Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Wilco: Kicking Television - Live in Chicago 2xCD - 11/1/05

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

from NME:

Wilco reveal details of double album
And frontman Jeff Tweedy is going to play a one-off UK show
US alt-country legends Wilco are to release a two-disc live CD later this year – and frontman Jeff Tweedy has announced details of a London show.

'Kicking Television - Live in Chicago' is out on on October 31. The album was recorded at the Vic Theatre in the band's hometown over four nights in May.

Included are songs spanning most of the Wilco back catalogue, plus a cover of Charles Wright's 'Comment' , which the band first performed live in December 2004.

Tracklisting:

CD1:
1. Misunderstood
2. Company In My Back
3. The Late Greats
4. Hell Is Chrome
5. Handshake Drugs
6. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
7. Shot in the Arm
8. At Least That's What You Said
9. Wishful Thinking
10. Jesus, Etc.
11. I'm The Man Who Loves You
12. Kicking Television

CD2:
1. Via Chicago
2. Hummingbird
3. Muzzle Of Bees
4. One By One
5. Airline To Heaven
6. Radio Cure
7. Ashes Of American Flags
8. Heavy Metal Drummer
9. Poor Places
10. Spiders (Kidsmoke)
11. Comment

_______

Good tracklist. This looks great.
Old 09-13-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I still have not managed to get into "Ghost is Born," maybe hearing live versions of the tunes will do it for me - they were great when I saw then in Portland in 2003.
Old 09-13-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I still have not managed to get into "Ghost is Born," maybe hearing live versions of the tunes will do it for me - they were great when I saw then in Portland in 2003.
IMO, "A Ghost Is Born" simply proves that a vast majority of "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" belongs to Jay Bennett. That album as a whole is probably their weakest effort to date.
Old 09-13-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by starseed1981
IMO, "A Ghost Is Born" simply proves that a vast majority of "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" belongs to Jay Bennett. That album as a whole is probably their weakest effort to date.
Nope. That honor belongs to their debut, A.M.. IMO.
Old 09-13-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by automator
Nope. That honor belongs to their debut, A.M.. IMO.
Actually, I think AM is quite a bit better than Ghost Is Born. Kicking Jay Bennett out of the band was the worst mistake Tweedy ever made.
Old 09-13-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Wilco sounds better as a band with their current lineup. As songwriters however, Jay Bennett was important. I do like Theologians, Wishul Thinking, and a few of the other gems that made it onto A Ghost is Born.
Old 09-13-05, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AGIB is great. I didn't think so when I first heard it but every time I listen to it it grows on me more and more. It's the perfect counterpart for YHF. Where YHF had a warm and fuzzy sound Ghost has a cold and precise sound to it. The album is a real grower and over time has grown to be probably my second favorite of theirs. It is a tremendous effort and one that I think is largely under appreciated.
Old 09-13-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

AGIB has some great songs but I think the album could have been made better with a different track order. The album feels a bit disjointed. But, it was the album that turned me on to Wilco.
Old 09-14-05, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also think A Ghost is Born is a great album. I'd say phenomenal. I can take or leave Spiders and the 10 minute noise segment always gets a skip. Hummingbird blew me away the first time I heard it. Didn't know Tweedy had it in him. He has SO transcended the old Wilco.

I don't think Jeff misses Jay at all.
Old 09-14-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, I'm pretty sure a live DVD is coming as well.
Old 10-13-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In other Wilco news, the band's forthcoming live album, Kicking Television - Live in Chicago has been pushed back to November 15. Our mamas always told us that patience was a virtue, so we advise you to hold your effin' horses, em-effers. The two-CD release is, of course, coming out thanks to our buddies over at Nonesuch.
Pushed back two weeks.
Old 10-15-05, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by CRM114
BTW, I'm pretty sure a live DVD is coming as well.
Anybody have any news on this one? I know Sam Jones had filmed the concert for a DVD release and I expected it to come out at the same time as the live CD. So far there has been no mention of when the DVD might see the light of day. Starting to get worried it's not going to happen. Somebody cheer me up because the CD will be cool, but what i really want is the DVD.
Old 10-15-05, 11:28 AM
drc
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by badger1997
Anybody have any news on this one? I know Sam Jones had filmed the concert for a DVD release and I expected it to come out at the same time as the live CD. So far there has been no mention of when the DVD might see the light of day. Starting to get worried it's not going to happen. Somebody cheer me up because the CD will be cool, but what i really want is the DVD.
I have some bad news for you. According to this guy over at Via Chicago, that at least for the near future, the DVD has been scrapped (more discussion in this thread).

