Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Paradise Now

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-05, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paradise Now

The German arthouse Constantin Film AG is slowly becoming a marquee name one should look for. After their powerful production Der Untergang retelling the final hours of Hitler an even more controversial film is set to premiere in European capitals on the old Continent.
Paradise Now (co-produced by Germany, France, Holland, and Israel) tells the story of two Palestinian friends recruited as "human-bombs". The two Palestinians are to sacrifice their lives by blowing themselves to pieces in a public area of Tel Aviv, Israel. Exploring the chilling nature of suicide bombers Paradise Now is set for a limited US distribution this November 11.

The film was part of this year's Berlin Film Festival (nominated for a Golden Bear) and won the Amnesty International Film Prize. The folks over at the German Cinefacts.de are already talking DVD specs...but there is no street date as you could guess.

Paradise Now Official German Film Site:
http://www.paradise-now.film.de/html/galerie.html

Paradise Now Official German Trailer:
http://www.paradise-now.film.de/trai...iler_large.mov

Constantine Film AG Official English Site:
http://www.constantin-film.com/suchen.php

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 08-10-05 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-10-05, 06:00 AM

At the risk of another "me too" post, I recently saw this film, and thought that it was great. The entire audience sat in stunned silence while the credits rolled to the end.

Heres hoping for a relatively prompt dvd release.

Hemulen
Old 08-10-05, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this film sounds like something i will really enjoy. Please keep us updated.
Old 08-10-05, 12:11 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
saw a trailer yesterday before gus van sant's last days. first i'd heard of it and am eagerly anticipating it's exhibition here in LA.
Old 08-11-05, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Cygnet74:

Who is going to distribute this film in the US? TLA? I hope not...these people are not on my list of respectable distribs. I will be keeping an eye on the German sites...see if Constantin delivers a nice SE again. Though, I don't think it is likely that we will see a lavish set as the Der Untergang relase...this film is a multi production. For what is worth though whatever company decides to release it they could supply an endless pool of extras.

Pro-B
Old 08-11-05, 06:09 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

WiP - Warner Independent Pictures is distributing it here. funny you mentioned TLA because for a moment that's who i thought it was because i rememebr seeing their logo before one of the other trailers that day. but after checking their site i see it was le clan (aka three dancing slaves). anyway... warner independent.
Old 08-11-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well that is good news...when they release the DVD at least the transfer should be good (I hope).

Pro-B
Old 09-26-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

R1 trailer:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/warner...adise_now.html

Pro-B
Old 09-27-05, 01:31 AM

Hey Pro-B, again, thanks for the tip! I am going to see this at a movie theater here in Germany some time next week - kind of weird: me needing a US forum to point out the good flicks that are running in our movie theaters... . But hey, Pro-B is sort of international, right?

BTW: FINESTRA DI FRONTE has for some weird reason just gotten a theatrical run over here and will be watched tonight, at last! (of course subtitled - just to get HENDRIK a bit worked up on the topic!)

S
Old 11-07-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hey all, I saw this movie last night as it is playing here (Philly) in one of the art house theaters. I really enjoyed it. It does provide some insight into how these things are organised as well as some of the insight about people that would contemplate these actions. There are certains things that we see after the fact in our daly life that we might not really know how it works before the last stage, such as the martyr posters that are seen through palestine as well other details of a suicide bomber before they blow up whatever it was that they targeted. I don't want to bring politics nor political views into this discussion of this film but i do have a question. this film was entered into the oscar race as the entry for palestine but i thought the academy did not recognize palestine as a country (a nation in political definitions yes but not a state) is this correct? Wouldn't they then get eliminated from competition? Also does anyone know anything about the making of this film? interviews, reviews, etc? thanks. BTW, can't wait for the dvd, there are so many potential extras that i can think of that can be created for this film. I can even see something similar to the extras provided by criterion on their release of battle of algiers.
Old 11-07-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, it was indeed offered as Palestine's official entry but just like you I don't know how politics will play here. As far as extras go...there is a big ? here as nothing has been mentioned. As you could see above the same company that handled Der Untergang in Germany is involved with this one...wishful thinking would be that they release another massive SE. Not sure this will happen in the US.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 11-07-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I saw Paradise Now and found it to be good, but not great. While I enjoyed the film, I was always conscious that these were actors reciting dialogue that rarely rose above platitudes. I was never pulled into the story or made to care about the characters or the decision that would be made in the way that I was with, for example, the Tamil language film, "The Terrorist" (India, 1999).
Old 11-08-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Trying to discuss a film like this on a public film discussion forum.......talk about "walking on eggshells". Time to start cracking....

With the advent of cinema, governments throughout the world have both feared and utilized the power of cinema, can a single film effect so much change.........

I took in a screening of "Paradise Now" as well (this past Friday). Generally speaking, I'll side with the "it's good but not great" side of it. I didn't feel as detached from the experience as DVDTalker Yakuza Bengoshi might have, but I didn't quite fall completely under its spell either. It definitely has that indie, smaller budget vibe to it - not that that's a criticism....just pointing it out. The "interesting" aspects of the film were more consistent and more the focus of my attention over either the "entertainment" or "technically great cinema" aspects. Going further, I did enjoy the film from a travelogue perspective in that it allowed for a limited glimpse of the region, and I also enjoyed it from a cultural insight point of view. And, at no point did I feel "bored" during the viewing experience.

