Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Profiler...how to add 2 of same DVD's?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-05, 09:34 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

I have 2 "Sin City" with different covers, but because they have same UPC I cannot add the 2nd and get its' profile. I can't add by title or anything. Does anybody know what I can do?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-17-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott1598
I have 2 "Sin City" with different covers, but because they have same UPC I cannot add the 2nd and get its' profile. I can't add by title or anything. Does anybody know what I can do?

Thanks in advance.
You can't add 2 movies with the same UPC what you can do, is to manually add it, and you won't be able to contribute it.
Old 08-17-05, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do something like add (red cover) and (blue cover) or (1999) and (2005) to the titles. If you do that to the first one then you can add the 2nd one and don't even have to put () around anything. Often I put the star (Cary Grant) etc. of the movie along side the title so I remember on some of the more obscure ones I have.
Old 08-17-05, 10:37 PM

even if you change the name a little bit, it won't recognize and download the profile or image.
Old 08-17-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How do you manually add a title... Its bugging me that I can't add "Laguna Beach season 1" or "tru calling season 2"
Old 08-18-05, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not to threadcrap and no offense, but why would you have two copies of the same DVD? I can understand having two versions of the same movie (different editions, cuts, etc.), but two of the exact same DVD? Just cuz of the different covers? I never understood why people would buy the 4-pack of Reservoir Dogs just to have all the different covers. It seems like a waste of money to me. If you really need more than 1 of the covers available, why not just return one of the DVDs sans slipcover? The UPCs are the same.

K
Old 08-18-05, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Add the second copy using DiscID.
Old 08-18-05, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Too bad you don't use DVDAficionado. They actually have all the different slip-cover Sin City versions listed seperately
Old 08-19-05, 06:41 PM

Anyone have another UPC I can use, like Canada or something? I am desperate...
Old 08-19-05, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is DVD Profiler normally slow in adding new releases? I have several new ones that I can't add yet.
Old 08-20-05, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Download the existing Sin City movie profile and manually change the UPC number slightly - add a number on the end perhaps. DO NOT SUBMIT TO THE MASTER DATABASE or a whole bunch of Profiler users will be displeased. Then download the movie profile again with its proper UPC and you'll have two. Be aware the one with the altered UPC will not get any updates from the master database, so you may need to edit and update the info manually.
Old 08-20-05, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
Download the existing Sin City movie profile and manually change the UPC number slightly - add a number on the end perhaps. DO NOT SUBMIT TO THE MASTER DATABASE or a whole bunch of Profiler users will be displeased. Then download the movie profile again with its proper UPC and you'll have two. Be aware the one with the altered UPC will not get any updates from the master database, so you may need to edit and update the info manually.
you can't edit a UPC once it is in there.
Old 08-20-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you can't edit a UPC once it is in there.
yeah, it's easy. From the list of your collection, hilight the disc you want to alter, then select "DVD" from the top menu and click "Change UPC".
Old 08-20-05, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Is DVD Profiler normally slow in adding new releases? I have several new ones that I can't add yet.

Maybe if its not in the database you need to add, there is an update every week. you might have something nobody else has purchased.
Old 09-28-05, 05:40 PM

yeah, it's easy. From the list of your collection, hilight the disc you want to alter, then select "DVD" from the top menu and click "Change UPC".
you can't change it to something you already have. this sucks!!
Old 09-28-05, 09:17 PM
Cool New Member

Check the DVD Profiler skins forum. You might find a skin that has the capability of storing / displaying multiple covers. Good Luck
Old 09-28-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you can't change it to something you already have. this sucks!!
Yeah, but you can change something you already have to something else. I would suggest taking each Sin City version you have and adding a number to the end of the official UPC. (BUT don't submit invalid UPCs to the master database or many users will be displeased.)

Idea #52 - Try adding an animated GIF as cover art, which cycles through all the Sin City cover versions you've got. I haven't tested this method, but DVD Profiler uses an Internet Explorer browser-type display, so chances are good it would animate.
Old 09-29-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, but you can change something you already have to something else. I would suggest taking each Sin City version you have and adding a number to the end of the official UPC. (BUT don't submit invalid UPCs to the master database or many users will be displeased.)

Idea #52 - Try adding an animated GIF as cover art, which cycles through all the Sin City cover versions you've got. I haven't tested this method, but DVD Profiler uses an Internet Explorer browser-type display, so chances are good it would animate.
That animated gif idea is cool! I might try that for the fun of it!
Old 10-06-05, 06:25 AM

That would be a good idea for box sets like thinpacks that have different covers for each disk, too.