Search this Thread

Old 08-23-05, 05:16 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evil Dead prequel - Within the woods

Hello,

found some informations about a Evil Dead prequel called -within the woods-
and like to know more.

Was slated to be released in April of 2002 as a special feature on Anchor Bay's "Book of the Dead" DVD release of The Evil Dead (1981), but it was withheld at the last minute due to problems with royalties for the music used in the short. This problem has prevented it from being given a release in any format.
The film was first shown to friends and relatives in the backyard of the Tapert family home. Within the Woods premiered to the public in August 1979 at a Detroit cinema known as The Punch and Judy. It opened before The Rocky Horror Picture Show on consecutive Saturdays via a Super 8mm projector that only appeared on a quarter of the screen!
http://www.deadites.net/wtw_prod.php

The Anchor Bay DVD mystery
When Anchor Bay announced their final stand-alone DVD release for Evil Dead – the seminal Book of the Dead edition – in 2002 the horror community wet their pants over the prospect of witnessing the promised extra of Raimi’s “Within the Woods”. A digitally cleaned image with a newly mastered soundtrack was promised and indeed advertised in the run up to it’s release, BUT almost inevitably an unseen forfce intervened: there was a problem. What exactly that problem was remains a mystery to anyone outside of AB or the legal team circles but more importantly what this problem meant was that there probably wouldn’t be a release EVER!

What do we know?
ABUS chief Michael Fleisher posted this over at http://www.mhfv.net , dated 15th January 2002. I’ve abridged it slightly but all I’ve removed are the parts which didn’t mention or refer to the situation:
“….. on Monday, we were notified of an unexpected situation that is going to prevent us from including WITHIN THE WOODS on our DVD. I do not have further details on that. However, this is not an attempt to hold the short back for another release of EVIL DEAD down the line, or anything of that nature. Needless to say this is disappointing for us as I am sure it will be for the fans. As a result of this, WITHIN THE WOODS is being removed from our packaging and website details, and will not be mentioned in any further ads or print material concerning our March 5th EVIL DEAD promotion. Unfortunately a few advertisements were already running that do mention WOODS, however at this stage we weren't able to recall everything.…….In the end, we did everything we could to make WITHIN THE WOODS happen, but, as many other studios have experienced, sometimes last-minute roadblocks can intervene when everything seems set in stone. We've never had an occasion where a feature of a DVD had to be dropped at such a late stage in the process, …..”

Obviously this got a few responses (begging for clarification) so Mr F retorted with this on 16th January 2002:
"Without getting into specifics, here's what the situation is. The music clearances WERE resolved and the situation had been put to rest, however another legal issue came up out of the blue and because of it, WITHIN THE WOODS will most likely never see release on home video. That's really all I can say about it. It's a unfortunate situation in any case."

So the chances are we will never see this one in a pristine release. We will have to be content with the bootlegged edition doing the rounds on the net. This has been discussed in the forum so head over there if you fancy venting some steam about it. Incidentally the unedited version of the main post is there as well.
http://www.withinthewoods.co.uk/

So is it also called "The Punch and Judy" or am i getting that wrong now?

greets
Mario

Last edited by Mario83721; 08-23-05 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-23-05, 06:08 AM

No, I read it that The Punch and Judy was the cinema that it premiered at in Detroit. Interesting story.
Old 08-23-05, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A prequel is:

a literary or dramatic work whose story precedes that of an earlier work
That is, if you have a dramatic work (such as Evil Dead), and then you create another dramatic work afterwards which dramatizes events purported to take place before the events dramatized in the earlier work, you call that later work a prequel.
Old 08-23-05, 07:52 AM

Yeah, a lot of people were disappointed that WTW was not included with the book of the dead edition. I've seen it, and it is extremely amateurish but it's interesting to see an even younger Bruce Campbell and how this lead up to the Evil Dead.

It's widely available on the internet, although illegal downloading is wrong, wrong, wrong!
Old 08-23-05, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
This just brings up bad memories from the past
Old 08-23-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
WITHIN THE WOODS wasn't so much a prequel as a "test" film. Sam Raimi, Bruce Campbell, and a bunch of other friends had been making super 8 films for years, (taking turns being actors, director, etc). but when they finally decided to make a real film, they wanted something that would make money, and they thought that a horror film would do the trick. Since they had no experience in that genre (most of their previous efforts were wacky Three Stooges-type affairs), they did WTW as a test to see if they could make a horror film, and also as something to show investors when they went out to raise money for THE EVIL DEAD.

