DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Newbie HDMI question

Old 09-18-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie HDMI question

OK, I bought a DLP TV last week. The salesman asked if I wanted an HDMI cable ($60), but I declined because I didn't know if he was just trying to grab a couple extra bucks from me. What exactly does an HDMI cable do? I have an HD cable box, but Comcast has to come to my house to install an HD line (They say they don't do Cable cards anymore). So, for the time being, I don't have an actual HD hookup. I heard that an HDMI will sharpen an analog & digital signal, is this true? Also, once Comcast hooks up my HD line, will I still need an HDMI hookup?

Basically, I'm looking for the low-down of what I need to do to get the optimum quality/picture form my HD set. From unpacking the TV from the box, what do you/should you do to get the best performance? I love how dvd's look, but standard TV isn't quite up to par of what I'm used to watching.

Any help?

Thanks,

~S
Old 09-18-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The HDMI cable connects either a dvd player or a cable box or a sat receiver to the tv. If you can use this cable the picture will look the best with the highest quality material.

HDMI carries a digital audio signal in addition to the video signal and still has bandwidth for future enhancements. So HDMI is definitely the connection for the future of home theater. HDMI connectors resemble USB connectors (from the PC world) and their compactness make them more convenient than the larger DVI connectors.
http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/hometheater/dvi.php

So, which is better, DVI or component? HDMI or component? The answer--unsatisfying, perhaps, but true--is that it depends. It depends upon your source and display devices, and there's no good way, in principle, to say in advance whether the digital or the analog connection will render a better picture. You may even find, say, that your DVD player looks better through its DVI or HDMI output, while your satellite or cable box looks better through its component output, on the same display. In this case, there's no real substitute for simply plugging it in and giving it a try both ways.
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/122868.html

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 09-18-05 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-19-05, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup it really depends and there's no way of knowing for sure without trying it with your components. Some people say that with a digital display an all digital connection is best. The problem with this is that some brands and models of digital HDTVs take that digital HDMI input and convert it to component inside the TV anyway. But you really have no way of knowing this short of getting the schematics for your model. The best bet is to buy an HDMI cable from store with a good return policy if you're not happy with it after trying it out.
Old 09-19-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
OK, I bought a DLP TV last week. The salesman asked if I wanted an HDMI cable ($60), but I declined because I didn't know if he was just trying to grab a couple extra bucks from me. What exactly does an HDMI cable do? I have an HD cable box, but Comcast has to come to my house to install an HD line (They say they don't do Cable cards anymore). So, for the time being, I don't have an actual HD hookup. I heard that an HDMI will sharpen an analog & digital signal, is this true? Also, once Comcast hooks up my HD line, will I still need an HDMI hookup?
~S
Not to hijack, but your comment about Cable Cards bothered me. As a cable provider, Comcast (like all the others) is required by the FCC to provide a CC when requested. They don't want to because they can't sell you PPV through it, but refusing to give you one is illegal. There have been problems getting them to work properly, but that's a different matter.
Old 09-19-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Thanks Brian & Chip.

BSTNFAN-Yeah, they gave me quite a problem about the card. I actually went through the same ordeal today when I tried to request one again. They told me that it wasn't recommended (suddenly they DO have them) because PPV wasn't available, as well as other options. Here's the kicker...they wouldn't GIVE me one, they have to set up an appointment, which costs me $15.95 for them to come and plug in a card, which, during the process, they will probably mess up my spiderweb of wires running behind my TV & stereo tower. Also, the card carries a $5.95/month fee, which I thought was going to be free. Damn the man!!!