Storing DVDs in spindles? Bad idea?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-11-05, 12:18 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to move across the country in a couple months. It is a pseudo-temporary move (2.5 years), so I am trying to bring only items that fit in my civic. As I have around 1,750 DVDs, that would exclude my collection. However, leaving my DVDs behind in storage makes me want to puke.

Thus, I was considering taking each disc out of its packaging and storing them in spindles. Is this a terrible idea? I definately don't want to damage the discs, so I am wondering about whether DVDs will hold up without damage in a spindle for ~2 years.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
Old 09-11-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
I would use a CaseLogic before just putting them on a spindle. Taking them on and off the spindle, trying to find the one movie you want, seems like a good way to scratch or drop them.

If you do go the CaseLogic route, keep in mind that they have a lifetime warranty. Buy a cheap broken one somewhere, and send it in for a brand new replacement, no receipt necessary. I've done it several times.
Old 09-11-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
Just don't put them in any kind of sleeve type thing. I don't see why keeping them on a spindle would be a problem, though as mndtrp stated finding them could be tough unless you have a good index. CD-R's and DVD-R's are shipped and sold this way and they look immaculate when I take them out.
Old 09-11-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I store all my DVD-R's that I've recorded in Spindles. YOu just have to make sure you now what DVD is on what Spindle, and pretty close to where in teh line the dvd you want is...