Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help me pick out a projector.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've finally convinced the wife that we "need" a projector. I'm turning our rec room into a home theater, and want to find a good projector. Price is obviously a concern, but I'm willing to pay more to get a better product. Right now, the two I'm looking at are Dell 2300 MP Projector and Dell 1100 MP Projector. Here's a link comparing the two: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=19&l=en&s=dhs

Obviously, that's the Dell website, so it's only comparing their own products. What I'm asking is: Is the Dell 2300 worth the $400 or so? Or for that matter, is there a better projector out there for a comparable price? Thanks for the assitance, as always.
Old 08-30-05, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally wouldn't go with those projectors, there are better home theater projectors out there for the money.

To answer your question, the $400 gets you closer to a "true" HD resolution. Which can be a good thing or could be a bad thing.

For the money, I would look at the Optoma H31, InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 or BenQ PB6110/PB6210. The Optoma and InFocus are both 480p native projectors. While it isn't true HD, they will look really for what they are. The BenQ projectors ride in between 480p and "true" HD, but are solid projectors near your price range that have gotten great reviews.

I also highly recommend getting a good screen and don't use a white wall like so many people do. While it will look fine on a white wall, a screen will help you get much more out of your projector. They don't cost all that much, you can get them for around $100 and they really are a must for projectors.
Old 08-30-05, 10:57 AM

I agree with zargon on the choice of PJ's.
I just bought a home theater PJ and went with the 4805. There are great deals on it right now. If you buy before tomorrow, there's a $100 rebate from Infocus, too.
Old 08-30-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the advice. Where would I find these projectors?
Old 08-30-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Crap, computer froze...the highlights

-There are some good threads here, do a search!
-Check out avsforum.com and projectorcentral.com
-Plan, IMHO, you want to hide the wires by running in attic/walls. This is not that hard, but takes some planning as there are a lot of wires.
-Newer PJ's are bright, but you want light control. I got some nice drapes at Bed Bath and Beyond for a lot less then "real" home theater drapes.
-You don't want to sit in total darkness. So accent lighting is important. On a budget? Rope lighting works well (but don't over do it). You can also use inexpensive dimmers on most of them.
-What about seating? Couches? How many rows? You going to need a riser? Real theater seats? Recliners?
-This going to be for "movie nights"? "Football Sundays"? "CSI?".
-I agree you need a screen, but if on a budget, build it yourself. Easy and very good results.

Finally yes you need to plan. But also don't get scared, just start. I learned early on everything is fixable including drywall
Old 08-30-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, here's the short version. Bought a new house, which has a pre-existing "fun" room (pool tables, bar, etc). Gonna move stuff around to make it into a theater. Got a "false" ceiling with tiles, so hiding wires is no problem. Got plenty of space for furniture, but don't think I'll need a riser. It's mainly going to be for watching movies, but also for playing video games and the occasional TV show (like "Lost").

I figured I'd get a screen to mount on the wall. Any advice on something like that as well?

Light control is no problem. Two small windows, easily darkened.

As for projectors, is brighter better?

Also, Zargon said "To answer your question, the $400 gets you closer to a "true" HD resolution. Which can be a good thing or could be a bad thing." Why would it be a bad thing?
Old 08-30-05, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by darthlurker
I figured I'd get a screen to mount on the wall. Any advice on something like that as well?

Also, Zargon said "To answer your question, the $400 gets you closer to a "true" HD resolution. Which can be a good thing or could be a bad thing." Why would it be a bad thing?
I am partial to DaLite screens. They have a wide range from pull down, wall mount, tensioned and even electric ones. They also range from affordable to beyond. They shouldn't be hard to find at all.

As far as brighter, the higher the lumes the better for the most part. However, there are other factors that come into play with PQ. Shopping only on something like lumes isn't too smart. The projectors I listed are pretty much the most highly regarded as good projectors in your price range, shouldn't have any issues with any of them.

It can become a bad thing since it is a non-standard resolution in the HT realm. Basically, the less scaling the better. It isn't a super huge deal, but there are people that swear by the 480p native projectors over a computer based resolution one. It usually comes down to personal preference but my feelings are stick to standards and less scaling the better.
Old 08-30-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What size room are we talking? Sound like you got a good set up!

I have no problem buying a screen. But they are so easy to build. Here is my DIY screen,

Let me know if interested I'll send you the info from the guy I bought the material from. He provides excellent instructions and careful packaging. Build time was about 2 hours.
Old 08-30-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes but so is contrast, do not overlook that.
Old 08-30-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I checked out the InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 on Best Buy and Circuit City. Both places are about the same, and that's right in my price range. So unless there's some glaring drawback to it, I think I'll go with that one. Not sure on the exact size of my room, Sdallnct, but that's a nice looking screen. If you want to send me info, that's great. Thanks again, everybody.
Old 08-30-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I checked out the InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 on Best Buy and Circuit City. Both places are about the same, and that's right in my price range. So unless there's some glaring drawback to it, I think I'll go with that one. Not sure on the exact size of my room, Sdallnct, but that's a nice looking screen. If you want to send me info, that's great. Thanks again, everybody.
The 4805 is very popular you should enjoy it. You might look to see if Dell has it in stock, any coupons, etc. Check out Fatwallet also for the latest deals. Also Costco has it in and out of stock and they include a package with a 76" screen for right at $1,000.

