Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Last Polka ever? Part of SCTV??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Last Polka ever? Part of SCTV??

I've been waiting for the Last Polka to come out on DVD, and thought maybe we'd see an announcement after the SCTV sets started to roll out, but I still haven't heard anything. Wasn't that a stand alone project, or was it part of SCTV's Showtime run and may be released on DVD when they are completed with the Network 90 run?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087596/
Old 08-28-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
It was a stand-alone movie that was released in theaters. I would love to see a Schmenge Brothers collection that had all their appearances on SCTV and this movie bundled together.
Cabbage Rolls and Coffee, MMM MMM Good!

Edited to add: IMDB lists it as made for showtime, a couple of others list it as being made for HBO but I could swear it had a theatrical run, although if it's only 60 minutes, it seems unlikely.

Last edited by Quatermass; 08-28-05 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-28-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
The Last Polka was definitely an HBO special. I think I still have the page from the HBO guide somewhere. It'd be great to have it on DVD, but I wonder if there would be any music trouble. It's been so long since I've seen it. Did Moranis do Stairway to Heaven on that special?

& SCTV was on Cinemax. I don't know if it was ever on Showtime.

A few other SCTV-related shows I'd love to see released:

The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley cartoon. Joe Flaherty, Andrea Martin, Catherine O'Hara, Jonathan Winters, & of course, Martin Short were all regulars. I think Dave Thomas was a guest in 1 episode as a Bob Hope type character. Count Floyd even made a live action appearance in each episode.

Maniac Mansion. This was a really sweet family show that was also very quirky & funny. Joe Flaherty was the scientist dad. John Hemphill & Mary Charlotte Wilcox (both from SCTV) were also in it. There were occasional SCTV guest stars (Martin Short) & I think Eugene Levy was a producer or something. Lucasfilm was also involved.

The Dave Thomas Show. This didn't last long at all. Maybe only 6 episodes? But it was a very funny primetime sketch show. He'd have a different guest every week & I distinctly remember this being the last time Dan Aykroyd was funny. John Candy, Martin Short, Chevy Chase guested.

It would also be fun to see the Going Berserk movie again.
Old 08-28-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, some good stuff there I forgot about myself. Hopefully Dave Thomas secured rights to release this other stuff on DVD when he negotiated the SCTV rights.