Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Whats the Chance of The Real Ghostbusters coming to DVD?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-09-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with 2 episodes being on the New ghostbusters set, you think we will ever see season sets? there ninja trutles and tons of other cartoons out there. This one was my favorite growing up. Anyone else like the cartoon series
Old 08-09-05, 12:53 PM

I really enjoyed this series when I was younger too. I was pleased to see the two episodes on GB gift set as well. Maybe this is a sign of things to come? I am not sure though.
Old 08-09-05, 12:55 PM

I hope so, to me this series still holds up well. I think its better then the cartoons kids have today.
Old 08-09-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would love for this to come out on DVD. Outside of the two episodes in the new set, I have four more on VHS that I think I got from a rental place that was going out of business. But I draw the line at "Slimer and ...". Even that one episode on the disc was barely toleratable. I do like though how they picked the perfect episodes with movie tie-ins for the discs.

If I hadn't already packed my VHS up in anticipation of our next move two and a half months from now, I'd sit down for a few more episodes that I haven't seen in a couple years!
Old 08-09-05, 01:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by maingon
[Whats the Chance of The Real Ghostbusters coming to DVD?] With 2 episodes being on the New ghostbusters set, you think we will ever see season sets? there ninja trutles and tons of other cartoons out there. This one was my favorite growing up. Anyone else like the cartoon series
Oh, I'd say about the same chance as it would be if you hadn't capitalized 'Chance'.

Well, if there's two episodes on the GB movie set, then there's probably a good chance that the 'toon is in the works, or at least in the pipeline to get their own release.
Old 08-09-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Posted on another website:

I just got news that Rhino will be releasing a massive 13-disc set of this classic cartoon series on October 25, 2005. The set will contain all 78 episodes from the first and second seasons. The only special features noted are two newly produced featurettes: "Caution - Full Spooks Ahead" and "Ghostbusting for the Saturday Morning Crowd". Retail is set at a hefty $89.99.

Season One's episodes include:

Ghosts R' Us
Killerwatt
Mr. Roger's Neighborhood
Slimer, Come Home
Troll Bridge
The Boogieman Cometh
Mr. Sandman, Dream Me a Dream
When Halloween Was Forever
Look Homeward, Ray
Take Two
Citizen Ghost
Janine's Genie
Xmas Marks the Spot

Season Two consist of:

Janine's Day Off
Adventures in Slime and Space
Ragnarok and Roll
Captain Steel Saves the Day
They Call Me MISTER Slimer
Buster the Ghost
Night Game
Rollerghoster
Who Are You Calling Two-Dimensional?
Dairy Farm
Egon's Ghost
Janine Melnitz, Ghostbuster
The Cabinet of Calarmi
Ghostbuster of the Year
Egon's Dragon
No One Comes to Lupusville
The Bird of Kildarby
The Long, Long, Long, etc. Goodbye
Cold Cash and Hot Water
Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Ghost?
The Man Who Never Reached Home
Doctor, Doctor
You Can't Take It With You
Victor, the Happy Ghost
Lost and Foundry
Chicken, He Clucked
Venkman's Ghost Repellers
The Hole in the Wall Gang
Ghost Busted
The Ghostbusters in Paris
A Fright at the Opera
The Collect Call of Cathulhu
Banshee Bake a Cherry Pie
Drool, the Dogfaced Goblin
Boo-dunit
The Revenge of Murray the Mantis
The Headless Motorcyclist
The Thing in Mrs. Faversham's Attic
Moaning Stones
Knock, Knock
The Spirit of Aunt Lois
Sea Fright
Ghost Fight at the O.K. Corral
Cry Uncle
Bustman's Holiday
The Scaring of the Green
Ain't NASA-sarily So
Apocalypse -- What, NOW?
The Devil to Pay
A Ghost Grows in Brooklyn
I Am the City
Last Train to Oblivion
Beneath These Streets
Play Them Ragtime Boos
The Old College Spirit
Hard Knight's Day
Masquerade
Deadcon 1
Don't Forget the Motor City
The Devil in the Deep
Lights! Camera! Haunting!
Egon on the Rampage
Station Identification
Hanging by a Thread
Transylvanian Homesick Blues
Old 08-09-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, first of all I highly doubt there will be a massive 13 disc set. It would make far more sense to go the Batman: TAS route and release the series in two or three volumes.

second of all, if this is true, $89.99 is not a hefty price considering the run time. Assuming each episode is only 20 minutes long, that makes this rumored set 1560 minutes long. That's 26 hours. Equate that to movie purchases and you're talking anywhere from $130 to $260.

But once again I gotta point out the unlikely nature of this set's existence. I'd be much more likely to believe this if it were 3 sets of 26 instead of one massive dream-set.

Last edited by mifuneral; 08-09-05 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-09-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Since we're talking dreams, it'd be great to have maybe a five minute segment on what Bill, Dan, Harold and Ernie had to say about the cartoon. Eh, maybe not.. I wonder if any of them have even seen an episode?
Old 08-09-05, 03:07 PM

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,090 Posts
I think they've seen it. I remember when the cast was on Oprah in 1989 to promote Ghostbusters II that right before commercial Oprah asked them if she's seen the toys and cartoon. Ackroyd said, "Yeah, I'm the little fat one."

