Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

which version of nosferatu is the best (1920s version)?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-05, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several versions out there, which one should I get? I'm looking for the best total package.
Old 09-17-05, 08:12 PM

The Restored Kino version should be the best deal. You can get it on amazon for 16 bucks!!! Now that's a deal!
Old 09-17-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
second for the kino....you can also get the german masterworks box for cheap now as well...has der golem, waxworks, cabinet of dr. caligari

the image release is pretty good as well.
Old 09-17-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For a direct comparison of the Image and Kino discs, including screen shots, check out DVD Beaver:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcom...vs%20Kino.html
Old 09-18-05, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks for the link.....the commentary on the image disc is worth a spin...but i own the kino
Old 09-18-05, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kino has the best film presentation.

Image has the best extras.

The 'German Masterworks' box Cameron mentioned is a great deal and was < $40 during the last DDD sale.
Old 09-18-05, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You know, I actually saw this on VHS once in a class and it had this psychedelic '70s-era rock soundtrack. Anyone recall a DVD version having a soundtrack like that? It really sounded great and worked well with the imagery.
Old 09-18-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
Kino has the best film presentation.

Image has the best extras.

The 'German Masterworks' box Cameron mentioned is a great deal and was < $40 during the last DDD sale.
It's $48.xx now. Still a good deal but maybe I should wait for the next sale.
Old 09-18-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by slowcloud
You know, I actually saw this on VHS once in a class and it had this psychedelic '70s-era rock soundtrack. Anyone recall a DVD version having a soundtrack like that? It really sounded great and worked well with the imagery.
You sure you're not thinking of Metropolis with a 1980s rock soundtrack by Giorgio Moroder?
Old 09-18-05, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No and it should stay off DVD.
Old 09-18-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
You sure you're not thinking of Metropolis with a 1980s rock soundtrack by Giorgio Moroder?
No, I'm aware of that one. This seemed really obscure and has a '70s feel, not '80s.
Old 09-18-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
No, I'm aware of that one. This seemed really obscure and has a '70s feel, not '80s.
I believe there was some kind of GOTHIC ELECTRONICA mix of sorts at one point lingering around out there.
Old 09-18-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
I believe there was some kind of GOTHIC ELECTRONICA mix of sorts at one point lingering around out there.
You're probably right. I bet there have been many scores made for this, in all kinds of genres of music. This may just only make the version I am looking for less likely to be on DVD, since the music sounded so dated (but damn funky, I might at-- kind of prog rock of the early '70s). There have been so many versions of this movie on DVD, so I understand the purpose of a thread like this to seek out a definitive version. I'm all for seeing that pointed out by consumers. I'm just hoping anyone may have noticed a score like the one I am describing on any of the existing versions.
Old 09-18-05, 05:50 PM

I've still not purchased this on DVD because the Kino seems to have the better picture (and a longer version of it) but I've heard some pretty bad things about the soundtracks for that version.
Old 09-18-05, 06:08 PM

Other reviews comparing the Kino & Image editions are available at the Silent Era website.
Old 09-19-05, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by kingtopher
I've still not purchased this on DVD because the Kino seems to have the better picture (and a longer version of it) but I've heard some pretty bad things about the soundtracks for that version.
Unfortunately, that's the dilemma. Kino does indeed use the longer cut and boasts a better overall picture. But you're right, the soundtracks are distractingly atrocious. However, Nosferatu is one of those silent movies that works OK if you turn down the volume and create your own soundtrack by playing a CD or two. (For example, I almost always play Prokofiev when I'm watching Image's release of Pudovkin's Mother, which uses a poorly recorded soundtrack from the 1960s.) For Nosferatu, I highly recommend using an atonal composer like Schoenberg or Alban Berg -- if you can stand them, that is. Bartok also works. Or if you're a little daring, Radiohead's album Kid A works remarkably well with this movie -- though I know some people would actually prefer Kino's soundtracks over that one.

Basically, just don't feel tied down to a bad soundtrack for a good transfer of a silent film.
Old 09-19-05, 09:39 AM
Suspended

None of the Region 1 editions come with the original (reconstructed by Gillian Anderson) Hans Erdmann film score, which is really better than everything produced ever since and is offered on some European editions. This score is also available on a Surround Sound CD from BMG from Germany (part of the "100 years of film music" series), which it took me many years to hunt down:

There is also a 1998 James Bernard version available on CD, which I haven't heard but is not as rare. [James Bernard was the composer of the Hammer horrors of the sixties and seventies.]

All the other scores I've heard are weird-for-weird's-sake unadulterated crappola. At least, this film has so far been saved from the indignity of yet another mind-numbing specially-commissioned "original" Philip Glass score... (Ugh!)

I spent hours trying to make the 60 minute Erdmann CD fit to the 80 minute film (with certain repetitions and jumps). Just when I found an acceptable way to do this convincingly with the Image laserdisc, Kino came out with a longer, differently cut DVD version of the film and I have yet to attempt to fit the music to this version. Making the synchronisation difficult is the fact that the Erdmann score is very precise in commenting musically on every key scene, such as the ringing of the hours in the castle, the movement of horses, the movements of the vampire, etc.

Needless to say that if Criterion came out with a DVD that had a perfectly synchronised Hans Erdmann film score, I'd buy it!

Besides, all available versions are badly cropped one way or another and I believe only a pillar-boxed or window-boxed edition would compensate somewhat for the natural overscanning of most TV sets which keeps the viewer from seeing the top of the monster's head in the famous standing-erect-from-the-coffin scene in the ship - even in the Kino edition.

Last edited by baracine; 09-19-05 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-19-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i;ll have to hunt down that soudtrack
Old 09-19-05, 02:51 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cameron
I'll have to hunt down that soundtrack
A quick look at ebay and amazon confirms that it is not readily available. It's a 10-year old CD and is out of print.

Another problem with synchronising the Gillian Anderson-reconstructed Hans Erdmann score is the fact that Ms. Anderson obviously worked from a European video source (possibly the Image DVD or video) with its 1/25th speed-up, which makes the synchronisation of the CD with the new Kino DVD (not speeded up) a bit of a challenge.
Old 09-20-05, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

that should give me good excuse to buy the image disc...yah thats right....i'll own the same movie twice....and lose no sleep over it
Old 09-20-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's funny, because today in film history class we watched a version of Nosferatu that had a soundtrack by the band "Type O Negative". I thought it would be just some cool orchestral type music, but it was just actual songs by them set to the film. I like their music normally fine, but it just didn't work here I thought.

And it had an introduction by David Carradine...

Last edited by naitram; 09-20-05 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 06:32 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by naitram
That's funny, because today in film history class we watched a version of Nosferatu that had a soundtrack by the band "Type O Negative". I thought it would be just some cool orchestral type music, but it was just actual songs by them set to the film. I like their music normally fine, but it just didn't work here I thought.
The only band that didn't tackle this film is the Backstreet Boys... The only film score that works for me is the reconstructed Hans Erdmann score. It's late romantic classical music but it still works and is genuinely scary and extremely well married to the images.