Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Toy Story" 10th...anyone's 2nd disc scratched?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-06-05, 09:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

I bought at BB and two were scratched on the 2nd disc only. I didn't want to keep opening them bc i felt they were all like that.

Anyone else see this on 2nd?

Would these minor scuffs affect play?
Old 09-06-05, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got mine at WalMart and both discs were A-OK.

I doubt it's a store-specific problem. I think it's a DVD manufacturing/packaging problem. I don't think it takes that much effort to know that some cases protect discs better than others. All DVD cases should have significantly raised hubs to keep the disc surface off the package surface.

Today I bought Toy Story, Lost and Star Trek TOS S3 (to complete my TOS collection, finally.) That's, what, 16 discs? In all that, I had one with a single scratch - Lost, disc No. 4. It's going back tomorrow.

As for how scuffs and stuff affect play - I've read there are programs to quickly check DVDs for issues like that. But the only way to know for sure is to play it. Or, you could try exchanging it at another BB store and hope it goes better.
Old 09-06-05, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
No, luckily not with this set, but I have purchased quite a few other discs lately that were scratched. Like I mentioned in another thread, this seems like a growing trend.
Old 09-06-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nothing here.
Old 09-07-05, 03:20 AM

I bought at BB and two were scratched on the 2nd disc only. I didn't want to keep opening them bc i felt they were all like that.

Would these minor scuffs affect play?

My disc 2 was slightly scuffed as well.
Old 09-07-05, 08:12 AM

My disc 2 isn't scratched, but it has two wierd circles that go around the disc. They are not even, and the DVD looks like its darker in some areas than others. I tryed playing it and it works fine. Not sure if I should exchange it or not.
Old 09-07-05, 09:33 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
I got mine at WalMart and both discs were A-OK.

I doubt it's a store-specific problem. I think it's a DVD manufacturing/packaging problem. I don't think it takes that much effort to know that some cases protect discs better than others. All DVD cases should have significantly raised hubs to keep the disc surface off the package surface.

Today I bought Toy Story, Lost and Star Trek TOS S3 (to complete my TOS collection, finally.) That's, what, 16 discs? In all that, I had one with a single scratch - Lost, disc No. 4. It's going back tomorrow.

As for how scuffs and stuff affect play - I've read there are programs to quickly check DVDs for issues like that. But the only way to know for sure is to play it. Or, you could try exchanging it at another BB store and hope it goes better.
do you know what programs can check? i am not going to watch for awhile and don't want to sit through the whole thing to see if it skips or not...
Old 09-07-05, 11:53 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DarthPrime
My disc 2 isn't scratched, but it has two wierd circles that go around the disc. They are not even, and the DVD looks like its darker in some areas than others. I tryed playing it and it works fine. Not sure if I should exchange it or not.
Looks like it's the uneven glue applied. It should not affect playback anyway.
Old 09-07-05, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by eau
Looks like it's the uneven glue applied. It should not affect playback anyway.
Thanks I've been watching some of the special features and it seems ok. Will the uneven glue eventually cause the disc some problems or should I even worry about it?
Old 09-07-05, 01:47 PM

do you know what programs can check? i am not going to watch for awhile and don't want to sit through the whole thing to see if it skips or not...
I don't remember what the programs are. I just remembered reading them mentioned here. Maybe someone else can provide that info.

Regarding the glue... I've seen that on many discs. So far it hasn't caused a problem I'm aware of. But maybe down the road... who knows? We'd like to think these will last forever, but odds are they won't.
Old 09-07-05, 02:03 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
I don't remember what the programs are. I just remembered reading them mentioned here. Maybe someone else can provide that info.

Regarding the glue... I've seen that on many discs. So far it hasn't caused a problem I'm aware of. But maybe down the road... who knows? We'd like to think these will last forever, but odds are they won't.
I think it's one of the Nero tools. Is it DVDSpeed?
Old 09-07-05, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by DarthPrime
Will the uneven glue eventually cause the disc some problems or should I even worry about it?
I'd say about 75% of my dvds are like that and they all work fine, so you probably don't have to worry about it.
Old 09-07-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts
I'm glad to report that mine turned out scratch free. Love the new 5.1 mix. The old one sounded great so I was indeed surprised.

Anyone check out the new THX advanced test? It's different than the one featured in The Incredibles DVD. It says to cgeck out http://www.thx.com for info regarding it but the site only discusses the version present on The Incredibles DVD.