Personally, I can't imagine the film elements would be so bad that they'd scrap the whole thing. I think it'll see the light of day sometime in the future but it appears it will be later rather than sooner.
Old 10-15-05, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
Actually, I think AM is quite a bit better than Ghost Is Born. Kicking Jay Bennett out of the band was the worst mistake Tweedy ever made.
funny, Jay Bennett appears on neither record.
Old 11-14-05, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pitchfork's Review
Old 11-15-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Anyone pick this up yet? I'm thinking about it
Old 11-15-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Picked this up at lunch. The first couple of songs sounded great.
Old 11-15-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm a huge Wilco fan but I have to admit, charging $20 for a double CD these days is a bit steep. The Ryan Adams CD that came out earlier this year was a double CD of all new material and its $12.99 or so (and excellent to boot). Double CDs aren't usually double the price these days. Not to mention, the hundreds of live gigs that are available for download...

That being said, I'm sure I'll pick it up if I find it at the right price. It was $20.99 at Circuit City and even the iTMS is charging $19.99.
Old 11-15-05, 05:20 PM

Best Buy is $14.99 this week.
Old 06-12-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just got this. It's excellent and worth checking out if you have even a passing interest in Wilco.

Speaking as a long time Wilco fan, the set list is killer even if it's missing a lot of the early alt-country stuff. All of my favorite songs are here. The band's playing is intense and tight and the sound quality simply couldn't be better. The new-ish guitarist is clearly his own man and more than up the task.

This is up there with the best live albums I've heard.
Old 06-12-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FrozenMetalHead
Best Buy is $14.99 this week.

Yourmusic.com now has this for $11.98.
Old 06-15-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Speaking as a long time Wilco fan, the set list is killer even if it's missing a lot of the early alt-country stuff. All of my favorite songs are here. The band's playing is intense and tight and the sound quality simply couldn't be better. The new-ish guitarist is clearly his own man and more than up the task.
Yep. Nels Cline's solo at the end of "Ashes" is one of my favorite Wilco moments, ever. Very pretty stuff.

And I wouldn't consider it "alt-country," but there are a couple of songs from the earlier days which were released as internet-exclusive bonus tracks: "Monday" is an iTunes exclusive, and "How to Fight Loneliness" is another one, available at musictoday.com.
Old 06-15-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by crooksha
I have some bad news for you. According to this guy over at Via Chicago, that at least for the near future, the DVD has been scrapped (more discussion in this thread).

Personally, I can't imagine the film elements would be so bad that they'd scrap the whole thing. I think it'll see the light of day sometime in the future but it appears it will be later rather than sooner.
It's not quite what we were hoping for last year, but Pitchfork is reporting that a Jeff Tweedy solo DVD is coming later this year:

Jeff Tweedy Preps Solo DVD

Kati Llewellyn reports:
Just over a year ago, Chicago Wilco fans spent four nights in a row watching the band perform at the Vic Theatre, ostensibly to be filmed for a future DVD release. Later, upon announcing that the footage shot at the gigs was not adequate for release, Jeff Tweedy and co. finally succeeded in trying to break our hearts, if only a little bit.

The live CD Kicking Television: Live in Chicago mended the hurt a little, but now comes news of an even better consolation prize: a Tweedy solo live DVD is coming out on Nonesuch later this year. Fugazi's Brendan Canty produced the Christoph Green-directed film (fact: the two also worked together on the Burn to Shine DVD series), which was shot on Tweedy's Northwest U.S. tour back in February.