Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"Man With the Screaming Brain" on SciFi 09-10-05

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-05, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Man With the Screaming Brain" on SciFi 09-10-05

"If I were pitching it in Hollywood," says Bruce Campbell on his official website, "I'd say it's 'The Out-of-Towners' with a brain transplant."
Campbell is referring to his new movie, "Man With the Screaming Brain," which he stars in, produced, wrote and directed, premiering Saturday, Sept. 10, on Sci Fi Channel.

Also being released in a four-part comic-book version by Dark Horse Comics, "Man With the Screaming Brain" features Campbell as wealthy industrialist William Cole, who travels to Eastern Europe in search of a tax shelter and winds up the guinea pig of a mad scientist (Stacy Keach), who merges his brain with that of taxi driver and former KGB operative Yegor (Vladimir Kolev). The two then set out to find the woman (Tamara Gorski) who killed them both.

Some fans of Campbell's are getting to see a sneak preview of the film, along with getting signed copies of his latest book, "Making Love the Bruce Campbell Way."

"It totally sounds like an advice book," Campbell says, "but there's not a shred of advice in the entire book, which is good for any of your readers. It's a novel. It's a humor book. It's sort of a what-if scenario of what would happen if you took a B-movie actor, meaning me -- I take the lead role in the book -- and put him into a big Hollywood movie. The answer is that it's not good. It's a misadventure. I single-handedly take down a big Hollywood movie."

Asked if this is something he's fantasized about, Campbell says, "Yeah, in a way." But has he ever achieved it? "I'll never tell."

Of course, in "Screaming Brain," Campbell is put in charge of the whole moviemaking process, with predictably bizarre results.

"It was written by a lunatic," Campbell says. "It's a quirky movie that you won't see on an airplane."

Apparently, the movie wasn't originally set in Eastern Europe, but that all changed because of where Sci Fi Channel wanted to film.

"Bulgaria," Campbell says, "that's where Sci Fi Channel does their movies now. As an independent filmmaker, I take it upon myself to tap-dance whenever I have to. If that's where Sci Fi is shooting, it doesn't mean it's necessarily good for your story. My story was originally set in East L.A. I said, 'Hey, guys, who's going to play the Latinos -- the gypsies of Eastern Europe? How's that going to work?'

"So I convinced them to let me rewrite it for Bulgaria. This was really a fish-out-of-water story either way, and this just made it even weirder."

Filming in Bulgaria posed production challenges, not just language barriers, but basic cultural issues. "The Bulgarians are incredibly hard workers," Campbell says, "but because there's a DNA chip still of communism that has to be worked out of their system, they wait to be told what to do.

"They won't look at my shot list and go, 'Hey, shot number six says it's using a scaffold, let's put the scaffold up.' You have to go, 'Put the scaffold up.' They go, 'Da,' and they put it up."

Despite overcoming all these obstacles, Campbell wasn't expecting stellar reviews -- and he wasn't disappointed.

"The basic reviews I've been getting for 'Screaming Brain' are, 'It's a lot of fun for a piece of crap,' or 'For a dumbass movie with no value, it's not bad.' I've gotten a series of backhanded reviews.

"It's a loopy movie, and the weird thing is, if you call your movie 'Man With the Screaming Brain,' nobody's going to take it seriously anyway. It's 88 minutes. It doesn't take too much of anyone's time, so I'm OK with it."

Campbell's current combo tour also gives him a chance to hold forth on a favorite subject -- the lack of respect for his beloved B-movies.

"I'm both on a movie tour and a book tour," Campbell says. "It's a 40-city blitz. We're doing book signings at movie theaters. It's a favorite pastime of mine to do a little Q&A session before I introduce the movie. I go on a rant, basically. People love making fun of B-movies because they're cheeseball, the acting's not so good, the writing sucks, the directors don't know what they're doing. But the interesting thing is, all the A-movies are now B-movies.

"If you're bitten by a radioactive spider, it's a B-movie. If you dress up like a bat and fly around Gotham City -- sorry, that's a B-movie. Tom Cruise can jump up and down on Oprah's couch all he wants, he's starring in a B-movie this summer. When aliens invade the Earth, that's a B-movie. Sorry, folks.

"And as far as fresh ideas, there are plenty of terrible B-movies, but they're the only Petri dish for original ideas. This summer's lineup has been a spectacular dud, if you want my opinion. 'War of the Worlds' is from 1898. You've got the same with 'Dukes of Hazzard' and 'The Honeymooners.' My entire childhood is coming back to haunt me."

Should be good for a few laughs.
Old 09-08-05, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
I seriously dig Bruce, and I will be watching this with guests and plenty of booze (it's my birthday and I can blow it watching cheesy SF if I want to).
Old 09-08-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 09-08-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-08-05, 09:07 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Sounds awesome!
Old 09-08-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a huge Bruce Campbell and I saw this movie during it's limited theater screening while Bruce was doing his book tour. Bruce himself even showed up at the theater to do a Q&A session before the film started. That being said, this is simply one of the most movies you will ever see. I don't think there is a single thing I can praise about this film. Campbell must've been drunk when he wrote and directed this piece of shit. It takes too long to get the movie rolling. The beginning is so goddamn boring and Ted Raimi is so unfunny that I wanted to choke on my popcorn. Skip this garbage.
Old 09-08-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will definitely be watching this...garbage or not. I always enjoy Campbells movies and this one is sure to rank up (or down) there with the rest of them I hope.
Old 09-08-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"It's 88 minutes. It doesn't take too much of anyone's time."

I think we have the blurb for the front of the eventual DVD release right here!
Old 09-08-05, 02:19 PM

Of course it's a "bad" movie. It's premiering on the Sci-Fi channel, what do you expect? I also saw this during its limited theater run (with Bruce Campbell) but I personally think it's worth watching. Granted, if I watched it alone not knowing much about it... I doubt I'd get past the first ten minutes. The atmosphere I watched it in helped greatly (since, well, every single one of the people there was probably a die hard Bruce Campbell fan). But get together with a few people, grab some food and beer and prepare to laugh your ass off.
Old 09-08-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Man, it looks like he's gained some weight from that picture.
Old 09-10-05, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I kinda liked it. Granted it was totally moronic, but kinda fun to watch.
Old 09-11-05, 06:13 AM

SHIT!! Totally forgot about this one! Anyone know when Sci-Fi will repeat this?
Old 09-11-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought this movie was very bad, and not in the good way. To give some perpspective, I though other recent Sc-Fi films like Alien Apocalypse, and Pterodactyl were better than this.
Old 09-11-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The set up was way too long. It felt like an hour until the Brain stuff started happening. And when it did, it was the same joke over and over. "I want to do x...no I want to do y!"

Alien Apocalypse was a much better movie.

D
Old 09-11-05, 07:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
I thought this movie was very bad, and not in the good way. To give some perpspective, I though other recent Sc-Fi films like Alien Apocalypse, and Pterodactyl were better than this.
Worse than Alien Apocalypse? Is that Possible? The SciFi channel aired Bruce Campbell movies all day yesterday and the only two I could bring myself to sit through were Army of Darkness and Man with the Screaming Brain. I thought it was OK at best, I wouldn't buy the DVD.

Last edited by T.Bickle; 09-11-05 at 08:03 PM.