Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 40-Year-Old Virgin Review Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-05, 11:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The other thread went kaput, so it's time for a redux version.

Ebert and Roeper gave this one two thumbs "way" up.
Old 08-14-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Simply put, if you're a fan of Apatow's Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared, you're going to love this movie. All the heart and soul his two television projects had are all here in Apatow's first big screen outing as writer and director. Unlike Wedding Crashers which was an R-rated comedy which played it safe, 40 Year Old Virgin is raunch at it's finest. Lots of profanity, lots of sexual content, and it's fair share of nudity. I'm hoping that the crowd that made Wedding Crashers a hit all come out to the theaters one more time this summer to help 40 Year Old Virgin a hit. This film deserves to be a hit, but we'll see how the weekend treats it.

From the previous thread that went "kaput" ...

I saw a preview of this last night and this is the film that Wedding Crashers was trying to be and failed at. The film, with Judd Apatow brilliantly at helm, is able to mesh the crude sex comedy genre with the romantic comedy genre and he holds nothing back. While Wedding Crashers was a two hour film that had more plot than "laugh out loud" moments, Apatow and Steve Carell are able to keep the film's two hour running time at a kinetic pace flowing in from joke to joke while still being able to maintain a genuine, down-to-earth plot. Then again, Apatow is the man who brought Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared to the world. Basically, it's no shock that the film has a very down-to-earth charm; it just makes one more being able to indentify with the characters more than Vince Vaughn, Owen Wilson, and the unlikeable supporting cast of Wedding Crashers. It also helps that the "bigger" laughs in the film are actually plausible in real life and are not just a work of fiction. There's no midnight rapes and over-the-top gay characters in this film. Nope. Just regular people trying to help someone (who happens to be like a few people on this board) get laid.

One of the major problems I had with Wedding Crashers was that Vaughn was the only funny person in the film. Everybody else was simply not and there was a lot of wasted talent. With 40 Year Old Virgin, Carell is not the only person here to get the biggest laughs. The supporting cast give it their all as well. Paul Rudd, Seth Rogen (an Apatow alumni), and Romany Malco are fucking superb as Andy's co-workers and Catherine Keener is very likeable as Carrell's love interest.

One more thing to mention: the last five minutes of the film do a complete 180. While my friend and I were almost near tears during the last five minutes, the entire theater became dead silent while going, "What the fuck was that?" I thought the film's ending was a perfect way to end a film (and it's a fucking brilliant way to end a comedy), but some others didn't get the joke.

This is and probably will end up being one of the best comedies of the year and if I hear anyone say, "Wedding Crashers was better," I will throw it down with you fistacuffs style (like how I already did with Groucho ).
So yes, go see this movie.

Also, of note, the film has been edited from when I've seen it by about ten minutes or so. The cut I saw of the film would've lasted 130 minutes if it had closing credits attached. From what I've seen (especially with my local theater's screening times), the finished film now runs a little bit under 120 minutes with closing credits. While I'm a bit sad, Apatow has confirmed that the extended cut on DVD would be 20 minutes longer than the theatrical cut.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 08-14-05 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-14-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really looking forward to this, and the Ebert & Roeper big thumbs up made me even more interested. Wow, could we actually have a good film released in August?
Old 08-15-05, 12:00 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by dcprules
Wow, could we actually have a good film released in August?
It's happened before. And it will happen again.
Old 08-15-05, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to check this out. I liked Wedding Crashers a lot but agreed it could've been more funny and less romantic.
Old 08-15-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I just have to say this, I wanted to see it again after seeing it the first time. Then managed to get into another test screening of it.

This film is god damn funny. If wedding crashers made so much, I can only see this film doing that sort of success. It's funny. Beyond funny than Wedding crashers. It has heart, it has comedy and it has its share of nudity.
Old 08-15-05, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
One complaint...

Why is his name Andy? I mean jesus I have enough problems in my life .
Spoiler:
psst...my name is Andy
And I know Im gonna hear it forever about this movie from my friends.. oh well.
Old 08-19-05, 08:26 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Some blurbs from MetaCritic:

Entertainment Weekly Owen Gleiberman
Buoyantly clever and amusing.

Los Angeles Times Carina Chocano
Takes a premise that, in less competent, less empathetic hands, would have had the depth of a pancake, gives it a soul and turns it into a surprisingly sweet and funny ode to male friendship and middle-aged love.

