'm at least glad that Kanye West had the guts to launch a broadside at these sewer-dwelling sleaze-buckets.
Old 09-30-05, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
I'm sorry if this is off-topic, but I just wanted to mention that my horse just had his first birthday party and I finally taught him a second trick.
Old 09-30-05, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoVegan
I'm sorry if this is off-topic, but I just wanted to mention that my horse just had his first birthday party and I finally taught him a second trick.

Although if you look at it, it's pretty much the same trick, just dressed up a little differently.
Old 09-30-05, 06:59 AM

Personally as a black American, I've felt that black music has been dying a slow death for some time now. And sadly, the R&B genere is virtually dead.
Old 09-30-05, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by art
I am appalled by the constant barrage of misogynistic and homophobic rap/hip-hop artists coming out of some of the labels in America. Once it was the case that black music artists changed the world for the better but now it's a case of wallowing in inane, hateful lyrics and dumb wails. I'm at least glad that Kanye West had the guts to launch a broadside at these sewer-dwelling sleaze-buckets.
...and then do the same thing on both his albums.
Old 09-30-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Kanye West hates bi-people.
Old 09-30-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Get out of this forum!!! Out! Out! Seriously, art, out!!!
Old 09-30-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts
Old 09-30-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, how about that R Kelly Trapped In The Closet video?
Old 09-30-05, 12:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437194
Old 09-30-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
But what if the albums contain rapper on rapper action?
Old 09-30-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
But what if the albums contain rapper on rapper action?
We need more Barbara Streisand in our gangsta rap.

It's a hypocrisy that the industry doesn't come out with such CDs, despite the complete lack of consumer interest in it. It's obvious that consumer demand will spontaneously appear once such Barbara Streisand/G-Money duets are released. The industry is simply afraid of that combination.

A bunch of Barbaraphobes, that's what they are.

- David Stein
Old 09-30-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by art
I am appalled by the constant barrage of misogynistic and homophobic rap/hip-hop artists coming out of some of the labels in America. Once it was the case that black music artists changed the world for the better but now it's a case of wallowing in inane, hateful lyrics and dumb wails.
eminem ain't black
Old 09-30-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by sfsdfd

It's a hypocrisy that the industry doesn't come out with such CDs, despite the complete lack of consumer interest in it. It's obvious that consumer demand will spontaneously appear once such Barbara Streisand/G-Money duets are released. The industry is simply afraid of that combination.

- David Stein
Awesome!

Now that is sig material!
Old 09-30-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by spacecowboy1
Personally as a black American, I've felt that black music has been dying a slow death for some time now. And sadly, the R&B genere is virtually dead.
Yeah and the best part about it is the music is more popular than ever and doesn't show many signs of letting up anytime soon, look man I can put out an album full of grunts and talk about how cool the stuff I own is where's the creativity how many songs can you make about how big your rims are? The only people buying this shit are white middle class kids anyhow.

I'm as white as they come, but my roommate is half black and he acts like he's 100% when it benefits him, but the other day we were sitting outside of our apartment when my neighbor drove up (he's black) and he was listening to something I've never heard before, that sounded pretty cool so I asked my all knowing african brotha of a roommate what it was and he had no Idea since it was obvious that lil John wasn't grunting. So I asked my neighbor and he told me what it was (I can't remember now) anyhow we got to talking and my roommate was listening to some dreg at the time and I asked my neighbor what he thought about it and he's like "man I don't listen to that shit" too funny
Old 09-30-05, 04:20 PM
Banned

Ain't nothin wrong with misogyny.

WHOOP THAT TRICK
Old 09-30-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by sfsdfd

- David Stein
David...you, sir, rock. I couldn't have better summed up art's stupidity myself. In fact, I don't think anyone has.
Old 09-30-05, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I realize music is an art but it never occured to me that it can possess visual attributes such as color. Interesting...
Old 09-30-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Funny thing is that I love rap more then ever now,your just listening to that crap on the radio and then pre-judging it from there when most people know that enjoy rap is from the underground,stuff you dont here on the radio,BET,MTV etc.

Its there you just have to find it,and as for K.West both his albums where the suq.
Old 09-30-05, 08:05 PM
art
Banned

Alot of these rap/hip-hop artists are plain adolescent jerks wallowing in imitation for the purpose of being considered "cool" or "hip". They couldn't sing their way out of a paper bag yet they land these contracts with Suge Whatsisname and sundry other wankers. I have absolute disdain for them from go to whoah. Oh, they're such big boys, singing about ho's and bitches, **** and fannies. Marvin Gaye had more talent in his cuticle than these sorts have combined.
Old 09-30-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by art
Alot of these rap/hip-hop artists are plain adolescent jerks wallowing in imitation for the purpose of being considered "cool" or "hip". They couldn't sing their way out of a paper bag yet they land these contracts with Suge Whatsisname and sundry other wankers. I have absolute disdain for them from go to whoah. Oh, they're such big boys, singing about ho's and bitches, **** and fannies. Marvin Gaye had more talent in his cuticle than these sorts have combined.
Since the subject of race has apparently been set aside for this post, I have to say I agree with art on this one.
Old 09-30-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by art
I could say the EXACT same thing about most of the hair bands that came out in the 80's early 90's you are looking at one particular genre and allowing it to form your opinion of whole culture. Someone ealier posted the link from the hip hop thread that's was done a while back you should really check out the acts listed in there.

or

You can check out this guy Caushun he's supposedly the first openly gay rapper (not that's anything wrong with that)
Old 09-30-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But art, there's no male male action in country music either!
Old 10-01-05, 01:23 AM
art
Banned

I was listening to some compilation cd's containing soul/disco music from the 60's and 70's, and it struck me that this was "real" music. Hugely, hugely talented artists were making music back then. You could sing to it, it lifted your spirits, and it was actually musical. And there was none of this homophobic, sexist drivel that passes for "hip" today.
Old 10-01-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by art
I was listening to some compilation cd's containing soul/disco music from the 60's and 70's, and it struck me that this was "real" music. Hugely, hugely talented artists were making music back then. You could sing to it, it lifted your spirits, and it was actually musical. And there was none of this homophobic, sexist drivel that passes for "hip" today.
Well, they had actual bands back then. Now it's just producers. And MTV. And Clear Channel. And a record industry more interested in control than giving people what they want. And marketing exclusively to youth. And Hot Topic. And CDs at mall record stores "on sale" for $19.99. Amd the notion that the only form of talent worth recognizing is "pushing the envelope." And people like Suge Knight and Sharon Osborne.

I think this argument could be easily expanded to include the current US metal scene. Despite the fact that metal is popular in all forms throughout the world, MTV, clear channel, and the big labels in the US insist on pushing nothing but mean spirited, "brutal" metal which is nothing but agitated noise and grunting (literally) about how much they hate everything and how everything should DIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! The guitar solo, any hint of actual technical skill in playing, and any "real" singing has been eliminated, and is disdained as "wanking" or being "cheeseball".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.