Which episodes are on the bonus disc? I'm considering picking it up simply for the episodes, but I want to be sure they are episodes I actually really enjoy.
Old 08-09-05, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by dogmatica
I think they've seen it. I remember when the cast was on Oprah in 1989 to promote Ghostbusters II that right before commercial Oprah asked them if she's seen the toys and cartoon. Ackroyd said, "Yeah, I'm the little fat one."
Yowza! As I read the post you were responding to, I remembered the exact same thing with Aykroyd saying he was the fat one on Oprah.
Old 08-09-05, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2 episodes on teh disc are Citizen Ghost, and Partners in slime. I have only watched the first episode so far and it was good. Ties in with the end of the first movie and shows how Slimer came to live with the Ghostbusters.
Old 08-09-05, 06:10 PM

can someone name me this episode? it's where the ghostbusters visit the hearst castle and they find some old ghost who likes to sled. i remember this one the most as a kid.
Old 08-09-05, 06:14 PM

I want the other Ghostbusters series, the one with the gorilla.
Old 08-09-05, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by illennium
I want the other Ghostbusters series, the one with the gorilla.
Yeah! That was the FIRST Ghostbusters (before the movie). The gorilla was played by Bob Burns, horror collector extraordinaire. Unfortunately, as he writes in his book "It Came from Bob Burn's Basement", some of the episodes of that series were lost forever because the studio literally TAPED OVER THE MASTERS.

That show was my and my brother's favorite when it was on.
Old 08-09-05, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Eh, is that info about a release of the show in October really that reliable? I think if it was coming we'd know about it by now....
Old 08-09-05, 07:56 PM

I remember The REAL Ghostbusters and really loved it as a kid, but is my memory flawed? If I remember correctly the show started out with some great animation, but for some reason the animation got really terrible towards the end. Maybe they switched animation studios?
Old 08-09-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Id be interested in a set, but theyd have to clean it up a lot more than they did for the two episodes on Ghostbusters 2. Those sounded horrible and didnt look great either.
Old 08-10-05, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Posted on another website:

I just got news that Rhino will be releasing a massive 13-disc set of this classic cartoon series on October 25, 2005. The set will contain all 78 episodes from the first and second seasons. The only special features noted are two newly produced featurettes: "Caution - Full Spooks Ahead" and "Ghostbusting for the Saturday Morning Crowd". Retail is set at a hefty $89.99.
Which website?
Old 08-15-05, 03:37 PM

Real Ghostbusters is like the one big 80s cartoon that hasn't come out on DVD yet. I'm not sure why and I don't know what Sony is waiting for. This is my favourite cartoon ever and I would kill to get this on DVD. Every year it's the same though and i'm still crossing my fingers hoping that it comes.

Hopefully 2006 will finally be the year when Real Ghostbusters comes on DVD.
Old 08-15-05, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by gorgo99
Yeah! That was the FIRST Ghostbusters (before the movie). The gorilla was played by Bob Burns, horror collector extraordinaire. Unfortunately, as he writes in his book "It Came from Bob Burn's Basement", some of the episodes of that series were lost forever because the studio literally TAPED OVER THE MASTERS.

I had the honor of meeting Bob Burns and getting a tour of his collection last spring. Nicest guy with a wealth of terrific stories. Here's a pic of Bob and myself (hold the original King Kong armature).

Me, Kong and Bob
Old 08-15-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by gorgo99

Wow, you'd have to really be a very very VERY unprofessional studio to just tape over the masters like that. That's not cool at all. Well, so much for that.
Old 08-15-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Novasonic
Which website?
It was a horror forum. I don't think it was true.
Old 08-16-05, 04:25 PM
Cool New Member

Ah yes, one of my childhood cartoon favorites of the 80s! I still have many of the episodes on VHS recorded off of syndicated TV, albeit in really lousy quality. One of the things that made this one of the best animated shows was the writing and some solid stories, it really felt like a genuine continuation of the first movie. The other thing that made it great was the artwork, I could swear at least the first few seasons the animation style was very Japanese-like. If you don't believe me just check out the intro sequence, it's definitely anime.

For a kid's show it was actually quite dark, and kinda scary for me at the time. It gave us great villains I remember like the Grendel, the Boogeyman, Samhain, and many others. But then it lost that dark appeal and devolved into what became Crapper(er, Slimer) & the Real Ghostbusters, a sad pale shadow of its former self.

Nevertheless, I'd kill for a box set of the entire series packed with extra material like original test animation, promo ads, and similar stuff. There was a site that had pics of the original promo ad for the show before it aired, and it showed a very different look for the show. All four guys wore beige uniforms, not colored and I think Egon had black hair. I guess it was to make them look more like their movie counterparts, but they changed it for some reason.
Old 08-17-05, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by deadpool24
can someone name me this episode? it's where the ghostbusters visit the hearst castle and they find some old ghost who likes to sled. i remember this one the most as a kid.
I certainly can. It's the Citizen Kane homage called "Ghostbuster of the Year". Charles Foster Hearse, publisher of Boosweek and Spooks Illustrated.

Peter: "Hey! A car phone!"
Winston: "Why don't you call your mother?"
P: "She doesn't have a car."

"Is King Kong on the other side of that?"

Funny...this is the 3rd or so thread about RGB in the last few months. I don't see why Sony doesn't put out a "best-of", or just the the first 13 episodes (including the pilot, Knock Knock, would be nice), although several episodes from Season 1 aren't worth it. I do not believe that post about Rhino releasing it. Why would Rhino have the rights, and not Sony? Bogus.
Old 08-17-05, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Punishark
I had the honor of meeting Bob Burns and getting a tour of his collection last spring. Nicest guy with a wealth of terrific stories. Here's a pic of Bob and myself (hold the original King Kong armature).

Me, Kong and Bob
You lucky guy! I'd love to get that our!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.