Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Velvet (Victoria, B.C. band)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sooo, this past weekend I was in Victoria B.C., and on recommendation from a couple of locals, I went to see a band called Velvet, they play ever Sunday night at a pub called Steamer's. Awesome, awesome band, and it's made me completely rethink my formerly-narrow music tastes!

I'm posting for two reasons: one, has anyone else ever heard this band? I'm looking for other fans! If you want to check them out, they have a bunch of live-recordings on iTunes (just titled things like "Victoria B.C." and a date they were recorded... the one that's 8/4/02 is my favorite so far, but I haven't listened to all of them as I just discovered they were on iTunes last night. Plus, the recordings absolutely don't begin to do them justice.

Reason two is, I went back the next day to buy a CD (because we left before I had a chance to buy one Sunday night), and the lead singer/songwriter was there, at Steamer's. Very, very nice guy called Kuba, who gave me his website info, from which I see he has a solo CD coming out soon. You can play his stuff on his website, but not download it, which is unfortunate as I LOVE his stuff!

His website is www.Kuba.ca (.ca because it's Canada...), can some of you more music-savvy types please listen to his music and make any recommendations of other artists I might like? I really like his music, and want to open up to listening to other artists I've probably missed or overlooked. Thanks!!
Old 09-08-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

interested... what kind of music? there are tons ov bands named "velvet" so i can't find exactly which one you're talking about.
Old 09-09-05, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally Posted by shoppingbear
If you want to check them out, they have a bunch of live-recordings on iTunes (just titled things like "Victoria B.C." and a date they were recorded... the one that's 8/4/02 is my favorite so far...

His website is www.Kuba.ca (.ca because it's Canada...), can some of you more music-savvy types please listen to his music and make any recommendations of other artists I might like?
Just look for the albums titled Victoria B.C. (as in, Victoria, British Columbia), there are only a few bands whose name is just Velvet (not "Velvet Underground", not "Velvet Revolver", etc), and you're looking for the ones whose albums are named Victoria B.C. and a date.

Or, preferrably, go straight to Kuba's site at www.Kuba.ca and listen to the songs there by clicking on the song names in the middle of the page.

Thanks in advance for the help!