Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So, how is the Constant Gardner? (Fernando Meirelles, dir. of city of god)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-22-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Story looks great and its from the director of City of God, so i'm there no matter what. I was just wondering if its as good as early reviews have pointed out.
its got a 90% rating on rotten tomatoes.
Old 08-25-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

release date is tomorrow, and its currently got a 81% rating on rotten tomatoes.

crap, nevermind, its release date is 8/30

Last edited by Rypro 525; 08-25-05 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-26-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
More importantly, does Rachel Weisz get nekkid?
Old 08-26-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
More importantly, does Rachel Weisz get nekkid?
apparently (got this from imdb, and contains a possible spoiler
Spoiler:
There is a nude scene with her, but it's not sexual. She's shown getting out of the bathtub while very pregnant. Sorry.
Old 08-27-05, 08:30 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Spoiler:
There is a nude scene with her, but it's not sexual. She's shown getting out of the bathtub while very pregnant. Sorry.
Yes, there's a scene like this. The pregnant material is amazingly seamless. Very impressive work.
Old 08-27-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I would rate City of God as a 10/10, and this would get a 9/10. Very very good film.
Old 08-27-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Spoiler:
Why spoil that? You can see it in the trailer.

Rachel + Pregnant = Giantrobo >
Old 08-27-05, 07:04 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I would rate City of God as a 10/10, and this would get a 9/10. Very very good film.
Did you feel at all that the camerawork was a little out of control? That it took you out of the film?
Old 09-10-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Saw this recently. Good movie when I reflect upon it. I must admit that while it has nothing to do with the plot of the movie or its story, it helped seeing City of God
beforehand, as the style is practically the same. Great performances from Fiennes and Weisz, though I could have done without looking at her bare butt.
Old 09-10-05, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought it was great.

Great.

So nice to have a film, especially at this time of year, that doesn't assume the audience is stupid.
Old 09-10-05, 10:00 PM

Great film. I walked out of the theatre thankful the film didn't treat me like an idiot.

And Rachel Weisz doesan incredible job. Best I've seen her in.

It's incredible, a film that assumes its audience has 1.) Seen a map and 2.) can locate Africa on it.
Old 09-11-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought it took a tired old plot:
Spoiler:
evil pharmaceutical company
and did next to nothing with it. Good acting and intelligent in its politically correct way, but it near bored me to death. I had been very much looking forward to it. Very disappointing.

**/****

If one wants to see a great film about a real African tragedy I recommend Hotel Rwanda.

Originally Posted by scott shelton
Did you feel at all that the camerawork was a little out of control? That it took you out of the film?
It drove me nuts. I could see no reason to use hand-held cameras (which seemed to be deliberately shaken even more than would be done naturally) other than to appear "artsy' or to give it a documentary feel which I think was totally unnecessary for this material. It constantly took me out of the film.

Edit: After seeing the film last week I wanted to post my thoughts but couldn't find a thread and didn't want to start one. Silly me, I searched under "Constant Gardener," not "Constant Gardner."

Last edited by movielib; 09-11-05 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-11-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib
If one wants to see a great film about a real African tragedy I recommend Hotel Rwanda.
I thought that was a very good film, but I thought Gardener was miles better. HR suffered from oversentimental sap that would make even Spielberg cringe.
Old 09-11-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

very "good" movie, great acting.... but in the end, it was a little over the top, drama-wise, and I wouldn't recommend it most. I kinda know what I was getting into, when I saw it had Ralph Fiennes heheh.
Old 02-01-06, 09:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
is this really the most recent thread?

this was such a fantastic, knock you on your ass movie that captivated me. Ralph was just so good. finishing what she couldn't...he showed such a palette of emotion right down to the dramatic end. he was utterly amazing!

