Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

John Fogerty The Long Road Home (career retrospective) due 11/1

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

John Fogerty The Long Road Home (career retrospective) due 11/1

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Full story: http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/ar..._id=1001095770
Although his bitter legal battles with Fantasy Records are the stuff of music business legend, John Fogerty has signed a new deal with the label. Fantasy, which issued the entire recorded output of the Fogerty-led Creedence Clearwater Revival in the late 1960s and early '70s, was purchased in November 2004 by the Concord Music Group.

In celebration of the reunion, Fantasy will on Nov. 1 issue the first Fogerty career retrospective, "The Long Road Home." Featuring 25 tracks, "The Long Road Home" will mix CCR classics with solo material, including live renditions of "Hey Tonight," "Bootleg," "Keep on Chooglin'" and "Fortunate Son" recorded while on tour earlier this year.

"I've always wanted to create a greatest hits collection that represented my entire career, but it was always painfully impossible to do so," Fogerty says. "Now I can combine the Creedence songs, all of which I wrote, with my solo material. It's great that I can finally document the various changes I've gone through musically over the years without having to follow any artificial lines."

Fogerty only recently began performing CCR songs again. During last year's pre-election Vote for Change tour, he played several each night, backed by Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band.

Here is "The Long Road Home" track list:
"Born on the Bayou"
"Bad Moon Rising"
"Centerfield"
"Who'll Stop the Rain"
"Rambunctious Boy"
"Fortunate Son"
"Lookin' Out My Back Door"
"Up Around the Bend"
"Almost Saturday Night" (live)
"Down on the Corner"
"Bootleg" (live)
"Have You Ever Seen the Rain?"
"Sweet Hitch-Hiker"
"Hey Tonight" (live)
"The Old Man Down the Road"
"Rockin' All Over the World" (live)
"Lodi"
"Keep On Chooglin'" (live)
"Green River"
"Deja Vu (All Over Again)"
"Run Through the Jungle"
"Hot Rod Heart"
"Travelin' Band"
"Proud Mary"
"Fortunate Son" (live)

Last edited by bigjim25; 09-21-05 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-10-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts
Saw him last week at Mandalay Bay. Great live show, lots of CCR. Hard to believe that he's okayed a compilation like this, but I'm SO gettin' it. Awesome!

Normally I don't like when songs appear more than once, but if it's "Fortunate Son", I'll certainly let it slide. I've often wondered how hard it must be for him to resist the temptation to write a new verse. God it would be easy...
Old 09-10-05, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Saw him last week at Mandalay Bay. Great live show, lots of CCR.
I saw him in June and was totally blown away. I had no idea he'd have that much energy. I honestly doubt he was that much better 30 years ago.
Old 09-10-05, 09:30 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by bigjim25
Fogerty only recently began performing CCR songs again. During last year's pre-election Vote for Change tour, he played several each night, backed by Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band.
That's not really true. Unless they consider 1998 recently. He was playing CCR stuff then on his Premonition tour. The Premonition DVD has some CCR on it as well.
Old 09-10-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I saw him in June and was totally blown away. I had no idea he'd have that much energy. I honestly doubt he was that much better 30 years ago.
I saw him in July and he was fantastic. Can't wait to see the new live dvd.
Old 09-11-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dubya
I saw him in July and he was fantastic. Can't wait to see the new live dvd.
I hadn't heard about the new DVD. I'll be buying that for sure. I'm heading off to Google the release date.
Old 09-11-05, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nazz
I hadn't heard about the new DVD. I'll be buying that for sure. I'm heading off to Google the release date.
It won't be released until next year. Here is the part of the article that mentions it...

In celebration of the reunion, Fantasy will on Nov. 1 issue the first Fogerty career retrospective, "The Long Road Home." A live DVD, to be recorded Thursday (Sept. 15) at Los Angeles' Wiltern Theater, will be released early next year. A new solo studio album and other projects are also in development.
Old 09-11-05, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dubya
It won't be released until next year. Here is the part of the article that mentions it...

In celebration of the reunion, Fantasy will on Nov. 1 issue the first Fogerty career retrospective, "The Long Road Home." A live DVD, to be recorded Thursday (Sept. 15) at Los Angeles' Wiltern Theater, will be released early next year. A new solo studio album and other projects are also in development.
Thanks again for the info. With it being recorded this week it should really add some additional meaning to it and the Wiltern is a wonderful choice of venue.
Old 09-12-05, 10:54 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
I saw him a couple years back and he put on a great show. Will definitely be picking this up!
Old 09-12-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, that's interesting news. I wonder how the rest of CCR feels about this after being snubbed so long (but don't get me wrong, I'm with Fogerty on the debate side).
Old 09-21-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Added cover pic!
Old 10-24-05, 05:36 PM

Here's a cool article about the upcoming album. I guess the feud is really over at last!
--------------------

Fogerty makes peace with record company
His long feud with Fantasy Records comes to an end with new album

The Associated Press
Updated: 6:25 p.m. ET Oct. 24, 2005

NEW YORK - John Fogerty is back on Fantasy Records.

Most music fans would gloss over such a small detail, but for years that simple statement was about as realistic as Neil Armstrong flying back to the moon.