Even though it isn't a great film, I do still consider it to be highly recommended viewing, because.....it is an "important" film. "Important" in that it gives voice & face to the other side of the coin...........even if it is perhaps destined to be a lone voice in a vast wilderness. I'm attempting to sidestep the politics (as of now we can say I'm an apathetic moderate contrarian) of the issue but can't completely so I'll dip a toe (probably a bad idea, I should know better) in the muddy pool and come out and say that it would be nice to see something like this (especially at a time in our history where the masses are far too casual in labelling too many voices/actions of opposition with the "T" word) get an airing on one of the major networks in something like a Sunday night movie slot. :cough: "snowball's chance in hell" :cough: If after viewing a film like this (and of course a far more in-depth examination of the issue than just simply watching one movie), people choose to continue "as is" then that's the way it goes, but maybe a film like this, one that might help others to....not necessarily agree with, but at least "understand" and "consider" the opposition can at least shine a small light towards another path of resolution to the crisis at large.

Actually, part of the reason I decided to check it out is that I noticed that the Director's previous films have yet to hit R1 DVD, so I figured I'd catch it in theaters since their is always the chance it might not land on R1 DVD anytime soon (at least not as soon as the vast majority of other releases). Note: this is all just speculation on my part, who knows, maybe it will be released sooner rather than later.

You know....now that I think about....avoiding deeper discussion of this film because of the "discomfort" it may cause in examining the larger issues involved would be dealing "Paradise Now" a terrible injustice (that'd be a kick, this being the first ever "International DVD" thread to be moved over into the "Politics Talk" forum).
Old 11-09-05, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
Also does anyone know anything about the making of this film? interviews, reviews, etc?
Very interesting if you can read german or know someone who can translate in english, the "Filmheft":
http://www.bpb.de/files/8ROB5J.pdf
Old 11-21-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The French disc has been set for an April 5th release.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 11-22-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
While I enjoyed the film, I was always conscious that these were actors reciting dialogue that rarely rose above platitudes.
Which is one of the reasons they become terrorists. You could retitle this film "The Children of Boredom". These "platitudes" make perfect sense for characters which lead meaningless lives, have no hope, no projects, no future, and don't want to leave this world being insignificant.
Old 11-22-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally Posted by flixtime
(that'd be a kick, this being the first ever "International DVD" thread to be moved over into the "Politics Talk" forum).
Where you would immediately be branded a "terrorist lover" for trying to understand their motivations. Been there done that. Sad really.
Old 11-22-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ex, I hear you, can't even go to the "what's going down in paris..." thread. Any other releases or info?
Old 11-22-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
Any other releases or info?
According to my calculations an announcement for the German disc should be out soon.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 12-16-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Courtesy of WB the R1 disc is set for a March 21 release!
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59662

No extras yet!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-31-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just nominated by the Academy for Best Foreign picture.....

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 02-02-06, 04:09 PM

waiting for the region 1 dvd release??????

when????????????????????????
Old 02-02-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by uebetan12@yahoo
waiting for the region 1 dvd release??????

when????????????????????????
Read 2 posts before yours
Old 02-06-06, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As opposed to starting a new thread in the Movie Talk forum, I thought I'd just post here as it might be more appropriate. I just watched The War Within (2005); it was just released in Region 1 (though it doesn't seem to be stocked by some of the more popular DVD specialty e-tailers). I found it very similar to "Paradise Now" and the two films would make a nice companion piece double-feature. In many ways, I actually preferred "The War Within" over "Paradise Now". I found it more evenly entertaining/interesting and it had a fairly nice low-key level of tension/suspense throughout. I think one might say it is a slighly more commercial effort than "Paradise Now" but that didn't take anything away from the film's power while it also helped it avoid some of the more flat moments in "Paradise Now". For what it is worth, I preferred "The War Within" over the recent "Private" as well.

WARNING: the below is likely going to be some idiotic, wholly unnecessary rambling because....well, no reason really, just because (and maybe it'll help pass a few seconds for any insomniacs out there).

So with the above three films under my belt (along with a cable-TV copy of "The Hamburg Cell" which I've yet to watch), I'm all set to test my "make peace not war" theory and talk my way out of things if I'm ever kidnapped by Muslim extremists (provided I didn't first work my way on to my own government's watch list somehow by purchasing "The War Within"....in which case my extensive knowledge - and enjoyment - of patriotic American war films (and John Wayne) should gain me acquittal in any little tea party with my right-of-moderate countrymen). Aside: I wish we could hand this country over to both John Kerry and John McCain and let them run things for a while (that'd make me happier than the Red Sox winning the World Series....well, maybe not, but you couldn't get much closer....unless your talking getting me a date with Monica Bellucci.........time to click on Pro-B's signature link......goodnight all........and hello Monica!).
Old 02-06-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by flixtime
So with the above three films under my belt (along with a cable-TV copy of "The Hamburg Cell" which I've yet to watch), I'm all set to test my "make peace not war" theory and talk my way out of things if I'm ever kidnapped by Muslim extremists (provided I didn't first work my way on to my own government's watch list somehow by purchasing "The War Within"....in which case my extensive knowledge - and enjoyment - of patriotic American war films (and John Wayne) should gain me acquittal in any little tea party with my right-of-moderate countrymen). Aside: I wish we could hand this country over to both John Kerry and John McCain and let them run things for a while (that'd make me happier than the Red Sox winning the World Series....well, maybe not, but you couldn't get much closer....unless your talking getting me a date with Monica Bellucci.........time to click on Pro-B's signature link......goodnight all........and hello Monica!).
Very funny post!!

I will have a review of The War Within up shortly....

Ciao,
Pro-B

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.