DVD Talk
Cannot stand politics [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cannot stand politics

accessories4sale
09-28-05, 05:30 PM
I am so political, I cannot stand to talk about politics any more. I used to enjoy it a lot but begining with the Iraq war and then the elections, I have not had any decent political conversations in quite a while.... I am afraid it is going to take a long time to get to the point were I can stand to listen to opposing points of view without getting sick...

heimerSWT
09-28-05, 05:30 PM
Well then, you came to the right place!

bhk
09-28-05, 05:34 PM
:lol:

I hate DVDs.

X
09-28-05, 05:46 PM
:lol:

I hate DVDs.Wrong forum!

Th0r S1mpson
09-28-05, 05:46 PM
Well then, you came to the right place!
Took the words out my my mouth.

But I am confident that along with the next republican president will come a passing of at least <i>some</i> of this disdain. Finally, "I'm not Bush" will be accepted on both sides. Whether you agree with many of the current administration's policies or not, the passing of it will certainly come as a relief. No matter who wins... No matter who wins.

Groucho
09-28-05, 05:58 PM
I don't know, Thor. The "I'm not Bush" strategy didn't work for John Kerry, so I don't see we'll see a repeat of that.

Hillary '08 -- She's George W. Bush!

bhk
09-28-05, 05:59 PM
I'm sure she's Bush--y.

General Zod
09-28-05, 06:05 PM

But I am confident that along with the next republican president will come a passing of at least <i>some</i> of this disdain. Finally, "I'm not Bush" will be accepted on both sides. Whether you agree with many of the current administration's policies or not, the passing of it will certainly come as a relief. No matter who wins... No matter who wins.
How can Jeb say "I'm not Bush"?

Th0r S1mpson
09-28-05, 06:10 PM
I don't know, Thor. The "I'm not Bush" strategy didn't work for John Kerry, so I don't see we'll see a repeat of that.[/i][/b]
I'm not saying candidates will run with that campaign... I'm just saying it will be another person there, and both sides will be glad. These 8 years of people whining about Bush have been painful. At least it will be a new tune.

And in saying "whining" I'm not talking about disagreements in political views, disagreements about the war, or responsible debate. I'm talking about the other side of the left. They're not going anywhere, but hopefully they can just go on mumbling that "at least he's not Bush" or something. The fixation on this man in incredible. Hopefully that remains into November of 2008.

nemein
09-28-05, 06:28 PM
How can Jeb say "I'm not Bush"?

Jeb has a snowball's chance in hell of being the president.

Th0r S1mpson
09-28-05, 07:40 PM
Jeb has a snowball's chance in hell of being the president.
...in 2008.

Lemdog
09-28-05, 09:32 PM
I'm sure she's Bush--y.
-ohbfrank- :lol:

kvrdave
09-28-05, 11:29 PM
Part of the problem is people are stupider on the internet when they talk about politics.

Myster X
09-29-05, 12:48 AM
I think people need to stop being infatuated with celebrities' political comments.

hahn
09-29-05, 03:34 AM
I think people need to stop being infatuated with celebrities' political comments.
Go ahead and find a link to anyone's post on DVDTalk about a celebrity's political comments. Let me know if you can find one posted by a liberal.

nemein
09-29-05, 05:36 AM
Go ahead and find a link to anyone's post on DVDTalk about a celebrity's political comments. Let me know if you can find one posted by a liberal.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437493

Although I guess it depends upon whether or not she counts as a "celebrity"... seems to fit IMHO ;)

However you're right the majority are started by cons since the majority of celebrities are libs. What makes more sense, someone starting a post saying "look here's something someone said I really agree w/" or "look here's something someone said that I don't agree w/"? We are a people who seem to find controversy attactive so naturally the latter makes more sense. JMO

DrRingDing
09-29-05, 07:53 AM
The fixation on this man in incredible.

yeah. cuz the fixation on clinton wasn't incredible... ?! :hscratch:

it's just reversed now. whereas before the left was fixated on defending clinton, now the right is fixated on defending bush - i don't mean completely, but saying "take it easy, he's not that bad. stop whining." whereas the right was fixated on publicly decrying anything "Clintonian", now the left is fixated on publicly decrying anything "Bush--y"...

nemein
09-29-05, 08:42 AM
...in 2008.