I always thought the problem was a music rights issue as well. I'm curious as to what the issue is.
Old 08-23-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by cultshock
I'm curious as to what the issue is.
From the vaguely cryptic comments I've seen on MHVF, it sounds like someone at Renaissance really just doesn't want it out there, kinda like the way Best Brains are somewhat embarrassed by the first season of Mystery Science Theater 3000.
Old 08-23-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I came into ownership of a copy, but the quality was crappy. In any case, as someone else mentioned, it's worth seeing to see BC in action, but it's not all that exciting to watch.
Old 08-23-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The copy floating around the internet is quite horrible looking; dark, tons of tracking lines from the original tape, etc. The sound isn't much better. I was upset when this wasn't included with the Book of the Dead. If you are a fan of the films I think it's worth seeing at least once.
Old 12-26-07, 07:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
this short film still has not been released in any format correct? too bad it couldn't even make it on the new "The Evil Dead" (UE)
Old 12-26-07, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I wonder if Within The Woods "inspired" those ______ to make Blair Witch.
Old 12-26-07, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei

There are some who say the film Equinox "inspired" The Evil Dead...
Old 12-26-07, 09:29 PM

Hey man, Blair Witch is a quality movie.
Old 12-26-07, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mike7162
There are some who say the film Equinox "inspired" The Evil Dead...
I'm probably in the minority, but I don't have a problem with a filmmaker/writer being "inspired" by a previous work. I also like Equinox for a similiar reason, because some of its special effects appeared to be "inspired" by Ray Harryhausen who, in turn, was "inspired" by Willis O'Brien.
Old 12-26-07, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cannibal Holocaust was more of the inspiration. A bunch of people go out into the jungle, they end up missing and all that's left is some film they shot which we watch.

The director had to prove to a judge, after the movie came out, that the actors were actually alive since they were hiding from the public to give the movie that little extra something.
Old 12-26-07, 10:59 PM

I don't quite understand what's the whole fuss is about since one of the versions of Within the Woods that' floating around the internet can be viewed here:
<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=8174174780798371595&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>

While you're at it why not also whine that "Clockwork", "It's Murder' or maybe even "Attack of the helping hand" aren't included on the set since they also in some way are related to the Evil Dead.

Bruce Campbell said numerous times that WtW won't be included on any of the editions (Just watch the "Reunion Panel" featurette on the Ultimate Edition) and the fact that the short was never copyrighted to begin with (and used music that wasn't theirs to begin with) doesn't help it either. There were also reports of Bruce being quite unhappy when he is approached to sign one of the copies (just don't do it people!).

I'm quite unsure how this movie got it's "lost" status since vhs copies of this (the same quality as that video online) had been passed among Evil Dead fans for years and downloads/torrents were available for who knows how long now.

If I wanted a Sam Raimi short remastered, I'd go for the classic post-Evil Dead "Cleveland Smith: Bounty Hunter":
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/939lQreVBFM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/939lQreVBFM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 12-27-07, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i'm a bit suprised that no one has leaked that cleaned up version, that supposedly was in hand, to the net.
Old 12-27-07, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Pizza
I'm probably in the minority, but I don't have a problem with a filmmaker/writer being "inspired" by a previous work. I also like Equinox for a similiar reason, because some of its special effects appeared to be "inspired" by Ray Harryhausen who, in turn, was "inspired" by Willis O'Brien.

That's true. Inspiration, homage, and outright theft can be subject to interpretation. I remember sitting in the theater while watching "Blair Witch" and thinking "where have I seen this before?". As my wife and I were leaving after the movie, I suddenly blurted out "Cannibal Halocaust!" in perhaps too loud a voice. That, and "I want my money back!" I never felt the same about "Evil Dead" and "Equinox", despite their similarities. Raimi's work was too original.
Old 12-27-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil ASh
I'm quite unsure how this movie got it's "lost" status since vhs copies of this (the same quality as that video online) had been passed among Evil Dead fans for years and downloads/torrents were available for who knows how long now.
Because there's lots of people here that won't buy anything if it isn't on DVD. Since they won't buy it on any other format, it's lost.

Another group will buy the movies on the best/preferred format they can because they care more about the movie than the media it's on.

