Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Weird geometry problem with old Mits. HDTV...please help!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-05, 09:02 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Earlier this year, my father gave me an old Mitsubishi 46" widescreen HDTV (I believe the model number is either WT-46805 or WT-46807...the TV's manufacturing date was sometime in 2001). Recently, the TV has been distorting the picture upon power-up so the picture looks "concave"...that is, the top and the bottom of the picture are bent inward. This also creates some ghosting effects. Usually it stops after a few minutes, but sometimes I have to turn the TV off and then on again to get it to display properly. I also have it hooked up to Dish Network (regular package, not HD). Does anyone have any idea what this could be, and if so, can you please explain it in as non-technical a way as possible (I'm not very good with in-depth tech stuff)? It seems weird to me that a TV that's only 4 years old would be having problems already. Thank you for any help you can provide.
Old 08-14-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is that an RPTV? If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a really popular TV. If a forum member here can't help you might want to check at HT forum or AVS. It almost sounds like it needs to be degaussed.
Old 08-14-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The convergence ICs are either failing or you have cold solder joints with them. If it's a solder joint problem which from your description it sounds like you can fix it yourself if you know how to solder. What's happening is that the TV is cold when you first turn it on and the ICs are not making a strong connection. As it warms up or if you bang the side on the bottom the ICs make the connection and the convergence pops back into place. The issue will only get worse and the longer you wait the higher the chance of the ICs themselves failing. Then you'll need to replace the ICs and solder them in again.

There are full instructions on how to fix this very common problem at the HomeTheaterSPot.com. It's available in the Mits tweaks area for paid members. The instructions include photos that show how to slide the board out of the back, which wires to disconnect, and where the chips are. It should only take a few hours as you take your time and do it right.

If you call a tech to do it at least now you already know what the problem is. They don't need to take the TV away to the shop and fix it and you shouldn't let them. Cost should be about $200 or so for a tech unless you have an extended warranty.
Old 08-15-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
What Chipmac said. This happened to my WT-46807 Mits just a few weeks ago.

I called around for several estimates on fixing/replacing the IC ship board and it was anywhere from $150 (for repairing) to $300 for replacing the board. If you got it for free, it's a great set and worth the repair.

I was itcihing to get a new set, so the problem was a perfect excuse to upgrade! I sold it to a friend of mine who was willing to repair it, and he's pretty happy with it.