Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

You ever just get sick of the music listen to?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-10-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

First, I'm not saying any band, artist, etc...sucks so please don't take it that way.

Right now, I'm just sick of almost everything I've been listening to. I mainly own stuff from Queens of the stone age, Beck, White stripes, Black Keys, Nine Inch Nails....to name a few.

I don't know if this sounds weird but I was actually sitting around bored the other day watching tv and thinking about how music doesn't really 'stick' with me as much anymore. But with that said, one cd that I keep blasting is NIN's With Teeth (I mentioned earlier in the NIN thread that I constatnly keep listening to Sunspots and Only).

I find that everytime I go back to a qotsa cd that it I'm ejecting it after not even a few songs. The White Stripes hold well with me as well but I have not listened to them for months now either. Beck pretty much fits the same category as qotsa. I listen to the Black Keys "every now and then".

I own a lot more music but all the above mentioned bands are pretty much my top favorites (I left out Pearl Jam but only because everytime they release a new album, I find myself done with it after about a week).

I don't know if I've developed a serious case of add or ocd but I find myself always looking for something new or better (whether it's the bands I've loved for years or new bands/artisits).

I'm not into any one hit wonder or full blown mainstream bands either. I know a lot of people say that Beck & NIN are mainstream and please don't get me started on how they are not (but I will mention two things, Sea Change & well, NIN - does that help?)

Ever happen to you?
Old 09-10-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It is for this very reason that I own 900 CDs.

Variety.
Old 09-10-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I've been buying albums since 1975. I remember I used to get attached to an album for and entire summer and just live and breath that album. Nowadays it's hard to get that same feeling and devotion to any band or album. The digital music revolution has changed everything. Nowadays people get new songs every week and move on to a new band after a month or so.
Old 09-10-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you should be exploring other genres. Do you have any interests in jazz, Motown, experimental techno, alt. country, world music or any other genre? I've had a saying I've used for many years now that I think applies here- "People who listen Metallica don't bother me, it's the people who only listen to Metallica that do." (Yes, I know you didn't mention that band, but I'm making a point )

There's tons of uniquely interesting music out there- you've clearly already found some of it by the groups you've mentioned, now see what else is out there. Dabble a little in other areas, check out the bands and artist that your favorites were influenced by, see what you like and where you want to explore more. Try to expand your horizons, but don't give up on the music you're tired of today- in all likely hood you'll want to come back to it eventually.
Old 09-11-05, 01:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beck and NIN are mainstream, they are both on major labels and spend thousands on videos and tour large venues. Non mainstream bands don't headline MSG.

That's not to say I don't like both of them.

Maybe look into bands that influenced your favorite artist or bands they tour/toured with. I've found a lot of good bands by seeing them open for a band I liked or seeing them mentioned in an interview.
Old 09-11-05, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaza
Maybe look into bands that influenced your favorite artist or bands they tour/toured with. I've found a lot of good bands by seeing them open for a band I liked or seeing them mentioned in an interview.
I agree 100% here.

Also, utilize www.allmusic.com . It will give you info on your favorite bands, as well as who they are similar to, and has free samples.
Old 09-11-05, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by automator

Variety.
ditto.

sure i'm obsessed with a handfull of particular albums, but without a large, varied library, i'd get sick of 'em all.
Old 09-11-05, 09:38 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm not really sure this is about variety. I have hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of cds, every style, every genre, everything, but I often will get bored of them as well. All those cds, most of which you know are great, but nothing seems appealing. I think we all have these problems. We listen to a record, devour it, understand it completely, then are finished with it wishing that artist that we dig so much would get off their ass and put out a new album...a week after their last album came out. You just have to search for new music hoping to find your own next 'thing'. You know, the band that makes you say outloud "Where has this band been all my life?" Or "This might change my life." Listen to EVERYTHING at least once before judgeing it. Don't be afraid to dig something that is completely out of your NIN, QOTSA box. Most importantly, if you think it is total shit right off the bat, chances are it will be the record that you end up digging the most. The record that will challenge you the most, and make you devote more than five listens to it. Those are the ones that I always return to. Just start reading lists, other peoples suggestions and just start listening to clips and samples. W
Old 09-11-05, 10:00 AM

http://pandora.com/

I just found out about this site. It streams music it thinks you'll like based on an artist you give it. You then vote up or down based on what you think of the track and it'll modify the next songs it picks based on that. It's free to check out for 10 hours. After that it's $36 to sign up for a year of service. They've got 10,000 artists and 300,000 songs. Maybe something you hear there will get you out of your slump.
Old 09-11-05, 10:47 AM
Retired

As a whole no. I can always find something to listen to in my collection

But I do get sick of certain bands and albums after a while and have to put them on the shelf.
Old 09-11-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts
Variety wouldn't solve the problem for me. My taste also varies greatly and I know what I like. Basically, I've been alive long enough to know what I'm in to

Thanks for posting the links, maybe they'll come in handy.

Once again, It's not like this has never happened to me before, it's just that it's never happened for this long.

I'm about to go pick up Morphine's greatest hits cd in a little bit and I have a feeling I'll be browsing around the store for a while

I also agree with checking out the artists that inspired the music I mainly listened to.......It's something I've always done.
Old 09-11-05, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tscott

I just found out about this site. It streams music it thinks you'll like based on an artist you give it. You then vote up or down based on what you think of the track and it'll modify the next songs it picks based on that. It's free to check out for 10 hours. After that it's $36 to sign up for a year of service. They've got 10,000 artists and 300,000 songs. Maybe something you hear there will get you out of your slump.
thanks for that link! i know i'll be using that for at least 10 hours...
Old 09-11-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not usually.

But if I hear "Holiday" by Green Day one more time, I may be picking people off with a long-range rifle from the belltower shortly thereafter.
Old 09-11-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
Originally Posted by automator

Variety.

I agreed...until I got XM. Now I don't listen to half of my large CD collection.

Get XM, no commercials & you never get bored.
Old 09-11-05, 07:36 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tscott

Awesome, thanks!
Old 10-15-05, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobbin
Awesome, thanks!
Cool service. Slicker than Yahoo Music (Launch). I wonder how well it does with recommendations. I guess I'll see.