Washington Post Michael O'Sullivan
What keeps The 40-Year-Old Virgin out of Rob Schneider territory, however, is: 1) the fact that it's pretty darn funny, and in a way that feels consistently real, and 2) the fact that it's actually an excellent date movie.

Variety Brian Lowry
Crude, sophomorically homophobic but frequently funny, pic also overstays its welcome a bit and indulges in some juvenile excesses. All told, though, The 40 Year Old Virgin delivers enough belly laughs.

Slate David Edelstein
Too long, too sexist, and too--shall we say--flaccid. But it has its moments.

Plus, Ebert's 3 1/2-star review here.
Old 08-19-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zero
Why is his name Andy? I mean jesus I have enough problems in my life .
Spoiler:
psst...my name is Andy
And I know Im gonna hear it forever about this movie from my friends.. oh well.
Mine too.
Old 08-19-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott shelton
It's happened before. And it will happen again.
When I read your post, I immediately had Charlton Heston's voiceover from Armageddon stuck in my head.
Old 08-19-05, 11:53 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

90% on Rotten Tomatoes. That's pretty darn good for a sex comedy.
Old 08-19-05, 11:53 AM

I dont know why his name is Andy, but I keep calling it the 40 Year Old Sean to my buddy.
Old 08-19-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

From the trailers, this looks like one of those movies typical romantic comedies where 3/4 of the way through, he screws up with the girl he is in love with (or his friends screw it for him) and he (and maybe with his friends help) has to rush to the airport (or trainstation) before she leaves for wherever she is going (maybe a job overseas that has no telephones).

No, seriously, it looks decent and the reviews will probably swing me to see it.
Old 08-19-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I saw this today as a matinee (there were maybe 30 people there) and I have now found my favorite comedy of recent memory. It had a laugh a minute, a lot of heart, a fantastic performance by Carrell, and some of the most original humor I've seen in a while. I cannot compare it to Wedding Crashers as I haven't seen it yet but I doubt it can top The 40-Year-Old Virgin. I highly recommend it and encourage everyone that enjoys laughing to go see it immediately, it would be a crime if this movie does not do well.

I give it
Old 08-19-05, 10:12 PM

Its looking and sounding really good, which is quite nice to hear.
Old 08-20-05, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It gets a 9.5/10 score from me.

I also saw Red Eye today, so I had a great movie watching day.
Old 08-20-05, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Goes off on tangents in several scenes, but usually funny ones. Not a whole-hearted rave, but a strong recommendation from me.
Old 08-20-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow...I was not expecting much from this movie...

and it was great from beginning to end...
Old 08-20-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hilarious movie, with good script and some heart. Sucks for all those real 40 or even 30 year old virgins out there. Must be a tough time for them, what with the billboard ads for the movie EVERYWHERE.
Old 08-20-05, 04:26 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One word:

AWESOME!
Old 08-20-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw it twice yesterday. LOVED IT. Easily the comedy of the year so far. I Loved wedding crashers, but felt apart from Vaughn and Wilson, the supporting characters weren't that great (or totally abandoned) but this movie not only has a strong lead in Carrell, but also a stellar supporting cast who gets LOTS of great material. A very funny adult flick that I will definitely see at least 2 more times...hope it makes a mint.

MATT

Boner Jams '03 Rocks!
Old 08-20-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
One of the best movies I've seen this year. Great stuff.
Old 08-20-05, 09:27 PM

Best comedy I've seen in a long time. Chalk up another gem for Judd Apatow.
Old 08-20-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was either laughing or snickering through most of this film, which was funny and on-target, while maintaining an underlying warmth towards the story at hand.

I give it 3.75 stars, or a grade of A-.
Old 08-20-05, 09:42 PM

Just saw this tonight night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It had raunch, character and a heck of a great story and managed to tell that story while still making you laugh non-stop.

I have to say that Steve Carrell makes you laugh in a way that Will Ferrell hasn't acheived yet. He just has that ability and screen presence in this movie that makes you laugh histerically but yet still feel for the guy instead of non-stop empty jokes like Will Ferrell is usually good for. Don't get me wrong, Carrell pulls a few of those also, but for the most part he's funny, yet has emotion behind it.

Go see it, hell it's at the minimum worth a matinee!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.