Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the Playstation this generation's NES?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had these thoughts in my mind for a bit and finally decided to start a thread about it. I'll probably rambling as I really don't know what my point is.

When I was growing up, when you thought of video games you thought Nintendo. Even when I tried to be so different from everyone else and own an SMS I had to admit that the Nintendo Entertainment System had all the good games. The NES pretty set all the expectations I would have for a home console. It had great characters and easily accessible gameplay. I pretty much see the NES and SNES-era as the golden age of videogaming.

But lately, I noticed there's a whole new generation of gamers whose expectations were shaped by the Playstation. They've always known things such as CD-based media, FMV, and controllers with 10+ buttons. They see the NES and SNES in pretty much the same light as we see past presidents such as Lincoln and Jefferson, important perhaps but relics relegated to a bygone era. I suppose I see these attitudes arise a lot of times from those who wish to see Nintendo go software-only and other discussions.

I'm not sure what my point is other than to ask, is the Playstation this generation's NES?

...and don't get me started on this whole internet business. Nowadays kids can get together with pretty much the entire world to discuss their videogame topics while when I was kid I was lucky to have 5 or so friends that were interested in those topics and all my information had to come from Nintendo Power.
Old 09-11-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I think so. I grew up on the Atari 2600 first and then the NES and the only console that compares to just how important those two were is the original Playstation. It was a major change in home gaming the same way the Atari and NES were.

The PS2 is just like the SNES, just an extension and improvement graphically of what the Playstation started.

The 3DO and Saturn tried to do what the Playstation did, but Sony was the company that started the 3D gaming revolution. The only negative in my mind was the fact they tried to completely kill off 2D which still has a place in gaming as anyone that has played a 3D Castlevania could tell you.
Old 09-11-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
No doubt.
Old 09-11-05, 11:33 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes. No question. And like Nintendo the Playstation will remain on top until they make some incredibly stupid business decision. Like when nintendo broke of the partnership with sony and then when with carts on the N64.
Old 09-11-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
And like Nintendo the Playstation will remain on top until they make some incredibly stupid business decision. Like when nintendo broke of the partnership with sony
Nintendo broke the deal with Sony after they discovered that Sony was developing the PlayStation in secret to be compatible with the CD format they and Nintendo had created.
Old 09-11-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess so, particularly for those who started out with a ps1 as their first console. For me, I was playing SMS instead of NES, Genesis instead of SNES, Lynx instead of GB. I even owned an N64 before I purchased a PS1.

According to wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars, the Genesis actually outsold the SNES in the US, so I imagine there are many fans out there with fond memories of Sega (pity about the 32x, saturn etc.).
Old 09-11-05, 08:47 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Nintendo broke the deal with Sony after they discovered that Sony was developing the PlayStation in secret to be compatible with the CD format they and Nintendo had created.
Really? I'd never heard that before. I was under the impression they decided they just didn't want to go with CDs as they wanted to keep using their proprietary carts and charging huge licensing fees.

Anyway, just remove that part and leave their big mistake as keeping the N64 cart based with high licensing fees thus driving all decent third party developers to the PSX.
Old 09-11-05, 10:20 PM

It was because of the deal with Phillips that Nintendo broke from Sony, it wasnt until after that deal break that PS came to light. Nintendo was wary to do addon due to the uneventful launch of Sega CD and 32x

Sony makes the same mistake by not including a HD with the system or even embracing the HD
Old 09-11-05, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I would say it is. I don't play it much anymore (actually play the NES and SNES a lot more), but it has a great lineup of games that are true classics. And they sold the hell out of them. I finally upgraded to one of the tiny ones.
Old 09-12-05, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm not sure what the OP is asking, but if it has to do with market share, Sony's systems have been nowhere near as dominant as the NES was.
Old 09-12-05, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just think: there's a whole generation of gamers who suck at everything other than racing, FPS and Madden. It cracks me up that the first version of Ninja Gaiden on Xbox and Contra: SS are/were considered difficult.
Old 09-12-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
I'm not sure what the OP is asking, but if it has to do with market share, Sony's systems have been nowhere near as dominant as the NES was.
Well, I don't really know what I was asking either other than to say "Kids today ".
Old 09-12-05, 10:56 AM
Retired

Well, it's this generation's NES in the since that when I was a kid everyone said "lets go play Nintendo" and now you hear the kids say "lets go play Playstation."

