DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Secret of My Success - widescreen?

Old 09-05-05, 12:08 PM
boe
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Secret of My Success - widescreen?

Hello,

I just pulled out my Secret of my Success DVD. I didn't remember my copy being full screen only. I was wondering if they made a widescreen version?
Old 09-05-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, they did. Just pulled mine out and it's WS. I'm actually surprised it didn't feature both options. Seems like most of the barebone catalog titles had both choices, but I guess not.
Old 09-05-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My copy is also widescren only. great movie by the way.
Old 09-05-05, 04:09 PM
boe
Suspended

Thanks for the info. I ended up watching again for the first time in ages. I have to admit I laughed aloud at a few scenes.
Old 09-05-05, 05:07 PM

Are your region 1's 16:9? I have a region 2 non-anamorphic and would like to upgrade
Old 09-05-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisTurner
Are your region 1's 16:9? I have a region 2 non-anamorphic and would like to upgrade
according to the box its not.
Old 09-05-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was this released twice, once before? Like say through Image Entertainment as a snapper case only dvd, perhaps. I am totally lost here with this. I know that the Universal copy should be widescreen, but it may have been released before.
Old 09-06-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is ripe for re-release. One of the earlier titles to find a place on DVD. Transfer is 4:3 letterboxed. Extras are essentially zilch. Love the film, but not interested in this DVD. Should eventually get the "special edition" treatment.

There's an amazing song that provides the background music in at least two scenes. "Something I Gotta Do" by Restless Heart. Love it. Weird thing is, it's not available on the soundtrack, nor on any Restless Heart album, nor anywhere else at all. It's as if the song doesn't even exist. Bizarre. I don't understand it. Just know that I would love to have it.

--THX
Old 05-12-07, 11:00 AM

Digging up this old thread...

The Michael J. Fox Comedy Collection comes out this week and some sites are listing "The Secret of My Success" being anamorphic. I somehow doubt this, but it would be nice if they were correct. I remember Universal slipping in an anamorphic "Smokey and the Bandit" with the franchise collection release, so I have a glimmer of hope that "The Secret of My Success" could be anamorphic... There are also some sites that leave the word "anamorphic" off of the listing for it, which increases my skepticism of the sites that list it as anamorphic.

Anyone dare pick this up to find out?

Also, that Restless Heart song is on the soundtrack - it's called "Don't Ask the Reason Why". The phrase "It's something I gotta do" is in the song, but that's not the title....
Old 05-12-07, 01:54 PM
GOS
Cool New Member

Anyone remember the 1965 flick - The Secret of My Success? Wish they would release IT on DVD. It's often been derided by critics, as a "bomb", but it's something of a guilty pleasure of mine. Filmed in Panavision, it would be great to see it in it's OAR (only ever seen pan & scan prints)
Old 05-15-07, 04:16 PM

The R1 disc is 4/3 Widescreen............this is one of many Universal titles that need new Anamorpic transfers (The Getaway, The Real McCoy etc).
Old 05-15-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, the Tom Hanks Comedy Collection got remastered anamorphic transfers for The Burbs and Dragnet. So there's a chance...
Old 05-15-07, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Well, the Tom Hanks Comedy Collection got remastered anamorphic transfers for The Burbs and Dragnet. So there's a chance...
Both were always anamorphic widescreen.
Old 05-15-07, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by BrandonJF
Both were always anamorphic widescreen.
Yes, but reviews state that they were new transfers.
Old 05-15-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, that Restless Heart song is on the soundtrack - it's called "Don't Ask the Reason Why". The phrase "It's something I gotta do" is in the song, but that's not the title....
Wow, how right you are. IMDb identifies the song as "Something I Gotta Do," as do the end credits for the movie, if I'm not mistaken. But, no mention of it on the soundtrack, and no reference to it anywhere else. Great to finally know it's available. Many thanks.

--THX
Old 05-16-07, 08:11 AM

They put the box art up on DVDEmpire and the back of the box lists "The Secret of My Success" as anamorphic widescreen.

