Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So who here actually sees IMAX films?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-16-05, 02:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Considering that IMAX is having a rather boffo year at the movies - "Batman Begins" "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" who here actually makes an effort to see IMAX features or Hollywood IMAX'ed feature length films? I like both and with three IMAX screens in the DC area, I tend to see the documentaries intown (at the Museums) and less of the studio films. I have to go up to NYC or Pennsylvania to see those - a supposed fourth IMAX screen has been promised for the Washington DC area to showcase the Hollywood IMAX films).
Old 09-16-05, 03:00 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
I would love to watch all movies on a giant/IMAX screen but would not go alone and my friends are too big on seeing big. the movie i did convince them to catch on the giant screen (Edward's Giant screen in Irvine; that's not IMAX-sized, though, right?) was Return of the King.
Old 09-16-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
The only Hollywood movie I've seen on an IMAX screen was Fantasia 2000. I prefer standard theaters for feature films, but I do enjoy the IMAX documentaries.
Old 09-16-05, 03:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Damfino
The only Hollywood movie I've seen on an IMAX screen was Fantasia 2000. I prefer standard theaters for feature films, but I do enjoy the IMAX documentaries.
this year I saw "Charlie and The Chocolate Factory" and "Robots" in the IMAX format - I thoght "Charlie" was amazing on the IMAX screen.

I'm really stoked that two new 3D docu's open at the Air & Space and National History Museum next Friday (Sept 23rd):

Wild Safari: A South African Adventure (3D)
Magnificent Desolation: Walkling on the Moon (3D)
Old 09-16-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen Batman Begins, Matrix Reloaded, and Matrix Revolutions IMAX'ed, plus a few other non-IMAX movies that were played on the IMAX screen. I've also seen the Space Station 3D and Wolves documentaries. It's nice. I'd go more often, but it's kind of a drive to get to the nearest IMAX screen.
Old 09-16-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't.
Old 09-16-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rarely do. The only recent Imax film I saw was Polar Express, and I'd go again for a good 3D film like that. That was definatley worth it.

I'd probably go to Imax more, I wanted to see Charlie in Imax but the nearest Imax to me is the Universal Citywalk one and it's just not worth the effort of parking and all that jazz when there are some great theaters even closer to me. But if I have the opportunity, I do like going.
Old 09-16-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll see a movie on IMAX whenever possible. I do enjoy the documentaries, and most recently have seen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on IMAX and it looked great.
Definately worth the extra $1-2.
Old 09-16-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've only seen The Alamo in Imax (I happened to be visiting San Antonio last year). Wanted to see Batman Begins but couldn't get to the IMAX theater.
Old 09-16-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts
The IMAX in King of Prussia, PA is about 75 miles away. So far, I've seen there:
Matrix Reloaded
Matrix Revolutions
Spiderman-2 (twice)
Robots
Nascar 3D
Batman Begins
Polar Express.

There's probably another 2 or 3 that I can't think of right now. And, I've seen some of the other short films.

Basically, with the sound and picture, I am hooked. I want to go see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but am having a hard time justifying it with the gas prices of late. I will probably go back to see Polar Express. I was hoping ROTS was going to come to IMAX, I missed ep. 2.
Old 09-16-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
If I feel like going to city walk, I go. Been there a couple of times this year so far.
Old 09-17-05, 03:29 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

There's a wonderful IMAX 3D doc from Tom Hanks called MAGNIFICENT DESOLATION that's opening soon. It continues his reverence for the NASA space program. Great stuff.
Old 09-18-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i try to see the docs....i prefer the hollywood features at a standard theater though

i did see batman begins and polar express there though
Old 09-18-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm about 2 hours from the nearest IMAX theater to me, so getting a chance to go just doesn't happen.
Old 09-18-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
We get IMAX movies late (single theater @ education center).

Thus, I've seen Matrix Reloaded and Batman Begins.

Good stuff, I'd like to see other movies like that (though not all).
Old 09-18-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I see IMAX movies...but I generally go see the 30 to 40 minute docs and not the feature films, which I prefer to see on a regular movie screen. So, I basically just see the stuff intended for IMAX only.
Old 10-02-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

magnificent desolation is really cool.

HIGHLY recommended. but then again, I share Tom Hank's infatuation for the Apollo Space Program.
Old 10-02-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shackleford sounded good ... didn't see it, tho.
Old 10-02-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i do since theres one about 20 minutes from my house, I go to this theater for all my movies. its nice and clean, THX certified and the best popcorn in town, plus they have white cheedar salt that taste so so good.

I havent seen a 3-D movie in the IMAX yet though, How are they? How great is the 3-D effect?