Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Best DVD catalogue site?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-05, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best DVD catalogue site?

I noticed after randomly checking Guzzlefish and reading some threads already covering the subject, that it is down for good.

Who has replaced them as the leader in DVD cataloging? I have a extensive DVD and CD collection I would like to inventory on-line. Can anyone offer suggestions? If they do books, all the better. Thanks.
Old 08-20-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/
Old 08-20-05, 12:55 PM

I second that.
Old 08-20-05, 01:07 PM

i think dvdspot.com is best.
Old 08-20-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
As you can see by my sig I use both DVDAficionado and DVDProfiler. I do like DVDAf's folders and simple interface... but I lean towards DVDProfiler because:

1) Your collection also resides on your PC; no need to be online to view it.
2) Customizable "tags" makes it easy to sort your list; i.e. unwatched/loaded DVDs.
3) Run and print out lists. I keep a list of unwatched movies handy.
4) Detailed info on each disc. You can also indicate where and how much you paid. Run a report and see how much you've spent on your collection.
5) When others view your list online it's quicker to load since only 1 cover is viewed at a time. This is good for family/friends who are still on dial-up.

Okay, I like gadgets and there's more to play with
Old 08-20-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another fan of DVD Spot here. My collection there is linked in my sig if you want to check it out. I'm a Netflix junkie so I really like the way it also lets you track rentals.
Old 08-20-05, 01:44 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most people here will poo-poo it but, to the best of my knowledge, the original DVDTracker (which requires a $10 yearly sunscription fee) is the only one that instantly tracks how much you paid for your DVD library versus the suggested retail prices and averages them. If only one other tracker site would incorporate such a feature for free, I'd jump ship, but until then, I stay a subscriber...

Oh yeah, and I love that they allow me to override the default title entries and write in a title exactly as I would prefer it (e.g. TWELVE MONKEYS--Special Edition, in keeping with how the title is shown in the onscreen credits of the film, rather than 12 MONKEYS--Special Edition, the title used by the film's marketers, which every other tracker forces me to use).

Last edited by Filmmaker; 08-20-05 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-20-05, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Most people here will poo-poo it but, to the best of my knowledge, the original DVDTracker (which requires a $10 yearly sunscription fee) is the only one that instantly tracks how much you paid for your DVD library versus the suggested retail prices and averages them. If only one other tracker site would incorporate such a feature for free, I'd jump ship, but until then, I stay a subscriber...

Oh yeah, and I love that they allow me to override the default title entries and write in a title exactly as I would prefer it (e.g. TWELVE MONKEYS--Special Edition, in keeping with how the title is shown in the onscreen credits of the film, rather than 12 MONKEYS--Special Edition, the title used by the film's marketers, which every other tracker forces me to use).
Yeah, I'll "poo-poo" DVDTracker.com. Last year it took almost 10 months for an update on new release DVD information to be put into the system and since Feb 2005 (the last update of info) there HAS NOT BEEN ANY UPDATE on New Releases! I've been using it almost since the very beginning days that it opened up shop and if it weren't for the fact that I have 1900+ DVDs on the it, I'd jump ship to another tracking program in a heart beat. But I'll agree with you on one thing, I like the edit feature and the price averages menu a lot.

If anyone knows a program or site that will allow me to import all my DVDTracker information into another program, let me know which one. As for now I keep paying the price and exporting the data to my computer as an Excel File.
Old 08-20-05, 03:12 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oldone, I'm curious--since you also enjoy the edit feature, why the reliance on DVD updates being provided? I keep seeing so much negative feedback about the lack of updates, but if you can do it yourself, what's the big problem?
Old 08-20-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
Old 08-20-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
I prefer DVDPROFILER and then DVDSpot
Old 08-20-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also use DVDProfiler. Great program, haven't had any problems with it.
Old 08-20-05, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
DVDProfiler
Old 08-20-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I use DVD Profiler, but they've been slow in adding new releases. I have a stack that needs to be entered. I may switch to something else that can keep up with what has been released.
Old 08-20-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My particular preference is DVDSpot

For CD's, though it isn't an online catalogue site, is Rate Your Music
Old 08-20-05, 05:05 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I use DVD Profiler, but they've been slow in adding new releases. I have a stack that needs to be entered. I may switch to something else that can keep up with what has been released.
Same with me, but after about a month or so, I submit them myself. I'm lazy but will submit the DVDs if no one else will. Isn't Profiler the one which contains the most detailed information?
Old 08-20-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use DVDaf and like it, but more features would be nice (like sorting by production year). I also don't list boxsets (because if someone's looking for a specific title, they wouldn't know that it was in a boxset), so I wish they'd add some feature to obviate this (I really can't think of one myself, though). I like DVDProfiler because of the advanced features, but I'm too lazy to learn it.
Old 08-20-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by natevines
I use DVDaf and like it, but more features would be nice (like sorting by production year). I also don't list boxsets (because if someone's looking for a specific title, they wouldn't know that it was in a boxset), so I wish they'd add some feature to obviate this (I really can't think of one myself, though). I like DVDProfiler because of the advanced features, but I'm too lazy to learn it.
You can sort your DVDs at DVDaf just about any way you want by clicking "My DVDs" and then "Folder Hierarchy." Also, you can "Sort Overwrite" by clicking "My DVDs" and then "Edit My Titles."

You can check out my collection in my sig as an example. I sort mine by actor, director, genre, etc.

Last edited by fryinpan1; 08-20-05 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-20-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD Profiler here.
Old 08-20-05, 06:05 PM

deleted

Last edited by Linko; 08-20-05 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-20-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definately a big :thumbs: for DVDProfiler. Even though they've been slow adding things as of late, I like the software and having a local copy of my data available to me.
Old 08-20-05, 06:26 PM

Haven't used any others; DVDProfiler does what I need.
Old 08-21-05, 08:52 AM

Thanks for all of the choices guys. I skimmed through alot of the recommended sites and visited alot of the links you guys have in your sigs.

I'm getting error messages like this:

Warning: error_log(/opt/www/htdocs/hidden/logs/debug-2005-08-21.log): failed to open stream: Read-only file system in /opt/www/htdocs/global.php on line 1025
on the DVD Spot website. Don't know why....

That is the only site I noticed that gives you a estimate of how much $$ all of your DVD's are worth, and how many are owned. (Like Guzzlefish use to do) Do any of the other sites do this? I like the look of DVDAF, but saw no total $$ amount.
Old 08-21-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVDSpot is the place for me. DVD Af started adding things to my collection that not only did I not own, but weren't even out yet. DVD Profiler is too slow at updating.

DVD Spot has the major new releases on the day of and sometimes before street date, and anything else can be added by the users and is put on the site within 24 hours. Croy is always ready to listen to any suggestions as to how he can improve the site with new features.
Old 08-21-05, 10:00 AM

Unfortunately, I'm getting "Forbidden" messages everytime I try to regsiter at DVD spot, so I guess they're out of the question.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.