Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

So, is it worth it to get a HDTV w/o digital cable?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-05, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Well, right now, i don't have digital cable/sat/etc, and was looking to get a 53" RPTV. Is it worth it or not?
Old 08-21-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was for me just to watch anamorphic DVDs in progressive mode on a large screen. I had my HDTV for 3 years while waiting for my crappy cable company to offer HD channels.
Old 08-21-05, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I have an HDTV, but I'm not home enough to warrant paying out the ass for cable, so I bought a power antenna that picks up terrestrial HD programming and digital signals from the local channels. So I've got that, plus my Denon 2900 player and all my DVD's. I'm content with not having cable.
Old 08-21-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The "only" reason I bought an HDTV is that my cable company packages HD with their DVR. Since I was already paying for the DVR and HD essentially came with it, I figured I should get a tv to take full advantage.
Old 08-21-05, 10:14 AM

It all depends on your viewing habits. If you watch 90% TV programming, then you will probably be fairly disappointed in the picture. On a side note, if you get a built-in HD tuner and are close enough to local HD towers to pull in the HD locals, then you would be very happy with the addition of HD programming to your viewing choices (for free after the cost of the tuner and antenna).

On the other hand, if you watch more DVDs than TV, then you'll probably be very happy with such a purchase.
Old 08-21-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
well, the one i was looking at was the panasonic PT-53WX54 and it says it has an atsc tuner. i do have a roof top antenna, but it's ancient. i really don't watch too much TV, except for some basic broadcast stations like ABC, FOX, etc. i'm in LA, so hopefully i'll be close enough to the local towers.
Old 08-21-05, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Well I can tell you I've just fired up OTA HD in my media room this week. The picture is much better then anything I was getting out of Dishnetwork, and I don't have a "true" HD TV (using an X-1 PJ). The quality is on par with my DVD player in some cases.
Old 08-21-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by D.Pham00
well, the one i was looking at was the panasonic PT-53WX54 and it says it has an atsc tuner. i do have a roof top antenna, but it's ancient. i really don't watch too much TV, except for some basic broadcast stations like ABC, FOX, etc. i'm in LA, so hopefully i'll be close enough to the local towers.
I have the same TV and I get great OTA in my area. ABC, CBS, NBC, UPN, WB and FOX all come in clear with the 20 year old antenna on my house. You just have to know where to get the strongest signal. Try this site; it's really helpful.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx
Old 08-22-05, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had an HDTV before HD cable also. It's GREAT for DVD's and/or XBOX games
Old 08-22-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
If you get a TV with HD-built-in, you can always go the cable card route. That will bring your rate down some (like $5).
Old 08-22-05, 10:44 AM

In my opinion, if you are getting a new TV, then it is a total waste of money not to get one that is at least HD-ready. Even if you don't use the HD at this moment, you may in the future, and if you buy a "basic" TV now, you'll be kicking yourself in a few years.
Old 08-23-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Haven't had cable or a sat in forever since it's mostly worthless, other than sports, to me. But I've owned my HDTV for at least three years and use it for nothing but DVDs. So, IMO, that would be a yes. But, if you're a TV junkie, I dunno.
Old 08-23-05, 06:53 PM

I just have the basic non-digital cable here and all I did was go into my local office, said I just got a HDTV and needed an HD box. Not paying any extra here for the box or the service and I recieve all the OTA channels. Might be due to location (VERY tough to get OTA in this area) and that is why, or I am just lucky. (Comcast if you are wondering)
Old 08-24-05, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,804 Likes on 1,127 Posts
I don't have cable and I'm not going to have cable/Satt anytime soon. However, I just bought a Samsung HDTV (CRT w tuner). Mind you, I posted in another thread here how I was "that close" to returning this set. I really had forgotten that DVD's aren't HD so I was really disappointed with the picture. Well, just this evening I bought a $30 rabbit ear from Savon and OH...MY...GOD. The 1st channel to show up in HD was KNBC channel 4 and Jay Leno was on. Man, was I immediately impressed. I was shocked at how detailed, clear, and wonderfully letterboxed the Jay's show was. As I type this I 'm waiting to see Conan in HD. Anyway,I started flipping through the channels and I had no idea so many stations had HD channels along side their regular channels. This made it easy to see the differences in picture quality. KOCE is sending test HD signal out and they're broadcasting select HD shows and they look incredible.

I don't know what HD looks like on a 53 RPTV but I hope my experience helps...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-24-05 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-25-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It is definitely worth it. I use OTA and get a great picture using a cheapo K-Mart rabbit ear antennae. I live in the flats in San Diego so I don't have a mountains blocking signals from nearby towers. We have 2 main towers here in SD and I think there is another in TJ and depending on the weather, I sometimes have to rotate my antennae to hone in on a signal. Warm weather seems to affect it. Most of the time, I just leave it alone and can get everything.
Old 08-27-05, 01:57 AM

Go to www.antennaweb.org, and you'll be able to see what off-air HD stations you should be able to receive in your neighborhood.
Old 08-27-05, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
if you dont plan on getting any hd content, do what I did and get the panasonic 42" plasma. I got it for under 2k and if you do decide to get HD cable, it will display it but with less resolution than a HD set.