The last group is the people that won't buy a DVD if there's no insert. "No Insert, No Sale" is the motto.
Old 12-27-07, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Because there's lots of people here that won't buy anything if it isn't on DVD. Since they won't buy it on any other format, it's lost.

Another group will buy the movies on the best/preferred format they can because they care more about the movie than the media it's on.

The last group is the people that won't buy a DVD if there's no insert. "No Insert, No Sale" is the motto.
I don't buy anything that's not on dvd (got rid of my vhs collection long time ago) and I never would buy a dvd without an insert, that's for sure. I also would never pay for Within the Woods unless it was that promised restored version. Still, being an Evil Dead fan and also being quite interested in it I've managed to see a vhs copy of it long before dvds came into general use. And I didn't live in some sort of a weird horror-freak filled neighborhood. Meaning - it was possible to see it if you wanted it badly enough. So that's for "lost"...

Now as far as restored one goes it's been said numerous times that it's just not going to happen. I'm just surprised that it still comes up so often...
Old 12-28-07, 12:17 AM
Banned

I don't buy anything that's not on dvd (got rid of my vhs collection long time ago)
I assume you are talking about pre-records here and not simply stuff you've recorded from tv for example. I would, in general, agree with this but I have tons of tapes that I still have to transfer to dvd that have hidden gems from tv that will never show up on disc.

and I never would buy a dvd without an insert, that's for sure.
How would you know until you paid for it, got it home and opened it up? Do you shake them in the store or do extensive research before buying? And what's the big deal really? The insert is usually a replica of the front art with the chapter listings on it. For this, you pass on a purchase?

I also would never pay for Within the Woods unless it was that promised restored version. Still, being an Evil Dead fan and also being quite interested in it I've managed to see a vhs copy of it long before dvds came into general use. And I didn't live in some sort of a weird horror-freak filled neighborhood. Meaning - it was possible to see it if you wanted it badly enough. So that's for "lost"...

Now as far as restored one goes it's been said numerous times that it's just not going to happen. I'm just surprised that it still comes up so often...
I think you're onto something here. They should actually release Within the Woods as a separate DVD fully restored as best as it can look for an 8mm film and gather together as many supplements as possible including new cast and director commentaries. If a company can put a little money behind this project then maybe the players can finally get paid for their time. I think that's what has been holding up this being released. The cast wants to be paid and they should. They never did originally but this is a highly sought-after title and their performances should be compensated for.
Old 12-28-07, 01:48 AM

This was my first viewing of Within the Woods, and I can guess what the unexpected legal trouble AB ran into was. We know it's not the music, and I don't think it has to do with Renaissance or anybody else in Raimi's camp wanting to keep the short from the public. My guess? It's those dastardly Parker Brothers! They couldn't get clearance from Hasbro for use of the Monopoly board game in the film. Rich Uncle Pennybags, why have you forsaken us?
Old 12-28-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I don't quite understand what's the whole fuss is about since one of the versions of Within the Woods that' floating around the internet can be viewed here:
It's a shame the original owner of this videotape didn't know what the tracking control was used for.
Old 12-28-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

101% Agree with you dude! And thanks for the Cleveland Smith: Bounty Hunter video share...

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=8174174780798371595&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>

While you're at it why not also whine that "Clockwork", "It's Murder' or maybe even "Attack of the helping hand" aren't included on the set since they also in some way are related to the Evil Dead.

Bruce Campbell said numerous times that WtW won't be included on any of the editions (Just watch the "Reunion Panel" featurette on the Ultimate Edition) and the fact that the short was never copyrighted to begin with (and used music that wasn't theirs to begin with) doesn't help it either. There were also reports of Bruce being quite unhappy when he is approached to sign one of the copies (just don't do it people!).

If I wanted a Sam Raimi short remastered, I'd go for the classic post-Evil Dead "Cleveland Smith: Bounty Hunter":
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/939lQreVBFM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/939lQreVBFM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 12-28-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For now, let it put to rest.. is is Highly Unlikely to happen....

Originally Posted by cracksky
I think you're onto something here. They should actually release Within the Woods as a separate DVD fully restored as best as it can look for an 8mm film and gather together as many supplements as possible including new cast and director commentaries. If a company can put a little money behind this project then maybe the players can finally get paid for their time. I think that's what has been holding up this being released. The cast wants to be paid and they should. They never did originally but this is a highly sought-after title and their performances should be compensated for.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.