When the California-based record label was sold last year, it ended one of the most famously contentious artist-management relationships in music, freeing the former Creedence Clearwater Revival frontman to return to the company that distributed his most famous work.

Their first project together, “The Long Road Home: The Ultimate John Fogerty-Creedence Collection,” is a 25-song disc that pulls together his old band’s hits with Fogerty’s solo material, up to the anti-Iraq war song “Deja Vu (All Over Again).” (It’s being released Nov. 1.)

“There’s no way to overstate how cool this is,” said Fogerty.

In an almost impossibly productive period (1968-71) Creedence churned out concise, often socially conscious rock hits like “Proud Mary,” “Bad Moon Rising,” “Down on the Corner,” “Who’ll Stop the Rain” and “Green River.” That burst of work alone earned Creedence induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and Fogerty wrote and sang them all.

Yet Fogerty, now 60, spent years without performing those songs because of bitterness over his feud with former Fantasy owner Saul Zaentz dating to Creedence’s messy breakup in the early 1970s.

Long feud comes to an end
Their bickering kept generations of lawyers fed. Fogerty spent years as a recluse, and his 1985 comeback album contained thinly disguised contempt in “Mr. Greed” and “Vanz Kant Danz” (renamed from “Zanz Can’t Dance” after, of course, a lawsuit).

Zaentz unsuccessfully sued Fogerty, claiming the songwriter had plagiarized himself because the comeback hit “The Old Man Down the Road” sounded too much like Creedence’s “Run Through the Jungle.”

The fight became heartbreakingly personal when Fogerty’s older brother Tom, also a former Creedence member, took Zaentz’s side. The brothers were estranged at Tom’s death in 1990.

The years of court time had taken such a toll that Adam Sweeting, a writer for The Guardian, wrote about Fogerty in 2000 that “it remains to be seen whether he will be remembered for his music or his lawsuits.”

That’s why seeing Fogerty’s name willingly associated with a Fantasy product is so startling.

After the Concord Music Group, partly owned by legendary TV producer Norman Lear, bought Fantasy, Fogerty asked for a meeting with the new leadership. He came away feeling they respected him and his music. It also didn’t hurt that Concord restored Fogerty’s rights to royalties, which he had signed away decades ago to escape Fantasy.

‘A very, very happy, wonderful time’
They asked for Fogerty’s opinion on decisions about how his old music would be used, which had never happened since his split with Zaentz.

“It’s turned out to be, for me, a very, very happy, wonderful time in my life and career,” he said. “Even a year ago I could not have envisioned this. The most happy thing is that I am reconnected with the music I made on Fantasy Records all those years ago, that I had basically been cut off from financially and emotionally for a long, long time.”

He has also recorded a DVD that will be released sometime next year, and hopes to make new music for Fantasy soon after.

Most of Creedence’s biggest hits appear in their original form on “The Long Road Home,” but he replaces a handful of older songs with live versions recorded recently.

“Keep On Chooglin”’ was replaced because Fogerty feels it is a substantially different song now than when he wrote it. He went with the live version of “Fortunate Son” because it’s “a white-hot dose of energy,” he said.

The toughest call was the live version of “Hey Tonight,” which is primarily different because he did all the background vocals himself in the original version.

His current good feelings don’t extend to Stu Cook and Doug Clifford, Creedence’s other surviving members, whom Fogerty also sued for performing under the banner of Creedence Clearwater Revisited.

He compared them to a rattlesnake.

“They bit me very badly in the same way that the old folks at Fantasy did,” he said. “That hasn’t changed, so I will continue to give them a very wide berth.”

© 2005 The Associated Press
Old 10-25-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very interesting article.. I was wondering what would have caused him to go back! Good to see he's getting his due from the label after all these years.
Old 10-28-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't know anywhere else, but I saw this in the Meijer ad for something like $9.98. Pretty good price, I wonder if anyone'll beat it?
Old 10-30-05, 09:31 PM

Heads up! It's out on Tuesday. Pick it up along with Ep 3. Best price is $9.98 at Target. I guess it's all on one disc, but it's hard to imagine how all 25 traacks fit there. Must be right at 76 minutes.
Old 10-30-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts
Live "Fortunate Son"? Shit. Looks like this isn't a replacement for Chronicle after all.
Old 10-31-05, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Live "Fortunate Son"? Shit. Looks like this isn't a replacement for Chronicle after all.
Original and live versions. As I've posted, it's become his fiery signature song, courtesy of "W".
Old 10-31-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts
Oops, I'm an idiot. My eyes went to the live version in the tracklisting and I didn't even bother to check for it being a repeat. D'oh!
Old 11-03-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So has anyone picked this up yet? I've been too busy moving to, just wondering any thoughts on it!
Old 11-03-05, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by reverie
So has anyone picked this up yet? I've been too busy moving to, just wondering any thoughts on it!
I like it. It's a full 77 minutes long. Some of the live stuff isn't that great (though the final live song, Forunate Son certainly is). The sound quality is good. Liner notes aren't very detailed, but they have a nice brief bio of Fogerty. I hate those digipac cases, though -- they're flimsey and won't stay closed. For the life of me I'll never understand why anyone would use those instead of a jewel case.

But overall, it's a great set and for $9.99, it's a major bargain.