Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Need assistance authenticating a copy of Hard Boiled

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-05, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need assistance authenticating a copy of Hard Boiled

I've searched all the resources, checked out all the guides, and pulled up all the pictures of authentic copies I can find.

Still I have yet to satisfy myself 100%

it didn't come cheap and it did come from a reputable seller, a DVD Talk Gold Trader no less, however I have my doubts. I don't believe I was intentionally sold a bootleg but I'd like confirmation one way or the other as I will not tolerate a bootleg in my collection. For starters the "Nimbus" logo on the bottom of the disc is done in a much more traditional script than what I've seen with my other discs such as Salo and similar, older, titles. As well there is no barcode on the inner ring of the disc. I was led to believe that the only bootleg version of the film had the "Criterion" logo, on the disc itself, framed in gray instead of black as with the authentic copies. Obviously this one is black so that would seal the deal on its authenticity but I've also heard rumors of a high quality Hard Boiled bootleg that hit not too long ago and has since driven the price down considerably.

On top of that I popped the disc in my PC with DVD Profiler running however it didn't recognize the disc. But on the flipside I use a software management program on my Mac called Delicious Monster. With this software you use a barcode scanner to enter titles in to your collection and this data is pulled directly from Amazons database. When I scanned this one it came up as it should. Unfortunately, or fortunately I guess, I don't have any bootlegs in which to see if their barcodes actually work or not so this could be nothing.

Photobucket resized all my scans but they are still usable. Any thoughts or comments from owners or fellow Criterion aficionados would be appreciated.

Here is an image pulled from the bottom of an authentic version of Hard Boiled for comparison to the one in question.....

Old 09-07-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Doesn't look good imo. I think the disc I saw has at least barcode on its center ring. I'm not sure about the nimbus logo - I only saw them on a few criterion discs.
Old 09-07-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The nimbus logo is a very good sign of it being the real thing(Hard Boiled and The Killer). I agree with eedoon, it doesn't look good.

Last edited by Lemdog; 09-07-05 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-07-05, 02:01 PM

Well it has the Nimbus logo albeit not the traditional one (that was a bad scan but you can make it out on the right side of the reflective ring on the second picture).

I'm just wondering if anyone has every seen an authentic Criterion in which the Nimbus logo wasn't in the typical "strange" italic font. Personally I haven't seen any but I guess it's possible, given the seller I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt before writing it off as a bootleg (as they insist it's authentic and was purchased before the bootlegs hit the scene) and returning it.

Last edited by JohnnyDrama2006; 09-07-05 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-07-05, 02:40 PM

Interesting..., Now I would like to add to the confusion

I bought mine off Ebay (around 2000) and always though it was the original ..., but now I am not so sure .

http://img196.imageshack.us/my.php?i...boiled13rg.jpg

http://img196.imageshack.us/my.php?i...boiled22eh.jpg

Mod note: Links to ebay auctions are not allowed

In fact I am selling mine off ( along with other OOP criterions ) and I have been bombarded with questions about the authenticity of my Hard Boiled DVD . The only aspect of the DVD that is helping me think its authentic is that i got it during the "early" period and thats it

I don’t want to sell anyone bootleg DVD and hence more insight into identifying a bootleg copy of Criterion's Hard Boiled DVD is really appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by nemein; 09-07-05 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-07-05, 02:58 PM

Very strange indeed. It appears we certainly have identical copies. Hopefully someone will be able to provide a definite confirmation one way or the other. I sent a letter to Jon Mulvaney last night in regards to the disc so if and when he gets back to me I'll be sure to report his opinion on the matter.

However I'm thinking that if you purchased in 2000 there is at least a chance it's an authentic disc. If I'm not mistaken, from my findings searching various forums, it appears that the "excellent" bootleg that has driven down the value of Hard Boiled over the past year or so didn't come on to the scene before 2004 at the earliest.

The older, and by older I don't have any dates, bootlegs were supposedly extremely easy to spot as they had numerous flaws, the most apparant being the Criterion logo on the disc being done in grey.

Very confusing
Old 09-07-05, 03:40 PM

I bought mine at a Media Play back in December of 99. The center ring of the disc has a mirror finish on both sides. The one shown in the first post has a clear one. The bottom of the disc looks exactly like the one shown at the very bottom of the first post.

Last edited by Leechboy; 09-07-05 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-07-05, 03:43 PM

I would certainly appreciate the pictures.
Old 09-07-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll take a few when I get home tonight.
Old 09-07-05, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Leechboy
I bought mine at a Media Play back in December of 99. The center ring of the disc has a mirror finish on both sides. The one shown in the first post has a clear one. The bottom of the disc looks exactly like the one shown at the very bottom of the first post.

Well then it would seem, unless there was more than one "official" pressing then the one I have is in fact a bootleg.

Last edited by JohnnyDrama2006; 09-07-05 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-07-05, 04:23 PM

According to this website

http://wgallo.tripod.com/

Here is his "orginal" version of Hard Boiled DVD (Edited to show via Image Shack)

Last edited by dvdisoil; 09-07-05 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-07-05, 04:29 PM

That just happens to be the only image on his site that won't show up for me, too much traffic I presume
Old 09-07-05, 04:51 PM

I found my copy and even found the receipt (06/30/99) for the purchase from Big Star Ent. Remember them?

It definitely has the mirrored center ring and the Nimbus logo. If I ever decide to sell it, which I might, I'd supply the original receipt as provenance.

Phil
Old 09-07-05, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by pmreed
I found my copy and even found the receipt (06/30/99) for the purchase from Big Star Ent. Remember them?

It definitely has the mirrored center ring and the Nimbus logo. If I ever decide to sell it, which I might, I'd supply the original receipt as provenance.

Phil

If you ever do please keep me in mind as it looks like I'll be needing to replace this one.
Old 09-07-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The camera lens was dusty but here is mine.

Hard Boiled

The Killer (might as well get 2 bird with 1 stone)

Front

Old 09-07-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Leechboy

This is exactly what mine looks like - mirrored all the way to the center hole.
I bought mine within a couple of weeks when it was released at Suncoast.

When looking at it just now I was noting how gold the playing side was....an early dual layer disc I guess.
Old 09-07-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought mine from Amazon (directly) back when it came out (not marketplace, if it existed back then) ..it looks exactly like the OP's disc..except I have no barcode ...
Old 09-08-05, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by pilot
I bought mine from Amazon (directly) back when it came out (not marketplace, if it existed back then) ..it looks exactly like the OP's disc..except I have no barcode ...
OP?? Original Poster??

And thanks to Lem and Leech for the pics, really appreciate that.
Old 09-09-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah, OP = original poster..