as much as i love Terrance Howard, i think he got Ralph's spot this year in Best Actor. i thought "Hustle and Flow" was very good, but not great and i think his nom was more based on "Crash" in which he was amazing, but that would be supporting and i htink he should have gotten nom'd in that over any, especially William Hurt. therefore if TH was nom'd in support, Ralph would have been nom'd in best. but, that is just me.
Old 02-01-06, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
is this really the most recent thread?

this was such a fantastic, knock you on your ass movie that captivated me. Ralph was just so good. finishing what she couldn't...he showed such a palette of emotion right down to the dramatic end. he was utterly amazing!

as much as i love Terrance Howard, i think he got Ralph's spot this year in Best Actor. i thought "Hustle and Flow" was very good, but not great and i think his nom was more based on "Crash" in which he was amazing, but that would be supporting and i htink he should have gotten nom'd in that over any, especially William Hurt. therefore if TH was nom'd in support, Ralph would have been nom'd in best. but, that is just me.
Ralph didn't really get nods for any of the major awards outisde Britian (GG, SAG, etc...), so deserving or not, I doubt he would have gotten Howard's spot. Russell Crowe would have been my guess for next in line.
Old 02-02-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just caught this last night. Great movie, but during a couple scenes the shaky camera was just very, very un-necessary. This is the type of film you want to watch again right away, to see what you missed the first time. Overall, I'd give it an 8 or 9 outta 10. Both Rachel Weisz and Fiennes deserve some kind of nod for this film, they were both terrific.
Old 03-03-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Question for anyone who watched it:
Spoiler:
Was Weisz cheating on her husband? Because either the characters looked too much alike or one of the flashbacks passed me without knowing.
Old 03-08-06, 07:51 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Daniel-A
Question for anyone who watched it:
Spoiler:
Was Weisz cheating on her husband? Because either the characters looked too much alike or one of the flashbacks passed me without knowing.
No.

I watched this last night. Very good. A little too slow in places and definitely a one time viewing for me, but still was an extremely well done film. Fiennes was great. Weisz I didn't get the hype or why she got the oscar.
Old 03-20-06, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw it on DVD, very good movie and the director did a great job of filming. Certainly not as jumpy as City of God was.

Very good movie, definately worth a rental.
Old 03-21-06, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great movie? Yes. Somber, knock your socks off political thriller with terrific performances.

Replay value? Probably low - not certain. Left the theater feeling like it might not garnish many more viewings. Worth a rental.
Old 03-21-06, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Weisz I didn't get the hype or why she got the oscar.
I agree. Just because the movie had a political message it was a good performance? That's like giving an Oscar to Crash.
Old 03-21-06, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really liked this movie (really good acting, good story line and characters, etc.), but I thought it had one major flaw . . . it wasn't a true story. In the end it seemed a little hollow to me that any emotion that I felt during the movie was against something/somebody that didn't exist and never really happened. Part of the point of the film was obviously (to me anyway) to get people worked up and inspire them to go out and make a difference over the injustices that you see . . . but since they are made up, it kind of leaves you at a loss as to how you would get connected in if you wanted to.

Hope that made sense . . .

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Originally Posted by movielib
I thought that was a very good film, but I thought Gardener was miles better. HR suffered from oversentimental sap that would make even Spielberg cringe.
I liked Hotel Rwanda a lot, as well, but see Donnacha's point. If you want an even better version of that story (and, therefore, an even greater "film about a real African tragedy" ), check out Sometimes In April . . . very powerful. x 2
Old 03-25-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by talemyn
I really liked this movie (really good acting, good story line and characters, etc.), but I thought it had one major flaw . . . it wasn't a true story. In the end it seemed a little hollow to me that any emotion that I felt during the movie was against something/somebody that didn't exist and never really happened. Part of the point of the film was obviously (to me anyway) to get people worked up and inspire them to go out and make a difference over the injustices that you see . . . but since they are made up, it kind of leaves you at a loss as to how you would get connected in if you wanted to.
I agree. It's a weird dynamic when watching a film of political fiction.