Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Are there VGA to DVI cables?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-05, 09:54 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My TV only has one HDMI input and I want to use that for my Oppo DVD player with HDMI/DVi cable. But my cable box also has a DVI input. Is there a VGA to DVI cable that exists that I can run from my TV to box?Thanks!!

Last edited by Moorqueen; 09-24-05 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Aded more for clarity.
Old 09-24-05, 10:12 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
No. VGA is an analog signal DVI is a digital signal. But...

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. Your cable box is outputting a signal, it's not running from your TV to your cable box.

Can you provide more information as to what inputs your TV has and whether your cable box has DVI-D or DVI-I (which would include a VGA signal in which case you could get a DVI to VGA cable)?
Old 09-24-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even if he can use a DVI to VGA we need to know if his TV can accept a VGA input. He also can use component cables if his TV has inputs those since I'm pretty sure his cable box supports component output.
Old 09-24-05, 10:54 PM
Cool New Member

The cable box is a Motorola DCT6412. It has the 24 pin DVI with the horizontal slash. The television is a Magnavox 50ML8105/1 which has a VGA input.
Old 09-25-05, 08:26 AM

If the horizontal bar on the DVI connector is surrounded by 4 pins, you've got DVI-I. You can get DVI-I to VGA adapters from many online computer stores, including Newegg.com (search for "DVI VGA" and sort by price).

If the horizontal bar isn't surrounded by any pins, you've got DVI-D, which can't be converted to VGA.

You can see what the various DVI pinouts look like here.
Old 09-25-05, 09:35 AM
Cool New Member

The Oppo DVD player looks like it uses DVI-I. Can I still use a DVI-D to HDMI cable for that? I guess I'll just have to use component between the cable box and TV. Thanks.
Old 09-25-05, 11:19 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Moorqueen
The Oppo DVD player looks like it uses DVI-I. Can I still use a DVI-D to HDMI cable for that?
Yes. The DVI-D cable just won't have the extra pins used for the VGA.
Old 09-25-05, 12:16 PM
Cool New Member

But I just realized if the Oppo uses DVD-I then I could use a VGA/DVI cable between the DVD and the TV and just use an HDMI/DVI cable between the cable and TV.
Old 09-25-05, 01:12 PM
X
Administrator

If the VGA part of the DVD-I is putting out VGA, not just that the jack is in DVD-I form. They could use a DVD-I jack just to be compatible with more cables. So you better find out if the Oppo does indeed output a VGA signal.
Old 09-25-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's DVI-I, X. And you are right. I very much doubt either the 6412 or the Oppo will output an analog or VGA signal on their DVI outputs. That is really the area of just a few graphics cards for PCs.

You would therefore need a transcoder to go from DVI to VGA for this scenario. I think I've seen those, but they are expensive. A DVI switch is probably the best bet. No, wait...an HDMI switch is probably the best bet so it is more future proof. Then you'd need cables.