Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Is "Superbit" the future?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-05, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is "Superbit" the future?

Im having second thoughts about colelcting DVD's currentyl as perhaps i should just be waiting for them on superbit?! Is superbit going to be the next standard? What do you all think?
Old 09-25-05, 12:07 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, too many people choose extras over better a/v quality.

And of course, some type of HD-DVD format (which ever eventually wins out) will be the future and these discs will have enough space for great a/v quality and extras.
Old 09-25-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I doubt it, as it looks like Best Buy is currently trying to blow out most of their Superbit stock at bargain prices. That could mean the Superbit titles weren't selling as well as expected. Also, a number of DVD retailers don't even stock Superbit titles (unless it's the only version available).
Old 09-25-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Superbit was a niche market for people that only cared about audio/video quality and not any sort of extra material... and with leaving the extras off the discs many people did not purchase them.
Old 09-25-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Originally Posted by Esper
Im having second thoughts about colelcting DVD's currentyl as perhaps i should just be waiting for them on superbit?! Is superbit going to be the next standard? What do you all think?
First thing... welcome to the forum!

Second thing...you do realize that SuperBit is a Sony marketing scheme? Plus only a select number of their movies get the Superbit treatment.

This would severely limit your buying options so you might want to re-think this strategy.
Old 09-25-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by critterdvd
Superbit was a niche market for people that only cared about audio/video quality and not any sort of extra material... and with leaving the extras off the discs many people did not purchase them.
I'm one of those people who care mostly for audio/video quality and could care less about extra bellas and whistles. I hate to think of that kind of DVD enthuiast being part of a niche market.
Old 09-25-05, 11:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nightmaster
I'm one of those people who care mostly for audio/video quality and could care less about extra bellas and whistles. I hate to think of that kind of DVD enthuiast being part of a niche market.
I concur one hundred percent.
Old 09-25-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also agree 100%. To me, It's all about the very best picture and sound. I really could care less about the extras.
Old 09-26-05, 12:02 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Same here.

But I won't mind if they would just place the extras on an extra disc and make it a multi-disc release
Old 09-26-05, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

gonna disagree...why i love the idea of superbit deluxe...and other dvd's that follow form with higher bitrate. I have passed on several superbit titles for lack of extras....i would much rather hear commentaries on the guns of navarone, from here to eternity, and so on...Dvd is all about the total package for me. Picture and sound, docs, commentaries, trailers...

but I like production info, and obsess over behind the scenes details. A good movie deserves a good treatment all the way around.
Old 09-26-05, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm also going to disagree with what seems to be the majority. I'd much rather see the film's trailer, promotional materials, interviews with the people responsible for making the film, an entertaining and informative commentary, documentaries (especially in the event of a film being based on a true story), and so forth...than get better A/V quality. I guess I'm in the minority (on these forums, though definitely not the minority of DVD buyers) in that I don't have a multi-thousand dollar HT set-up.

As long as the presentation is solid enough to not be distracting, give me extras instead of improved A/V any day of the week.

-JP
Old 09-26-05, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
There are still a huge amount of people who buy dvds but still have a regular little tv. At 20-25 inches, you don't see a major difference a lot of times between a superbit and standard release. This being the case, a lot of these people would probably just prefer to get a standard quality with the extras.
Old 09-26-05, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just want anamorphic transfers and digital sound (full bitrate DTS would be nice) when applicable. If we can get less compression by removing self-promoting EPK's and interminable animated menus, all the better.
Old 09-26-05, 09:02 AM
Retired

The problem is, to most people's eyes and ears, Superbits don't sound or look noticeably better. You really have to be a diehard audio/videophile and know what to look for to tell the difference between a Superbit and a good sounding and looking regular DVD.

I would certainly take a Superbit over an extra's packed DVD that had a poor transfer. But the fact is 99% of DVDs look great and I can't tell how Superbits look or sound any better on my system so I'll go for the extras and the good enough looking transfer and sound.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 09-26-05 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-26-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They also probably think that the videophile and audiophile crowd will buy the dvd for a movie as it is the best quality out there and then they can release the superbit and that same crowd will probably buy it again.

I'm for two disc sets myself. Get the high quality on one disc and the supplemental on the other disc.
Old 09-26-05, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by exharrison
There are still a huge amount of people who buy dvds but still have a regular little tv. At 20-25 inches, you don't see a major difference a lot of times between a superbit and standard release. This being the case, a lot of these people would probably just prefer to get a standard quality with the extras.
I watch my DVDs exclusively on DVD-ROM. I can't watch DVDs now on a regular TV; to me, it's such a drastic drop in video quality. On DVD-ROM, I can easily see the difference between, say, the old Scarface disc and the 2003 re-release. To Live in Die in L.A., for example, has a pretty good transfer but with a lot of pixelisation due to compression, which shows that too much (the film and a retrospective doc) is packed onto one disc. As I've commented before on a Superbit thread, the original Desperado release looks really off, and I noticed it immediately.
As I notice these things, I'm a bit disappointed. However, I do like special features, but I find that the only ones I'm really interested in are making-of docs or retrospectives.
Old 09-26-05, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by exharrison
I'm for two disc sets myself. Get the high quality on one disc and the supplemental on the other disc.
I'm all for this.
Old 09-26-05, 11:36 AM

superbit will never be the standard....they STILL have those damn black bars at the top and bottom of the screen!
Old 09-26-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,260 Likes on 838 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
I'm also going to disagree with what seems to be the majority. I'd much rather see the film's trailer, promotional materials, interviews with the people responsible for making the film, an entertaining and informative commentary, documentaries (especially in the event of a film being based on a true story), and so forth...than get better A/V quality. I guess I'm in the minority (on these forums, though definitely not the minority of DVD buyers) in that I don't have a multi-thousand dollar HT set-up.

As long as the presentation is solid enough to not be distracting, give me extras instead of improved A/V any day of the week.

-JP
I agree.
Old 09-26-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
superbit will never be the standard....they STILL have those damn black bars at the top and bottom of the screen!
I sure hope you are joking

As for the future? Superbits have been around for a few years now...It's nothing special, marginal video/audio quality on most movies....I have a bunch
Old 09-26-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I sure hope you are joking
He is. See MGM and Warner DVDs' definition of "standard."
Old 09-26-05, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Of coarse! It's widescreen, in OAR (Original Aspect Ratio.) With an exception of 1.85:1, 1.78:1 ratio, and 1.66:1, which fill the entire widescreen anamorphically.
Hook, line...

Old 09-26-05, 12:12 PM
Banned

Well...although I own all the Superbit versions of the movies I like, I often wonder why ALL the space on the disc isn't used up as their little diagram shows. I've often wanted to take my discs and show how much of the alotted 8.5GB is used on the SB's I have.
Old 09-26-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
He is. See MGM and Warner DVDs' definition of "standard."
Those darn black bars. Its gotten to the point where FS looks weird to me. Even when I'm watching tv or tv shows that never had WS. I think my mind is slowly beginning to ignore that portion of the screen.
Old 09-26-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Well...although I own all the Superbit versions of the movies I like, I often wonder why ALL the space on the disc isn't used up as their little diagram shows. I've often wanted to take my discs and show how much of the alotted 8.5GB is used on the SB's I have.
Claims sell better than actually doing?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.