Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Can anyone reccomend a region-free capable player available in a store like Best Buy?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Can anyone reccomend a region-free capable player available in a store like Best Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-05, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hiya. I wasn't sure what to search for (tried "region free best buy" and "region free B&M" but couldn't find anything useful), so I figured I'd start a new topic; please lock/delete if this is covered elsewhere.

Anyway: I got home from work today to discover my apartment had been broken into, and as one of the few things they took was my reliable Toshiba 3900, I am now in the market for a new region-free player. Are there any region-free (hackable or otherwise) players currently available like the 3900 or the old CyberHome which can be found in a retail store? I don't need videophile quality since my TV is just a 27" tube - all it needs to do is play stuff from all regions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-17-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Philips DV642 $59.99 @ www.bestbuy.com simple one time remote code/hack for all region playability.

Koss KD365 $39.95 @ www.sears.com same kind of remote code/hack as well.
Old 08-19-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by buckee1
Philips DV642 $59.99 @ www.bestbuy.com simple one time remote code/hack for all region playability.

Koss KD365 $39.95 @ www.sears.com same kind of remote code/hack as well.
Yeah .. what he said. I'd also offer the Cyberhome 300 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1069297420815

.... 'cept it's a POS. ... well, considering I had to return two of them. Yeah, I know .. why am I recommending it. Well .. it's a hit or miss. You either have really good or bad luck gauging responses from other forums and this one on it. Ultimately, I ended up spending four times as much on a Malata and so far have been satisfied with it.

In any case, here's some idea on how to make the Philips (which I would recommend over the Cyberhome) and Cyberhome R-free ....

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.ph...&Search=Search

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.ph...ome+CH-DVD+300

I can confirm that the coding from this site does work on both players effectively. The only reason why I went with the Malata is due to it's already hardware modded capability.
Old 08-21-05, 12:16 PM

Daewoo 9200N $49.99 and less at Target, region free remote hackable .
Old 08-21-05, 05:27 PM
Cool New Member

if you can find one still an amw s99 plus it does a decent pal to ntsc conversion too. I got mine at circuit city around 2003/2004 can't remember
Old 09-01-05, 09:37 PM

yeeeeee-haaaaaaaHHHHHHH! just bought the philips 642 player from best buy for 53.99. got home plugged it in, did the five button hack and now i'm region free! bring on imports of iron monkey, ong-bak, hero, and house of flying daggers! i'm so stoked! thanks for the tips on this player!
Old 09-02-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleSaint
yeeeeee-haaaaaaaHHHHHHH! just bought the philips 642 player from best buy for 53.99. got home plugged it in, did the five button hack and now i'm region free! bring on imports of iron monkey, ong-bak, hero, and house of flying daggers! i'm so stoked! thanks for the tips on this player!
Congrats!