Personally I would say ever, but that's JMO

VinVega
09-29-05, 08:50 AM
yeah. cuz the fixation on clinton wasn't incredible... ?! :hscratch:

it's just reversed now. whereas before the left was fixated on defending clinton, now the right is fixated on defending bush - i don't mean completely, but saying "take it easy, he's not that bad. stop whining." whereas the right was fixated on publicly decrying anything "Clintonian", now the left is fixated on publicly decrying anything "Bush--y"...
Well said. :up:

Nothing is going to change in '08. Well, unless the political climate changes in this country and it's bigger than one individual in office. I don't see the level of vitrol in politics getting any better going forward.

Myster X
09-29-05, 02:29 PM

I'll give you a hint. Type this in the search area

Michael Moore

Numanoid
09-29-05, 02:37 PM
I'll give you a hint. Type this in the search area

Michael MooreI believe he means a DVD Talk member that is a liberal.

Myster X
09-29-05, 02:42 PM
There are plenty of liberals responding to thread about Michael Moore and infatuated with his comments.

Pharoh
09-29-05, 02:44 PM

Nothing is going to change in '08. Well, unless the political climate changes in this country and it's bigger than one individual in office. I don't see the level of vitrol in politics getting any better going forward.

I agree. The reasons for this have little to do with anything inherently political.

VinVega
09-29-05, 03:57 PM
I agree. The reasons for this have little to do with anything inherently political.
So you're saying it's a societal thing? Have we become the "smack down" society?

Pharoh
09-29-05, 07:36 PM
So you're saying it's a societal thing? Have we become the "smack down" society?

I didn't necessarily mean that we have become a 'smack down' society. However, I do believe it is a societal, along with a demographic and technological, thing.

mosquitobite
09-30-05, 07:53 AM
I didn't necessarily mean that we have become a 'smack down' society. However, I do believe it is a societal, along with a demographic and technological, thing.

It's like rooting for your favorite team.

How many Sox fans like Yankee fans? ;)

elperdido
08-22-06, 03:46 AM

The passing of the current administration will certainly come as a relief for many--including me.

GreenMonkey
08-22-06, 07:36 AM
The passing of the current administration will certainly come as a relief for many--including me.

Dude, this thread is like a year old, and certainly nothing it it warranted resurrecting it from the dead.

NCMojo
08-22-06, 07:40 AM
Looks like someone is bored with the topics on the front page... -rolleyes-

But on topic -- I somewhat agree with the OP on this point. I deeply care about politics, because I honestly believe that politics represent the best method for bringing about societal change. But I sometimes despair. In our highly partisan political environment, it seems that Winning At All Costs has become a means to its own -- it's no longer about changing government, or making America a better place. It's about maintaining a power base, and rewarding corporate sponsorship, and it's lead us all to develop a dangerously cynical attitude toward politicians and government, where everyone is a liar, everyone is corrupt, and government forces really are out to clamp down on civil rights and personal freedoms.

And then to come here and see intelligent people defending these actions, often blindly and without reason, makes me somewhat sick to my stomach. I'll post what I can, and "fight the good fight", but I honestly can only take so much of the rancor and sneering vitriol and the general "truthiness" that seems to pervade so much of what passes as "civilized discussion", and then I have to get out of this place for a while, before I end up getting suspended or banned. I can't have political discussions over the dinner table. I can't go over the day's news without a fight.