I'm going to have to pick it up and see....
Old 05-16-07, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Wow, how right you are. IMDb identifies the song as "Something I Gotta Do," as do the end credits for the movie, if I'm not mistaken. But, no mention of it on the soundtrack, and no reference to it anywhere else. Great to finally know it's available. Many thanks.

--THX
I was kinda wrong... I somehow imagined that line "Something I Gotta Do" in the soundtrack version, but it's not there. It actually was in the movie (probably how my mind played tricks on me there).

I checked it out on Wikipedia and it's really weird... the song IS the same song, but the lyrics and title are different between the soundtrack and the theatrical version. How strange.
Old 05-16-07, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I will definitely pick this collection up. I didn't even remember/know it was coming out. I have always wondered about Secret of My Success, Greedy and The Hard Way. While I wait I guess I should go pick up Life With Mikey, too...
Old 05-16-07, 12:35 PM

I did just order it even though I've got all the contained moves already. That better not be a packaging error on the back. If it is, I ordered it from Amazon who are better at taking back opened discs when there is an issue. I'd hate to try to explain it to a BB/CC clerk...

But, The Secret of My Success is one of my favorite movies ever, I love The Hard Way, Greedy was pretty good, and For Love or Money... well, at least it has Michael J. Fox and Gabrielle Anwar in it...

I might have to go check out this Tom Hanks collection, too - I never knew Dragnet and The Burbs were remastered...

I hate to buy too many of these catalog titles with HD-DVDs trickling out, but I somehow don't have much faith in some of these Michael J. Fox movies coming out anytime soon....
Old 05-16-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I did just order it even though I've got all the contained moves already. That better not be a packaging error on the back. If it is, I ordered it from Amazon who are better at taking back opened discs when there is an issue. I'd hate to try to explain it to a BB/CC clerk...

But, The Secret of My Success is one of my favorite movies ever, I love The Hard Way, Greedy was pretty good, and For Love or Money... well, at least it has Michael J. Fox and Gabrielle Anwar in it...

I might have to go check out this Tom Hanks collection, too - I never knew Dragnet and The Burbs were remastered...

I hate to buy too many of these catalog titles with HD-DVDs trickling out, but I somehow don't have much faith in some of these Michael J. Fox movies coming out anytime soon....
Universal also did the Clint Eastwood collection recently which I guess had a new anamorphic transfer for one of the included features, so...odds are that the packaging is right and it's anamorphic.
Old 05-16-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, what to do... buy this set and have 3 other films I don't want... or tough it out under the assumption that -- at some point -- this is hitting HD DVD?

I think I'm waiting, but we'll see.
Old 05-16-07, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
If the 'Burbs does truly have a new transfer I hope they release it on its own disc as well. I don't really care about Dragnet and I already have Money Pit.
Old 05-16-07, 06:45 PM

It's relatively cheap. I would've paid the $20 just for a stand-alone anamorphic Secret of My Success anyway.

And that Tom Hanks set is only $16 at Amazon. There are plenty of double-dips that cost that much as a stand-alone release anyway.
Old 05-18-07, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I bought it.

All four films are anamorphic. The only downside is I think the Hard Way had a couple of features and now they're gone. All four films have trailers. Success and Greedy get their own discs but Hard Way and Love or Money are crammed onto one so it's 3 discs.
Old 05-18-07, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I bought it.

All four films are anamorphic. The only downside is I think the Hard Way had a couple of features and now they're gone. All four films have trailers. Success and Greedy get their own discs but Hard Way and Love or Money are crammed onto one so it's 3 discs.
The original "The Hard Way" disc only had a theatrical trailer and some text-based supplements (the old standard of cast bios/production notes/film highlights). The original pressing also had audio sync issues (which were later corrected in subsequent pressings).

From what I've read, the only film to take a hit (depending on your audio preference) is "For Love or Money" which has lost it's DTS track, probably due to it having to share a disc with "The Hard Way".

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.