Here is the guy I bought my screen material from. The best part is the good packaging and excellent, detailed, step by step instructions. This is just a sample of his offerings, you would want one the size you need. Just look at his other auctions,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Home-Theater-Pro...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-31-05, 07:41 AM

Pricegrabber.com is your best friend for just about anything, pricewatch.com for computers and some electronics.
Old 08-31-05, 10:49 AM

I bought my 4805 from tigerdirect.com actually. It was on sale for $899 before rebate. $799 after rebate (an infocus rebate).
I know I know, tigerdirect sux, etc...
I called infocus before buying and confirmed they would honor both the warranty and rebate if bought from their. PJ came in about a week.
Old 08-31-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
What's your budget. There are some great LCD HT projectors out there for about 2 grand.
Old 08-31-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How is the 4805 in regards to SD TV and video games?
Old 09-01-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spy021
How is the 4805 in regards to SD TV and video games?
I don't have a 4805, but an X-1. On my X-1 it depends on the source and size of screen. I use a 94" screen and dish network for SD and it is just "ok". However, dish network is known for their terrible compression. I recently hooked up a HD receiver for OTA HD signal and it is awesome! I love it. And when I swich over to OTA SD, it is better then Dish SD as well (but at a smaller screen as it squares off the image).

I also recently hooked up my son's PS2. Image is good, but I only hooked up with a composite cable. Would likely be better with S-Video or component. But it is fine and my son likes it.
Old 09-01-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My budget is not set in stone, but I was trying to stay in the 900-1300 range.

I've got DirectTv (with Tivo). Anyone have any experience on how that looks? Also, I've got a PS2 and Gamecube, and I think they both have S-Video outputs.
Old 09-01-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My budget is not set in stone, but I was trying to stay in the 900-1300 range.

I've got DirectTv (with Tivo). Anyone have any experience on how that looks? Also, I've got a PS2 and Gamecube, and I think they both have S-Video outputs.
Just like a regular TV, you can either do your switching at the PJ or with a switch box/HT receiver.

The main difference being that typically your PJ is ver far from your components so the question becomes just how many of these long cable do you want to run? Also GENERALLY you have less inputs on a PJ. For example my X-1 has only VGA (which I can use for component with a break out cable), S-video (which again I could use for a break out cable) and composite.

I opted to get a HT Receiver with component switching to handle my HD Receiver and DVD player. My PS2 is hooked thru composite, so this means running to my projector I have a component cable (3 cables) and a single composite. I kind of wish I had run an S-video, and I may go back and do that, but no rush right now.
Old 09-01-05, 03:56 PM

Make certain that whatever projector you get is HDCP compatable. If you ever intend to view the coming high-def discs (HD-DVD or Blu-Ray), your display must be HDCP compatable. How would you know? Look for an HDMI connection. All HDMI connections are HDCP compatable. A DVI connection may or may not be HDCP compatable - you must do some research to find out. The manual will probably tell you, if one is available.
Old 09-23-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hi, everyone. I'm bumping this thread instead of starting a new one since it's all for the same system. I've done a little bit of research, and I really think the InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 is the way to go for me. It's well within my budget, and gets pretty rave reviews everywhere. So here's my follow-up question: A receiver and dvd player to hook up for it. I'm considering this player:

Onkyo 6-Disc DVD/CD Player (DV-CP702) http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...l.do?oid=99145

and this receiver:

Onkyo Surround Sound Receiver
http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/...Review.do#tabs

Both seem to get pretty good reviews on the web, and both seem pretty affordable. Any thoughts?
Old 09-23-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Or here's their HTIB:

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/...Detail.do#tabs
Old 09-23-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know anything about Onkyo speakers.

I've been in the same boat as you for awhile. I've been doing a ton of research, and everyone seems to like these speakers called "Rocket Tykes". They're $400 for the complete set, and for $99 more, they throw in a Kenwood VRS 7200 Receiver (which retails at $399 itself!). If I had the money today, this is what I would get.

Here's the link: Rocket Tyke/Kenwood Bundle

As for a DVD player, since your projector has both component and DVI inputs, why not buy a DVD player which has upconversion like the OPPO OPDV971H? People have reported excellent things using this player with a projector.

Here's the link: Oppo OPDV971H

FYI - You can by the Oppo other places too (like Amazon), but I think the Rocket Tykes are only available at the link provided.

Let us know what you end up doing...

Last edited by wildman1037; 09-23-05 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-23-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the Onkyo surround system and like it very much for the money. It has been discussed alot around here. I have included some links if you want to read some comments about it.

Link #1
Link #2

If you want more links do a search for Onkyo.

I would also recommend an upconverting dvd player for your projector.

Good luck
Old 09-23-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"As for a DVD player, since your projector has both component and DVI inputs, why not buy a DVD player which has upconversion like the OPPO OPDV971H? People have reported excellent things using this player with a projector."

Since I'm ignorant in this area, explain why it would look better than component video? Thank you.
Old 09-23-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It may or may not. The DVI connection maintains digital signal to the PJ. This often gives a slightly better picture than using component.

I don't know, I'm sure it has been tried and discussed at AVS, but I wonder about bothering with the Oppo for the 4805 PJ. The PJ is only DVD resolution in the first place, the up-conversion is really not necessary. I don't know, though. I don't own either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.