Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joe Ranft, head of story at Pixar, dies in car crash

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1001017139

Pixar Animation's Joe Ranft, 45

By Sheigh Crabtree
Joe Ranft, Pixar Animation Studios' head of story for more than a decade and a cornerstone of the company's creative team, died Tuesday when the car he was riding in plunged into the ocean after running off the road in Mendocino County, Calif. He was 45.

A spokeswoman for the Mendocino County Sheriff-Coroner's Office confirmed Wednesday that Ranft was one of two people who died when the 2004 Honda Element they were traveling in veered off the road while heading north on Highway 1.

The California Highway Patrol said the crash occurred at about 3 p.m. Tuesday as the driver tried to regain control of the car after swerving when he headed into a tight left curve. The car fell 130 feet over the side of the road, overturning twice before it landed in the water near the mouth of the Navarro River where it meets the Pacific Ocean, the CHP said.

The driver, identified by the Coroner's Office as Elegba Earl, 32, of Los Angeles, also was killed in the crash. The third person in the car, whom the CHP identified as Eric Frierson, 39, of Los Angeles, survived by climbing through the sun roof. He was hospitalized with moderate injuries at Mendocino Coast Hospital, according to officer Robert Simas of the CHP office in Ukiah.

Ranft was a co-writer on 1995's "Toy Story," for which he earned an Oscar nomination, and 1998's "A Bug's Life." Before Pixar, he was a leading member of the story department at Walt Disney Feature Animation, where he was a writer on 1991's "Beauty and the Beast" and 1994's "The Lion King."

"Joe was an important and beloved member of the Pixar family, and his loss is of great sorrow to all of us and to the animation industry as a whole," the Emeryville, Calif.-based company said Wednesday. In addition to his work as a writer, Ranft performed the voices for numerous characters in Pixar features.

Director Henry Selick, Ranft's friend and longtime collaborator, called him "the story giant of our generation."

Before joining Pixar, Ranft worked with Selick as a storyboard supervisor on 1993's "Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas." Selick met Ranft at Disney in the early 1980s, and his first impression of Ranft was that he was "a huge guy" who was well over 6 feet tall.

"His drawing at the time was really crude, but he was the sweetest, funniest guy," Selick said. "I've never seen anyone try to improve himself as much as Joe did over the years."

He also was highly versatile, Selick recalled.

"He could do these beautiful sweet gags for a family film and then do these weird, depraved cartoons of anyone who needed to be skewered," Selick said. "We'd do hundreds of drawings, and Joe was always the guy who was able to go back in and say, 'This is about the process; let's try it again.' "

Ranft's voice-over work for Pixar included such characters as Heimlich in "A Bug's Life" and Wheezy the Penguin in "Toy Story 2."

Born in Pasadena in 1960, Ranft was raised in Whittier, Calif., where as a child he developed a fondness for performing magic tricks. He was a classmate of Pixar's John Lasseter at the California Institute of the Arts in the 1970s.

After two years at CalArts, Ranft joined Disney in 1980. In 1992, he reunited with Lasseter at Pixar, where his early work included pitching and storyboarding the first sequence for "Toy Story," the Green Army Men sketch.

"Every film Joe's name was on was successful artistically and financially," Selick said. "Sometimes he contributed small details, sometimes the whole thing. He was a story giant of our generation."

Cynthia Littleton contributed to this report.
He also was the voice of Heimlich in A Bug's Life, Wheezy the Penguin in Toy Story 2, and Jacques in Finding Nemo. Sad news.
Old 08-18-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 08-18-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
You can't escape it.
Old 08-18-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well this is not good news.
Old 08-18-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
R.i.p.
Old 08-18-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Ohmygod.... very sad news
Old 08-18-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Old 08-18-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Sounds like he was a true pioneer...R.I.P.
Old 08-18-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Morf
He also was the voice of Heimlich in A Bug's Life, Wheezy the Penguin in Toy Story 2, and Jacques in Finding Nemo. Sad news.
Not to hijack, as this is sad news for the animation community and to fans of any of the movies he had a hand in...

...but do you realize you repeated information that was already in the story? Just a friendly heads-up.
Old 08-18-05, 01:26 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sad news indeed
Old 08-18-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rip
Old 08-18-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Very sad news
Old 08-18-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 08-18-05, 02:34 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

very sad
Old 08-18-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Amazing that the third guy in the car survived.
Old 08-18-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Joe Ranft rest in peace.

What was he doing in a Honda Element? I was expecting them to say he took a turn too quickly in his Ferrari or something.
Old 08-18-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Very sad news
Old 08-18-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
"Caaaaaaaandy corn.... HERE! Let me help you to finish it!!"

As long as there are children and the childlike in this world, he will live forever.
Old 08-18-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Wow. Very sad indeed.

I always thought he was just a Pixar guy until I caught his name during the credits on the Lion King dvd when it came out.

Quite an amazing resume when you see all his work listed together:

Oliver & co.
the Rescuers Down Under
Beauty & the Beast
the Lion King
Fantasia 2000

Nightmare Before Christmas
James & the Giant Peach
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Toy Story
A Bug's Life
Toy Story 2
Monsters, Inc.
Finding Nemo
the Incredibles

he will definitely be missed.
Old 08-19-05, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Rip
Old 08-19-05, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Whenever something like this happens, I find myself comparing...

F'rinstance, when someone like Luther Vandross or Aaliyah dies, I thought about all those idiot rappers that use violence [or the amount of times they've been shot] as a marketing ploy and how they don't seem to value life [theirs or others], nor do they contribute anything positive to society.

Now we have someone like Joe, who's able to help breathe life and put a heart and a soul into animated characters while there's someone like Eisner who's done nothing but run everything he touched into the ground. And i'd like to say it's just "my" opinion regarding Eisner, but I think anyone that has the slightest interest in Disney will agree that it's true.

Of course, Eisner or 50 Cent could be great human beings if you know them personally, but it doesn't show...

Oh well, these are just some things that go through my mind when I hear someone who's actually contributing something to society [famous or non] is taken too soon..
Old 08-19-05, 08:28 PM

This is very sad news my local paper had nothing on this story,well rest in peace and go with god my son..
Old 08-19-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm sorry to hear it. From what I've read, it seems his contributions have been invaluable.