Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Von Trier's MANDERLAY coming in December

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-08-05, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to Electric Parc's website, a 2-disc special edition of Lars von Trier's MANDERLAY is due out in Denmark in December. The DVD will be in 16:9, and contain a 5.1 DD soundtrack. Disc 1 will contain trailers as well as a commentary track by von Trier. Danish subtitles will be included for the main feature. Disc 2 will include the "making of" documentary "The Road to Manderlay." Also included will be a Cannes featurette, interviews, poster artwork, production design featurette, and a visual effects featurette. The running time for the bonus disc is 3 hours 20 minutes. English subtitles will be included for the Danish language bonus features.

This information can be found at www.electricparc.com.
Old 09-08-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I am certainly interested in seeing the film...owning it...not quite so sure at this point. Great news though....sounds like a solid package.

Pro-B
Old 09-08-05, 02:22 PM

I'll definitely be getting it. Lars von Trier never ceases to amaze me. Breaking the Waves, Dancer in the Dark, and Dogville rank among my all time favorite films. This is definitely one of my most anticipated releases of the year.
Old 09-08-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Same here. I just picked up the Electric Parc "Hypnotic Edition" of the Europa trilogy, and it's fantastic. Likewise the Danish edition of "Dogville" (not sure if it's Electric Parc). In fact, all my von Trier discs except "Dancer in the Dark" are Danish (the Europa Trilogy, Riget I-II, Dogville, Breaking the Waves).

Has there ever been an acceptable version of "The Idiots"? You know, in the correct 1.33:1 aspect ratio and without big censorious blocks or huge sections cut right out of it? I recall reading here about a "Dogme 95 boxset" coming out, and while I like Vinterberg's flick very much, I'm really mostly interested in "The Idiots".
Old 09-08-05, 02:41 PM

Electric Parc's website doesn't state if the Dogme films will be available individually or only as part of the box set. However, if their previous releases are any indication, I can only assume that the upcoming release will be the definitive version of The Idiots.

By the way, Electric Parc did produce the Danish 2-disc releases of Dogville and Breaking the Waves.

Last edited by bjackson; 09-08-05 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-08-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The Dogme set is something that I will own. Manderlay however as I stated above...not quite so sure. I thought that Dogville was excellent but will be honest with you-I certainly think that there is only so much that he could push the envelope with, so to speak. I am curious to see how much more he can strip traditional cinema from...without being uttely egocentric (I believe that he is one of the most original directors working nowadays, but he is walking the fine line that Godard did with his films back in the late 80s early 90s...as a result even his hardcore fans are having a hard time assessing some of his latest films). With Trier, I think there will be much more to be seen in the future esp. given the fact that he is so outspoken in terms of politics, social relationships, etc. As I said...owning the film will be decided after I see it....

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 09-08-05 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-10-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has there ever been an acceptable version of "The Idiots"? You know, in the correct 1.33:1 aspect ratio and without big censorious blocks or huge sections cut right out of it?
I assume you're looking for English subtitles, in which case the only one that might fit the bill is the Canadian release from Alliance/Universal. According to pre-release info, it's uncensored and 1.33:1, but I guess nobody ever actually bought it since I can find no first-hand confirmation of this anywhere on the web.
Old 09-12-05, 11:27 AM

i'd like to see it for myself

Maybe I'm being stupid, but I can't seem to find the information on the electricparc.com website. Would someone post a direct link, or describe how to get to it?

Any word yet on about how much this is going to cost (Kroners, Dollars, whatever)? I checked around on some .dk e-tailer sites and I couldn't find anything but a picture of the poster.

I know it is probably too soon to know anything, but this, like Dogville, is obviously going to be available on DVD well before a midwestern US theatrical release.

thanks.

Last edited by alsoknownasx; 09-12-05 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-12-05, 12:43 PM
Cool New Member

Manderlay is being released in region-5 in October. It will most likely be barebones though.
Old 09-12-05, 03:53 PM

At electricparc.com, click "DVD" on the side menu. Then click "In Production" at the bottom menu that appears. Manderlay is listed among all of the DVD's that are currently in production. Click on "Manderlay" and all of the specs will appear.
Old 09-13-05, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet. Can't wait to see this. Absolutely LOVED Dogville. Will try to pick this up.
Old 10-09-05, 08:42 AM

UPDATE: The DVD will be released in Denmark on December 8.
Old 10-09-05, 12:22 PM

I hope it's better than the unwatchable Dogville!

