Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

November Criterions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-05, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
November Criterions

I was snooping around on www.image-entertainment.com and on their November releases they had the following criterions listed:

Tales of Hoffman

Ran

Ugetsu

See FilmFanSea's post for the specs below!

Last edited by honking; 08-23-05 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-23-05, 12:12 PM

It is good to see that Ran is getting some sort of confirmation after all the theories that it was just an April Fool's Day joke.
Old 08-23-05, 12:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I recall Criterion realized that and apologized profusely when they realized that prelimanary "Ran" DVD info came out in and around the first of April.
Old 08-23-05, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Release dates, specs, and prices are available on the Image website (but no artwork yet):

Ugetsu 11/08/05 $39.95
The great Japanese director Kenji Mizoguchi draws on sources from both East and West for this, his crowning achievement. Set in sixteenth-century Japan, a period of bloody civil war, the film is equally rooted in the postwar psyche of 1950s Japan. Focusing on an ambitious potter haunted by a beautiful ghost and a farmer who dreams of becoming a samurai, the film offers a commentary on the delusions of lust and power, the folly of war, and the stoic suffering of women. Renowned cinematographer Kazuo Miyagawa helps Mizoguchi seamlessly interweave the supernatural with reality, resulting in one of the most beautiful films of all time.

Criterion's double-disc edition will feature audio commentary by critic Tony Rayns, a two-and-a-half hour documentary on Mizoguchi by Kaneto Shindo, a new interview with director Masahiro Shinoda on the film, new interviews with first assistant director Tokuzo Tanaka and Miyagawa on their work on the film, trailers, a booklet featuring the original stories on which the film was based, and more.
Ran 11/22/05 $39.95
Legendary director Akira Kurosawa re-imagines Shakespeare's tragic King Lear as a singular historical epic set in sixteenth-century Japan. Tatsuya Nakadai (The Sword of Doom, Kagemusha) stars as Lord Hidetora, a warlord who cedes authority over his vast dominion to his eldest son, setting off a familial power struggle for control of his kingdom. Majestic in scope, Ran is a visual masterpiece in which Kurosawa contrasts the immensity of war with the crumbling of one family under the weight of betrayal, greed, and the insatiable thirst for power.

Criterion's magnificent two-disc edition will include not only a newly-restored transfer, but also A.K., Chris Marker's 74-minute documentary on Kurosawa's craft in making the film; an introduction by filmmaker Sidney Lumet; a half-hour Toho documentary on the making of the film; a half-hour video piece reconstructing the film through Kurosawa's paintings and sketches; a new interview with star Tatsuya Nakadai; and more.
Tales of Hoffmann 11/22/05 $39.95
In Jacques Offenbach's fantasy opera, the poet E.T.A. Hoffmann dreams of three women - a mechanical performing doll, a bejeweled siren who steals his reflection, and the consumptive daughter of a famous composer - all of whom break his heart in different ways. Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger create a phantasmagoric marriage of cinema and opera in their one-of-a-kind take on this classic story. Feverishly romantic, The Tales of Hoffmann is a feast of music, dance, and visual effects - one of the most exhilarating film adaptations of an opera ever produced.

Criterion's long-awaited DVD (one of our most requested titles) will feature audio commentary by Martin Scorsese & film historian Bruce Eder, a new introduction to the film by director and fan George A. Romero, Michael Powell's short musical film The Sorcerer's Apprentice, a rare collection of production design sketches and paintings, the trailer, and more.

Last edited by FilmFanSea; 08-23-05 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-23-05, 12:39 PM

Well i just got the following Ugetsu DVD

http://us.yesasia.com/assocred.asp?C...ection-videos/

well for 6$ its not too bad i guess - i will be getting the criterion for sure, Great news .
Old 08-23-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ugetsu, Ran, Tales of Hoffmann ... man November is going to be expensive.
Old 08-23-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Intersting about Tales of Hoffman. I thought I read somewhere on the net, maybe the Criterion forum, that the film elements for this were in pretty bad shape. The three strip Technicolor negatives were intact, but they had shrunk and needed something like WB's "ultra resolution" process to line the images back up to make new prints (or an HD transfer). There didn't seem to be any good complete prints to work from, based on the story. Also, the owners of the film didn't or couldn't spend the money to restore the film. I wonder if a restoration on the negatives has been done, or if Criterion was able to find good enough alternate sources somewhere?

I saw parts of the movie years ago on a local PBS station but don't remember much about it, except it seemed extremely stagy, even for a musical. Anything from P&P is worth seeing though.
Old 08-23-05, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lemdog
Ugetsu, Ran, Tales of Hoffmann ... man November is going to be expensive.
tell me about it - laclustre first half of the year for me and... BAM!!! a crap load of films and box sets I simply have to own at the end of the year.
Old 08-23-05, 01:20 PM

In regards to Ran I'm glad to see that the folks at Criterion were able to include the Chris Marker docu A.K. - I rented the UK edition to see this and I wasn't disappointed - a truly fascinating documentary.
Old 08-23-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow. As a Japanese film fan I am in awe. This is my favorite year for releases.
Old 08-23-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, all three are must buys for me. Though I heard "Pickpocket" was coming in November - I wonder if that's still true...
Old 08-23-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Guess I need to get around to selling off that Kurosawa limited edition from Amazon.

Glad a new version of Ran is coming though. If only they could rerelease all the other Fox Lorber titles.
Old 08-23-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Nice to see more Japanese films released on Criterion.

Any chance that Criterion will pickup on The Burmese Harp by Kon Ichikawa? I think it one of the best anti-war film I seen for a long time. Touching and beautifully acted with one of the most haunted soundtrack I heard in awhile.

Last edited by dom56; 08-23-05 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-23-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PopcornTreeCt, I'm with you, when I read this news, I literally jumped out of my chair!
Old 08-23-05, 08:51 PM
Cool New Member

Seems like a good Ran DVD. Now if only they could announce the long rumoured re-release of Seven Samurai...
Old 08-23-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate it when I want all of the month's Criterions! Well, my wallet hates it.

I'm especially eager to get my hands on RAN, but wonder if the current "Masterworks" edition is worth picking up for the two commentaries.
Old 08-23-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

awesome stuff. Just got the amazon exclusive set on the doorstep today.
Old 08-24-05, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Nice to have an official confirmation for Ran. I'll definitely be picking this up.
Old 08-24-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Nice to have an official confirmation for Ran. I'll definitely be picking this up.
Same here.
Old 08-24-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i just criterion would just start boxing up more kurosawa movies....its killer on the wallet.
Old 08-24-05, 05:08 PM

Criterion .......you're killng my overdraft!.....I love you.
Old 08-25-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I sold my Masterworks Ran awhile back, so the Criterion version is great news to me!
Old 08-25-05, 10:48 PM

Stunning official artwork is starting to appear, even though the November releases haven't been officially announced on Criterion's website. Enjoy:

Ugetsu (Spine #309)

Unknown Title (Spine #314)

Ran (Spine #316)

The Tales of Hoffman (Spine #317)
Old 08-25-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Don't like the cover on Ran, it look like some monkey painted it.

The cover for Ugetsu is nice.
Old 08-26-05, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Beautiful stuff, as usual. Looks like I'll be getting all three. I wonder what the unknown release will be?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.