DVD Talk
Sen. Affleck? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Affleck?

DJLinus
09-28-05, 08:46 PM
Picture This: Ben Affleck, Senator From Va.
By Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts
Tuesday, September 27, 2005; Page C1

If you liked him as Bennifer . . . you'll love him as Benator!

That's the hot new idea being tossed around by Virginia Democrats, who are desperately searching for a big name to challenge the reelection bid of rising GOP star Sen. George Allen next year, now that outgoing Gov. Mark Warner has ducked out.

Why, who should happen to be pondering a move to Thomas Jefferson country but a certain square-jawed media magnet with a taste for liberal politics and millions to spend on it . . . Ben Affleck ! Star of "Gigli" and the J.Lo tab romance, now happily settled with "Alias" star Jennifer Garner .

The couple, expecting their first child, have been shopping for real estate around Charlottesville. British tabloids claim it's a done deal; we will only go so far as to report that they checked out at least one country estate a few weeks ago.

It was about that time that party officials started batting Affleck's name around. "It's spread pretty widely, at least in the political underground," University of Virginia professor Larry Sabato, Virginia's premier pundit, told Michael Shear, The Post's Richmond correspondent.

Another name on the wish list: blockbuster legal-thriller writer John Grisham . But the central Virginia farmhouse owner, who gives generously to Democrats and did a stint in the Mississippi legislature, has brushed off past overtures, sources say.

In truth, the Dems are less concerned with beating Allen than slowing him down. Both he and Warner are eyeing the 2008 presidential race.

Affleck spokesman Ken Sunshine said the rumors are baseless, though "he would be a superb candidate for public office in the future. Right now, he's very busy directing his first feature movie for Disney, 'Gone, Baby, Gone.' "

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/26/AR2005092601991.html

Gigli...that's one long attack ad. But to be fair, he was indeed the bomb in Phantoms, yo.

Red Dog
09-28-05, 10:21 PM
Affleck has as much a chance of beating Senator Allen as I do. I want to know who the genius was that thought of this.

The only Democrat hope to beat Allen in '06 is Gov. Warner and he is not running.

Mad Dawg
09-28-05, 10:26 PM
[url]Affleck spokesman Ken Sunshine said the rumors are baseless, though "he would be a superb candidate for public office in the future. Right now, he's very busy directing his first feature movie for Disney, 'Gone, Baby, Gone.'

In a related story, all Disney execs who have screened dailies from "Gone, Baby, Gone" have thrown their enthusiastic support behind an '06 Affleck Senate campaign.

DJLinus
09-29-05, 07:02 AM
Affleck has as much a chance of beating Senator Allen as I do. I want to know who the genius was that thought of this.

The only Democrat hope to beat Allen in '06 is Gov. Warner and he is not running.

I made it home last week and was able to talk a little VA politics with my dad. Allen seems to still be immensely popular.

I'm one of those who actually likes Affleck - not for his politics (I'm not sure of his exact stands on issues), but he seems like a nice guy and able to laugh at himself. A senator, though?

I remember the press and the Republicans having a field day with Chuck Robb's VA Beach coke parties. Just imagine what's in Affleck's closet that hasn't already been in the tabloids.

bhk
09-29-05, 07:49 AM
Not to mention that he was one of those that exhorted others to vote in 2000 and didn't vote himself. In other words, a typical hollywood liberal.

Nesbit
09-29-05, 08:03 AM
I'm sure he'll run at this some point but with since he's about to have a kid and is directing his first picture I seriously doubt it will be in '06. He should move back to Massachussets and run there.

classicman2
09-29-05, 08:16 AM
That's all we need - another mediocre (at best) actor running for office. ;)

VinVega
09-29-05, 08:28 AM
I'm guessing he's way to liberal to win in VA. Nice try though.

classicman2
09-29-05, 08:30 AM
The people of California elected Arnold - you can never tell about folks.

Red Dog
09-29-05, 08:47 AM

California and Virginia are just a tad different, wouldn't you say? ;) I'm not surprised at all that those avacado-heads put the Terminator in the governor's mansion.

LiquidSky
09-29-05, 08:52 AM
:eek:

classicman2
09-29-05, 08:53 AM
I've always why the really great actors like Henry Fonda, Spencer Tracy, Fredric March, etc. didn't run for office?

Forgive me if the above is a little off-topic. ;)

mosquitobite
09-29-05, 03:51 PM

You really think so? With all the "carbon blobs" out there? ;)

I don't give the electorate much benefit when it comes to brains. Name and face recognition mean more sometimes than what the politician actually stands for - especially if they don't say a whole lot.

I do think VA would be a stupid place for him to run though, considering how red the state is. But I'd say the purple states would be prime for celebrity politicians. Thing is Ben doesn't really want the seat...

If whatshername runs against Hillary next year then Hillary has to spend big bucks to keep her Senate seat in NY. Less money to spend for 2008. Ben also has lots of his own money he can spend.

They want to do the same to Allen. I'd take that as a compliment if I were him! :)

Red Dog
09-29-05, 03:57 PM
You really think so? With all the "carbon blobs" out there? ;)

It's Virginia - the Terminator or a Charlton Heston type would probably do very well here with the carbon blobs. Ben Affleck, though?! :lol:

mosquitobite
09-29-05, 04:01 PM
I'd like to see a few celebrities run as indepedents. It's bout time to open up the 2 party stranglehold...

I think a really strong independent celebrity candidate in 2008 (not Walken, he's too scary looking! :lol: plus all those Prophecy screen shots...) could really go a long way to help the libertarians, the greens, etc...

DJLinus
09-29-05, 04:08 PM
I meant to mention earlier that I'm more dismayed by Affleck's choice to live among the Wahoos. Sure, Charlottesville is beautiful and steeped in history...I just hate UVA.

I think a really strong independent celebrity candidate in 2008...could really go a long way to help the libertarians, the greens, etc...

Drew Carey '08!

Rogue588
09-30-05, 12:10 AM
Mary Carey '08!Fixed.

One politician I wouldn't mind getting screwed over by..

mosquitobite
09-30-05, 08:04 AM
I meant to mention earlier that I'm more dismayed by Affleck's choice to live among the Wahoos. Sure, Charlottesville is beautiful and steeped in history...I just hate UVA.

Drew Carey '08!

When I took that politics test here last week or so, I ended up on the same point as Drew. I had no idea he was political til then. :lol:

DJLinus
09-30-05, 11:13 AM
Well, I remember that he wore a Reason magazine t-shirt on an episode of his sitcom once. I thought that was pretty cool. But that's as "political" as I've seen him get, other than being in said magazine from time to time (and appearing at their upcoming Vegas conference).

Tommy Ceez
09-30-05, 12:19 PM

Yes, but Arnold proved that he could actually convince people to show up and pay $10 to see a movie he starred in...when has Ben Afflack doen this?

Red Dog
09-30-05, 02:02 PM
Ben should have made a run for VA Gov. I haven't been following the campaign much (I am going to let VA poli otters try to convince me to vote for someone sometime next month) but it seems like the candidates leave a lot to be desired.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0