A shout out though to the absolutely fantastic European boxset featuring Europa. I know the film is a masterpiece but I saw new depth with this flawless transfer.

Magnificent.
Old 10-11-05, 09:43 AM

So the Russian version of the DVD is out! Just letting everyone know!
Old 10-13-05, 02:40 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by splattii
So the Russian version of the DVD is out! Just letting everyone know!

No removable subs.
Old 10-14-05, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by scott shelton
No removable subs.
Well I had already ordered mine when I read you post, but luckily I found a way to remove the sub's! You can't remove the russian sub's with the remote's sub button. You have to use the main menu, and the chapter menu. lol. Go to the third option from the left. Once in there, go to the last option on the bottom (of the options in the middle) and hit enter. Hit enter again to get back to the main menu and go into the chapter menu, which is second from the left. Pick chapter one (lol...obvious?) and the movie won't have subs. If you use the first option (leftmost) on the main menu at all, it will force the sub's. I played the entire intro part again where they're showing the movement on the map etc... and the subs were gone. I let it play for 2 minutes or so and it seemed fine. I skipped a chapter, same deal. I'm going to try to watch this film on the weekend now.

Reading this back it almost reads like a Nintendo cheat. haha

Last edited by splattii2; 10-14-05 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-17-05, 08:36 AM

quick FYI. This doesn't seem to work on all DVD players (the workaround). I was able to make it work on mine, however my friends dvd player seemed to have an issue removing the sub's with English Audio playing. I have no idea why, but I thought I'd let people know before they get upset. I also tried it on a third player, and the sub removale also worked. It now seems removing the sub's is hit or miss. I appologize for any confusion. I should have tested it across multiple machines, not just my own.
Old 10-19-05, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by splattii
quick FYI. This doesn't seem to work on all DVD players (the workaround).
What is the make and model of the dvd player(s) that it worked on? Just curious.
Old 10-27-05, 11:37 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by splattii2
Well I had already ordered mine when I read you post, but luckily I found a way to remove the sub's! You can't remove the russian sub's with the remote's sub button. You have to use the main menu, and the chapter menu. lol. Go to the third option from the left. Once in there, go to the last option on the bottom (of the options in the middle) and hit enter. Hit enter again to get back to the main menu and go into the chapter menu, which is second from the left. Pick chapter one (lol...obvious?) and the movie won't have subs. If you use the first option (leftmost) on the main menu at all, it will force the sub's. I played the entire intro part again where they're showing the movement on the map etc... and the subs were gone. I let it play for 2 minutes or so and it seemed fine. I skipped a chapter, same deal. I'm going to try to watch this film on the weekend now.

Reading this back it almost reads like a Nintendo cheat. haha

This worked wonderfully. Thanks!
Old 10-27-05, 11:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm seeing a 35mm print on Friday night - can't wait to see this.
Old 10-27-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Giles
I'm seeing a 35mm print on Friday night - can't wait to see this.
Is that down at UVA Giles? I'll be there too.
Old 10-27-05, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by reefa
yup!
Old 11-01-05, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by reefa

and... ?! what did you think? I liked it immensly.
Old 11-01-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Giles
and... ?! what did you think? I liked it immensly.
Well, at least I know what we'll disagree on .

I blogged on it for a site I write reviews for, but in a nutshell, I thought the references were obvious and the performances were hollow. Dogville was the better of the two films IMO. Don't get me wrong, I'll be interested to see what Washington looks like, I was just a little disappointed in this.

And having said all that, I'd probably still by this when it comes out, depending on bonus material.
Old 11-10-05, 07:05 PM

FYI: Manderlay is now available for preorder at Laserdisken.dk. Including shipping to the US, the price came to about $32.00.

http://www.laserdisken.dk/html/visva...13826383200989

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.