After a while, it does make you just want to hang up your boxing gloves and settle down in Book Talk for a while.

mosquitobite
08-22-06, 08:34 AM
I'm not saying candidates will run with that campaign... I'm just saying it will be another person there, and both sides will be glad. These 8 years of people whining about Bush have been painful. At least it will be a new tune.

And in saying "whining" I'm not talking about disagreements in political views, disagreements about the war, or responsible debate. I'm talking about the other side of the left. They're not going anywhere, but hopefully they can just go on mumbling that "at least he's not Bush" or something. The fixation on this man in incredible. Hopefully that remains into November of 2008.

Do you think Reagan or Bush 1 were any different? I tend to think not.

nevermind
08-22-06, 08:50 AM
Looks like someone is bored with the topics on the front page... -rolleyes-

Yeah, Bush READS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After a while, it does make you just want to hang up your boxing gloves and settle down in Book Talk for a while.
Speaking of which, why didn't you post that thread in Book Talk?

NCMojo
08-22-06, 09:10 AM
Yeah, Bush READS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of which, why didn't you post that thread in Book Talk?
I have too much respect for the intellect of the people in Book Talk.

al_bundy
08-22-06, 09:27 AM

nothing ever changes

i studied for an American History CLEP a month ago and listened to a UC Berkeley course on the subject via ITunes. Same geographic lines, different labels and issues as 120 years ago. Only difference is the northeast has california to back it up now.

otherwise it has always been the northeast states against the loosely populated western states. and politics has always been dirty. today we have the media unlike 120 years ago when a lot of things were hidden from a lot of people.

Bushdog
08-22-06, 09:31 AM
It's like rooting for your favorite team.

How many Sox fans like Yankee fans? ;)
That doesn't really work. With a few exceptions Yankee fans and Red Sox fans get along fine at the individual level. It is when they see them as a monolithinc other that things get ugly.

VinVega
08-22-06, 09:36 AM
That doesn't really work. With a few exceptions Yankee fans and Red Sox fans get along fine at the individual level. It is when they see them as a monolithinc other that things get ugly.
You know what, it can work that way with politics too, if both people try to look for common ground, which there is a lot of out there. We tend to focus on the stuff we disagree on here since if we all agreed there wouldn't be a hell of a lot of posts here.

On a national level though (in a monolithic sense, to steal some of your thunder) I don't see the discourse getting better. Maybe in the smoke filled back rooms, the politicians from both sides do work together, but in public, they don't like to admit that too much.

classicman2
08-22-06, 10:08 AM
I'm not certain how much Clinton read. I don't imagine he had much time for it since he was busily engaged in other activities. ;)

I suppose the last president who read a lot was Richard M. Nixon.

X
08-22-06, 10:14 AM
Dude, this thread is like a year old, and certainly nothing it it warranted resurrecting it from the dead.Just reviving his old thread.

Hey elperdido, how did that Netflix stock work out for you anyway?

VinVega
08-22-06, 10:25 AM
Just reviving his old thread.

Hey elperdido, how did that Netflix stock work out for you anyway?
:lol: Nice catch X!

dick_grayson
08-22-06, 10:26 AM
good stuff. unfortunately, I'm in desparate need of some accessories......ho hum.

Goldblum
08-22-06, 12:39 PM
I guess his accessories4sale personality can't stand to talk about politics, but his elperdido personality doesn't have any qualms about it! :banana:

grundle
08-22-06, 04:19 PM
I am so political, I cannot stand to talk about politics any more. I used to enjoy it a lot but begining with the Iraq war and then the elections, I have not had any decent political conversations in quite a while.... I am afraid it is going to take a long time to get to the point were I can stand to listen to opposing points of view without getting sick...

I hate butter flavored jelly beans.

I'm going over to http://www.butterflavoredjellybeans.com to make some posts.

Jason
08-22-06, 05:09 PM
Dude, this thread is like a year old, and certainly nothing it it warranted resurrecting it from the dead.

But until you looked at the dates on the responses, there was no way to tell it hadn't been started this morning.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0