Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shelter From the Storm: A Concert for the Gulf Coast

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Shelter From the Storm: A Concert for the Gulf Coast

I'm surprised that there isn't a thread yet. This has been a pretty solid show, mixing footage with concerts celeb monologues.

Harry Connick Jr, Aaron Neville and Faith Hill have all been superb. BUT then we get to our 15 minutes of fame, flavor of the month Kanye West, complaining how the media is only portaying black people as looters. And bitching about Bush.

pssst... Kanye... this is a charity event for those in need, not some award show of the moment for you to spout your political nonsense. Get off your soapbox, change the channel, and watch for more than 10 minutes. I've seen people of all race, creed and color looting. I've seen people of all race, creed and color being rescued by people of all race, creed and color. Crawl back under the rock you came out from. Sheesh. Not the time, nor the place.

Poor Mike Meyers stood next to him in befuddlement before they finally cut Kanye off and went to Chris Tucker.
Old 09-02-05, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I completely agree that it was highly inappropriate behavior, it made for great television.
Old 09-02-05, 09:33 PM

Kanye: "George Bush doesn't like black people."

Thanks for beating around the bush there, bud. No pun intended.

Last edited by gnradd21; 09-02-05 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-02-05, 09:33 PM

http://rapidshare.de/files/4662131/K..._NBC_.mpg.html
Old 09-02-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Whatever good points NBC Universal made with that special got ruined by Kanye West's mutterings.
Old 09-02-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks for the link! That sure didn't take long to show up.

I just came here to find out about Kanye's remarks when a friend IMed me about them.
Old 09-02-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

You are my hero. Watching the expression on Mike is priceless. It did make for some great tv, and now a great vid to pass around the net.
Old 09-02-05, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the look on Chris Tuckers face is priceless as well.

Last edited by Rypro 525; 09-02-05 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-02-05, 10:28 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
It's started...

http://www.ytmnd.com/list/?search=kanye
Old 09-02-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Here's a direct link to a longer clip that contains more insightful Kanye commentary.
Old 09-02-05, 10:36 PM

http://www.pixelmd.com/kanye.html

Christ Tucker was also caught off guard
Old 09-02-05, 10:45 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Mike Myers looks like he'd rather be in New Orleans then in front of that camera at that moment.

Last edited by MrX; 09-02-05 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-02-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the link, the west coast got the edited version.
Old 09-02-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Here's a direct link to a longer clip that contains more insightful Kanye commentary.
The expression and reaction of Mike Meyers in that clip is priceless....the last comment seemed so random and out of the blue
Old 09-02-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have no idea who this Kanye West guy is, but he he lacks any class. He tried to "loot" the Concert that was put together to benefit others, the benefit was not his to "loot".
Old 09-02-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by MrX
Mike Myers looks like he'd rather be in New Orleans then in front of that camera at that moment.
Old 09-02-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone who has read anything about Kanye or listened to his music, knows that he has some pretty far-out ideas concerning race and oppression. He seems a pretty interesting choice for this show considering his past tirades at awards shows and the like --- of course, I guess that's what having the hottest album released this week will do for you. I thought it was pretty funny that after Mike Myers got done with his first canned, teleprompted bit, Kanye went right into riffing off the top of his head about class and race. Immediately, Myers went back to the teleprompter, then Kanye says "George Bush hates black people" out of nowhere... I would have LOVED to have seen what was said after the cameras cut away --- "Shyah, RIGHT, when monkey fly out of my butt..."

Crazy, just crazy.
Old 09-02-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm surprised that there isn't a thread yet. This has been a pretty solid show, mixing footage with concerts celeb monologues.
Didn't start a thread about this show per se, but I did start a thread about the eventual "We're filthy rich and don't donate anything but our time [while being pampered if our name is J.Lo], but it's every American citizen's duty [except ourselves] to give to help your fellow man" telethons that are on their way..

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436397

Guess I should've put it in Politics talk or sumthin..
Old 09-03-05, 12:08 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow...wow You'd think a performer would at least be able to piece together a few sentences without sounding like a complete moron (not taking into account that what he was attempting to say was insane).
Old 09-03-05, 03:24 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flynn
I would have LOVED to have seen what was said after the cameras cut away --- "Shyah, RIGHT, when monkey fly out of my butt..."
I was actually hoping for the Dr. Evil pause and deadpan "Riiiiight".
Old 09-03-05, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What an absolute idiot. Maybe we can have a concert to raise money to send this asshole back to whatever third world country he would feel less oppressed in.

I've never liked his music, but never really cared one way or another about him - until now.

There always seems to be one moron who has to go and screw things up when others are trying to do something positive.

Kanye (or Marvin Bernard as he was born) will be hearing about this one for a long time.
Old 09-03-05, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The headline on the newspage I went to this morning said "Rapper rants during Katrina benefit". I knew right away who they were talking about.
Old 09-03-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
Wow...wow You'd think a performer would at least be able to piece together a few sentences without sounding like a complete moron (not taking into account that what he was attempting to say was insane).
Y'know I think he might have came off as a "moron" because he's really been effected by what's happeneing. He sounded really nervous and usually Kanye is cocky as all get out, so I don't think this was done to increase record sales (if anything it might hurt them) or grab attention. I think seeing what we're all seeing really impacted him, and right or wrong he spoke on why he thought that was.
Old 09-03-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Flynn
Anyone who has read anything about Kanye or listened to his music, knows that he has some pretty far-out ideas concerning race and oppression.
Very true. In his album "College Dropout" he talks about his mom getting arrested at the sit-ins and has lyrics like "racism is still alive, they just be concealing it."

Not to mention his reaction on "Punk'd" when a fake white police officer tried to take away his film of a music video. He was basically screaming that he was being oppressed and he grabbed the film and ran away into a moving van.
Old 09-03-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Y'know I think he might have came off as a "moron" because he's really been effected by what's happeneing. He sounded really nervous and usually Kanye is cocky as all get out, so I don't think this was done to increase record sales (if anything it might hurt them) or grab attention. I think seeing what we're all seeing really impacted him, and right or wrong he spoke on why he thought that was.
Actually, he only seems to sound "cocky" when talking about himself. When he tries to be "controversial" [ie talking about something other than himself on something other than wax], he doesn't seem to be as smooth. But, perhaps that's my own interpretation.

Oh, and not that i'm saying he did/didn't do it for record sales...but, let's see if it'll hurt 'em....

number of Democrats/Liberals/kids who thinks it's cool he stuck it to "the Man" or think that being "political" is buying one of Puffy's "Vote Or Die" shirts vs. number of Republican/Conservatives upset as his ramblings

nope, doesn't seem like much of a loss there..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.