Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial: Single-Disc Edition?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-27-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tried a search here with no luck... and I can't seem to find a single review online. Which seems strange... looks like this release either came in under everyone's radar, or no one gives a shit about this movie.

Anyway, my question is pretty simple -- which version of E.T. is this? The original 1982 version, or the more recent version with the bathtub scene, CGI changes, etc. The packaging does not seem to indicate either way...
Old 09-27-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it was in a thread about a whole batch of "dumbed down" releases coming out... it's the walkie-talkie version.
Old 09-27-05, 03:19 PM

It's the 2002 20th anniversary version. I almost considered buying it too until I researched it more and realized this version must have really sucked. I haven't seen the new version yet but it sounds bad. They took out on of the funniest scenes, added a CGI E.T. and replaced the guns with walkie-talkies. Of course you already knew that but maybe some others didn't. Just go for the 2-disc limited edition. I just got mine yesterday brand new. Yeah, it's out of print but it's easy to get fairly cheap online somewhere.
Old 09-27-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the thread in question...and it is the walkie talkie e.t.

Universal dumbs down for re-releases of E.T., Cape Fear, and Meaning of Life 08.23.05
Old 09-27-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah, thanks. I wasn't sure it had been confirmed.

Looks like I'm going to have to hunt down the older 2-disc edition to find the 1982 version in DTS.

(And, why bother re-releasing this so soon? ...from the lack of info/reviews, it seems like no one wanted this...)
Old 09-27-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it was to cash in for holidays sake....the old disc has been OOP for a while...similar to the toy story situation where a lot families didn't have a dvd player when this was released.

I suggest borders and barnes & noble for copies of E.T. Possibly FYE (which still had the box set in most areas)...the box doesn't have th dts though. You could also use the blockbuster no late fees policy and rent and not return...then a few weeks later go pick up the packaging. The only problem i see with buying this used is that the packaging is usually pretty mangled, it was poorly designed to start and shelf wear kills most of them. good luck.
Old 09-27-05, 05:08 PM

Hmm...I really want the 1982 version as well. I think I am going to try B&N and Borders.
Old 09-27-05, 05:38 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Cameron
the thread in question...and it is the walkie talkie e.t.

Universal dumbs down for re-releases of E.T., Cape Fear, and Meaning of Life 08.23.05
Closing duplicate...