Actual market share isn't as dominant, but the brand name impact is nearly the same.
Old 09-12-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chris_D
According to wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars, the Genesis actually outsold the SNES in the US, so I imagine there are many fans out there with fond memories of Sega (pity about the 32x, saturn etc.).
I don't really buy that.
Old 09-12-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum
Just think: there's a whole generation of gamers who suck at everything other than racing, FPS and Madden. It cracks me up that the first version of Ninja Gaiden on Xbox and Contra: SS are/were considered difficult.
Hey! I grew up playing Atari, NES and SNES. I've beaten Battletoads.

And I thought Ninja Gaiden was hard on the Xbox
Old 09-12-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is the Playstation this generation's NES? Yes and no.

Is the Playstation a household name like the NES was? Yes, hell yes it was and still is.

Will the Playstation age like the NES? Fuck no. Generally, people who grew up with the Playstation did so because of the technology while people who grew up with the NES did so because of the games. 20 years from the release of the NES, the system and games are still loved and collected and cherished. 10 years from now, the Playstation kids will be playing the Playstation 5 and probably not even remember the Playstation 1.
Old 09-12-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Everyone always says how hard Contra was, but I don't remember it that way. I remember beating that game without dying once. Other games I found a lot harder, but the first Contra doesn't strike me that way. I should play it today, and see how I would do.
Old 09-12-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The original Contra isn't that hard.. the problem is that people used the 30 life code as a crutch, relied on that to beat the game and based their opinions on that fact. Because there was no need to build a skill to proceed through the game with the 30 life code when they try it without it they fall apart.
Old 09-12-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Everyone always says how hard Contra was, but I don't remember it that way. I remember beating that game without dying once. Other games I found a lot harder, but the first Contra doesn't strike me that way. I should play it today, and see how I would do.
Not dying once? I could only beat it without contiuing once. (with 30 lives of course)
Old 09-12-05, 02:54 PM

I did that with some of the mega man games, I can almost beat Mega Man X without getting hit, Ive only done it without dying
Old 09-12-05, 03:00 PM

I think the legacy of the NES is and will continue to be hampered by the fact that the damn thing stopped working so easily (the blinking problem). When I was a kid I didn't know how to "repair" my nintendo and there was no internet to order a 72 pin connector from. The last NES game I owned was Dragon Warrior IV and I couldn't enjoy it because my NES was hosed. The first good home system Nintendo put out was the SNES. By the time they had released it I already had a Genesis and so did lots of other folks. Nintendo is my favorite company of this generation but because of their mistakes they are third place in the console wars.
Old 09-12-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Without reading a single post yes.
Final Fantasy 7-9, Tekken 1-3, Super Puzzle Fighter, Metal Gear Solid and about a 5 year period where it was the shiznit.
Old 09-12-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
The original Contra isn't that hard.. the problem is that people used the 30 life code as a crutch, relied on that to beat the game and based their opinions on that fact. Because there was no need to build a skill to proceed through the game with the 30 life code when they try it without it they fall apart.
This man speaks the truth. Contra takes skill to finish the right way, but is not in the same league, difficulty-wise, as a Metal Slug 3.
Old 09-12-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wageslave
I think the legacy of the NES is and will continue to be hampered by the fact that the damn thing stopped working so easily (the blinking problem). When I was a kid I didn't know how to "repair" my nintendo and there was no internet to order a 72 pin connector from. The last NES game I owned was Dragon Warrior IV and I couldn't enjoy it because my NES was hosed. The first good home system Nintendo put out was the SNES. By the time they had released it I already had a Genesis and so did lots of other folks. Nintendo is my favorite company of this generation but because of their mistakes they are third place in the console wars.

I still like Nintendo best for the Zelda games, but they did have an issue with the cartridge machines. I skipped the SNES, but my N64 developed that dreaded problem starting up that the NES had. There's a whole generation of us who have honed a masterful technique for blowing into the cartridge without spitting.
Old 09-12-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Never really 'got' the NES at the time, crappy graphics, and sound, compared to the SMS which was more popular over here. Also I think we missed out on many big NES titles that never came over. A friend of mine did get lots of cool quirky nes games direct from japan including some fun anime style shooters (didn't even know what that was at the time). I remember there was a version of TMNT, 2 player scrolling fighter, which was a blast.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.