Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Great Blue Ray HD story - Is Blue Ray gathering steam?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Great Blue Ray HD story - Is Blue Ray gathering steam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great Blu-Ray HD story - Is Blue Ray gathering steam?

http://www.dvdfile.com/news/viewpoin...005/08_23.html

Quote:
Blu-ray Disc Declarations
Since Fox's announcement of its support for Blu-ray Disc, a few other content owners have declared for Blu-ray as well. Lions Gate Home Entertainment has announced its support for the format, citing Blu-ray's seemingly superior content management and copy protection standards. Another factor is the inclusion of a Blu-ray Disc drive in the upcoming PlayStation 3 console. Less important to film aficionados but perhaps significant to Blu-ray, two days before the Lions Gate announcement, Universal Music Group also joined the Blu-ray camp. Sony BMG, of course, was already a Blu-ray Disc supporter. Interestingly, those two music companies are reported to represent fifty percent of the music market.

HD-DVD Pullback
As the balance begins to tilt toward Blu-ray, Paramount, Universal, and Warner surprised everyone by pulling back from HD-DVD. Paramount Home Entertainment was to have released twenty HD-DVD titles by the end of the year; they announced that they would postpone product release until 2006. Warner Home Video has also backpedaled, implying that it may not release product by the end of the year. Warner Home Video's President Jim Cardwell was reported as commenting that Warner would rather work with all parties to unify the format. Only Universal Pictures Home Entertainment remains committed to releasing films on HD-DVD before 2006, but its originally planned release of sixteen titles was cut back to an even dozen. Sounds to me like the studios are applying some considerable behind-the-scenes pressure to get Sony and Toshiba to compromise and give us the one format we all believe is critical to high definition DVD's success.

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 08-27-05 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-27-05, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Hey, no "e" in Blu-Ray. Otherwise, they couldn't have copyrighted the name. (saying that though, I don't think the chosen name is the greatest. Not exactly catchy).

I really think that (eventually) Blu-ray will win out, and some reasons why are mentioned in the articles quoted above. The likely postponement of 4th quarter HD DVD releases does not surprise me. I think that Warner/Toshiba were hoping to use that announcement earlier this year to try and force Sony to capitulate and it failed, so they've practically gave up trying for such an early release date.
Old 08-27-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that equipping the PS3 with Blu-Ray is what will win the war, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 08-27-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by silentbob007
I think that equipping the PS3 with Blu-Ray is what will win the war, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
That's been part of Sony's plan all along. Once everybody has a PS3 will they toss it because HD-DVD won the war. How long do those players last anyway? Are people going to not buy the PS3 waiting for the outcome of the format war?
Old 08-27-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock
Hey, no "e" in Blu-Ray. Otherwise, they couldn't have copyrighted the name. (saying that though, I don't think the chosen name is the greatest. Not exactly catchy).

I really think that (eventually) Blu-ray will win out, and some reasons why are mentioned in the articles quoted above. The likely postponement of 4th quarter HD DVD releases does not surprise me. I think that Warner/Toshiba were hoping to use that announcement earlier this year to try and force Sony to capitulate and it failed, so they've practically gave up trying for such an early release date.
Fixed the typo.

Which ever Game Box comes out with HD (DVD) 1st is the Game Box I am going to buy. The new Game Box will be my new DVD player.

Looks like a nice new silver/white PS3 is going to be sitting in my entertainment center. My TV has a DVI already to connect to the HD DVD player.
Old 08-27-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally Posted by silentbob007
I think so too, as I stated in the "Format War" thread. Yes people will be sitting out on the format war, but at the same time, many will be introducing one of those formats into their homes anyway, as they are buying a PS3. Including Blue-ray in the PS3 was a very smart move on Sony's part. Regarding the format war, Microsoft doesn't have much to loose if HD DVD doesn't catch on, so they didn't feel pressed to include it in the Xbox 360 (although that does put the system at a disadvantage over the PS3 in the game system war, but that's a different battle). If Toshiba had a game system, you can be damn sure that the new version would have included HD DVD. But they don't, so it's definitely to Sony's advantage that they are releasing a new version of a very popular game system and trying to introduce a new disc format at the same time.
Old 08-27-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
I remember reading once that Sony was going to add a satellite tuner, tivo, and dvd burner(like stand alones have) to the playstation so it would be the only piece of equipment you need. Have they done any of that yet?
Old 08-27-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Blu-Ray/HD thread #1, 265, 992 and counting...
Old 08-27-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by cultshock
I never really cared for the name either.I guess we can look forward to the "What Blu-Rays are you getting this week?" threads.
Old 08-27-05, 10:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rw2516
I remember reading once that Sony was going to add a satellite tuner, tivo, and dvd burner(like stand alones have) to the playstation so it would be the only piece of equipment you need. Have they done any of that yet?
XBOX has a thing you can buy so it acts like a TiVo.

I'm not going to decide which format based off of what game system I own. The playstation is the crappiest dvd player I own and I have only used it once because I had to.
Old 08-27-05, 11:18 PM
Retired

I imagine sony will make the PS3 a pretty decent blu-ray player since they are trying to win the format war.

With the PS2 they didn't care much about quality of DVD playback and just wanted to have that feature to sell consoles.

Now they know the PS3 and it's game lineup will sell itself, so they're hoping to use that to win the format war for blu-ray.